Cruise Critic Community
Kiwi Kruzer

Future of the Pacific Ocean????

Posted (edited)

While following the voyage of Sea Princess on her world cruise and noting her call to Pitcairn Island , I was more than interested to hear a radio talk about the plastic pollution that has turned up on Henderson Island . Henderson is one of 4  Islands  in the Pitcairn group , is very remote , uninhabited and a World Heritage Site. 

Here is a link giving more information about the situation ..... for anyone who may be interested.

It really is a sad comment on society.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/113052175/a-remote-island-is-covered-in-plastic-scientists-are-determined-to-clean-it-up

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

I saw that show last night on ABC news. Also the news on plastics being found in snow in the Arctic the other night. Very sad.

There was a adventurer that went to the bottom of the Mariana Trench a few months ago in a submersible.

As he said ,there’s be more people on the moon than the deepest part of our ocean.

And he found lot of  plastic.

The real  problem isn’t the plastic,it’s when it breaks down into molecules which takes up a lot more space and gets into the food chain.

Fish eat the effected fish and it blocks up their insides.

The fish die but the plastic molecules survive to affect the food chain again.

Forget global warming,plastics are a bigger problem.

At first when they stopped plastic shopping bags,I was annoyed but has to be done.

I looked at the photo of the beach in the article and couldn't believe my eyes.

And this is happening on an Island where nobody lives.

And as you said this is a World Heritage Site.

Shame on us as a species.

We can't change the past, but we can change the future.

Lets hope that man can clean up this mess in the oceans and on land but it seems a lot of the time making money is king and increasing the GDP of a country always wins and the enviroment loses.

Just my opinion.

Thanks David for the link.

In an ideal world, there wouldn't be rubbish in the ocean that would end up on Henderson Island or on other beaches. Maybe the fact that no-one lives on Henderson Island is the major reason the rubbish has accumulated over many decades. On our beaches, people pick up bits of rubbish every day and it doesn't accumulate.

I was told by someone who visited Japan this year that in the grocery stores the fruit and veg were all individually wrapped in plastic. You would think a country whose main source of protein comes from the ocean would be more concerned about protecting the ocean😕. Personally I am for banning the use of all non essential single use plastic. I can live without plastic straws, cups, wrappings, plates etc. When I visited Hawaii two years ago all the food trucks used paper plates, bowls and cutlery and my food tasted just fine and was just as easy to eat😀. Once upon a time the world came together and fixed the hole in the ozone layer, if we could come together in the same way we could solve the plastic crisis🤗.

54 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I was told by someone who visited Japan this year that in the grocery stores the fruit and veg were all individually wrapped in plastic. You would think a country whose main source of protein comes from the ocean would be more concerned about protecting the ocean😕. Personally I am for banning the use of all non essential single use plastic. I can live without plastic straws, cups, wrappings, plates etc. When I visited Hawaii two years ago all the food trucks used paper plates, bowls and cutlery and my food tasted just fine and was just as easy to eat😀. Once upon a time the world came together and fixed the hole in the ozone layer, if we could come together in the same way we could solve the plastic crisis🤗.

What sickens me is is the supermarkets have these plastic toys you can collect when you shop ,which will end in the garbage or the ocean.

And People are in a frenzy to collect them 

Over on the Princess board,people are filling their bags with Walmart plastic straws,cos they're outraged at the introduction of cardboard ones onboard.I'm speechless.

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Over on the Princess board,people are filling their bags with Walmart plastic straws,cos they're outraged at the introduction of cardboard ones onboard.I'm speechless.

Those people need to just give cardboard straws a try. Even with a frozen drink they don't go soggy.

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Those people need to just give cardboard straws a try. Even with a frozen drink they don't go soggy.

Yeah,but Uncle Don has told them everything is fake news and the world is perfect,lol.

Could we go back to the waxed paper straws we had when we were kids? They even had flavoured varieties. When on a HAL cruise in December our group of four had shakes and coffee at a cafe in Cairns. They had cardboard straws which were just fine.

14 hours ago, brian1 said:

Even though I agree wholeheartedly about banning plastic straws, I really dislike the taste and feel of the cardboard straws in one's mouth! 😀 I would rather go without a straw. 

Leigh

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Even though I agree wholeheartedly about banning plastic straws, I really dislike the taste and feel of the cardboard straws in one's mouth! 😀 I would rather go without a straw. 

Leigh

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

How does one taste a straw? Taste buds are on the tongue so would one need to lick the straw?

The cardboard straws I've used had no discernible taste, but I didn't try eating them. There's an idea! Edible straws, for an after drink snack. Problem solved.😉

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

How does one taste a straw? Taste buds are on the tongue so would one need to lick the straw?

The cardboard straws I've used had no discernible taste, but I didn't try eating them. There's an idea! Edible straws, for an after drink snack. Problem solved.😉

Ok, well the feel of the cardboard straw! 😀 Perhaps edible straws would solve the problem.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

I have had two edible straws. One made from sugar glass and one made from tempered chocolate. I certainly advocate for the chocolate straw🍫😋

Another solution is just have a reusable straw. They are not hard to clean, take up no space in the suitcase and in the long run you would save money🤗

Edited by ilikeanswers

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

That's easy, just drink martinis! No straw needed with those cocktail glasses. 🤣

8 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I have had two edible straws. One made from sugar glass and one made from tempered chocolate. I certainly advocate for the chocolate straw🍫😋

Another solution is just have a reusable straw. They are not hard to clean, take up no space in the suitcase and in the long run you would save money🤗

Re usable stainless steels straws have been trialled, but cleaning was a concern , and they proved very expensive as they quickly became a “collectors item “  ...

they were nicked.🤭

17 hours ago, brian1 said:

Well they have not tried the cardboard straws. They are much better in my opinion, feel much better and seem to be much more premium. There is a McDonalds that started using them at Sydney Airport near Sheps Mound. The cardboard straws are much better than the plastic garbage.

As far as rubbish in the ocean is concerned a great deal of it comes from unregulated Asian countries like Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, India, Vietnam and Malaysia which are all notorious for extremely heavy waste disposal into the ocean. It is sad but true. Visiting these countries on Naval ships you will soon see that the water surrounding them is full of their own garbage. Australia is reasonably clean when it comes to waste disposal and so is New Zealand.

16 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That's easy, just drink martinis! No straw needed with those cocktail glasses. 🤣

Sounds a brilliant idea! Fortunately, I tend to be a wine, beer or cider drinker so rarely use a straw.

Leigh

13 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Re usable stainless steels straws have been trialled, but cleaning was a concern , and they proved very expensive as they quickly became a “collectors item “  ...

they were nicked.🤭

We have a few metal straws at home that my husband purchased online, I don't think they have been used yet! 😀

47 minutes ago, possum52 said:

We have a few metal straws at home that my husband purchased online, I don't think they have been used yet! 😀

I have a mental picture of someone using a metal straw and being accidentally bumped by someone and ....oh my , their teeth get chipped

or even worse their dentures fall out !!!!

48 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

I have a mental picture of someone using a metal straw and being accidentally bumped by someone and ....oh my , their teeth get chipped

Or a punch biopsy of the soft palette.🙄

1 hour ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

That's my worry, probably why they haven't been used.

No need for straws at all in any drink.

2 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

You can get soft silicone straws or even reusable plastic straws. For the real hippy types there is bamboo straws and in Vietnam some locals are making straws out of some water reed.