Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
beachmets

Internet packages

Recommended Posts

Just looking into packages for Sky Princess in December.

 

Website says C$129 unlimited which it says is 50% less than purchasing on board.  This is for one device I assume.  

 

option 2.  C$19.49 per day 4 devices per day(which I assume BOTH spouses could use their own devices on this plan??). This is also unlimited

 

we each have $300 on board credit but Princess said cannot use the OBC for medallion unless purchased on board.

 

i am wondering if this price is really 50% less than if you purchase on board.  We have just usually used our free platinum minutes.?

 

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I have read, since you are Platinum, you will get a better deal on board on the first day. The price you get will reflect the value of your free minutes that you won't need.

 

The advance deal is the best one for anyone that does not get free minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I cannot say exactly by how much, but the price goes up on board after embarkation day.  Embarkation is the best deal on offer.  You can visit the Internet Cafe after boarding and inquire (there should be a price sheet/board on display).  Or, you can connect to ship's intranet and it should display the offers there as well.  First you "turn in" your free minutes.  In exchange, you get 25% off what non-status cruisers pay.

 

I believe the Cruise Personalizer offer is a certain level of marketing hype as they are indicating approximate savings from a list price.  I have seen a regular Medallion Net price as $10/day.  You did not indicate cruise length (presumably 7 or 14, but I guess 14??). 

 

Another factor is you listed CAD which means your cruise was booked in CAD, so not sure at which conversion rate.  Assuming it was 1.30, then the package is about $99/$100 USD.  If list is $10/day, that would mean $140 for a 14-night cruise.  As you know, your on board account will be in USD.  So will the internet offers on embarkation.  Your decision might be a bit more complex if the currency rate matters to you.

 

If it was me, I would wait until embarkation and take that offer, which will charge against OBC.  This is because of past experience and other reports on Princess board.

 

 

Edited by steelers36

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also saw this $129 unlimited internet price for our cruise,  which is for 28 days.

We are Elite and so get 500 free minutes.

Steelers36 - do you think the first day price for unlimited will be less for our 28 day cruise than the $129 sale?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2019 at 9:57 PM, richmke said:

From what I have read, since you are Platinum, you will get a better deal on board on the first day. The price you get will reflect the value of your free minutes that you won't need.

 

The advance deal is the the best one for anyone that does not get free minutes.

I was told the same by Princess personnel. We are Elite and with the elite/platinum discount, you get a better deal booking on the ship plus you can not use OBC to pay when you pre-purchase it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, chamima said:

I also saw this $129 unlimited internet price for our cruise,  which is for 28 days.

We are Elite and so get 500 free minutes.

Steelers36 - do you think the first day price for unlimited will be less for our 28 day cruise than the $129 sale?

While I cannot promise anything, I would say it is a very safe bet that it won't be more.  You are already seeing an excellent price with your 25% off.  I would say a regular cruiser would be offered your package at around $172 right now.  As had been mentioned, if bought on board, it goes against any OBC on account. 

 

Caveat - if your cruise is well off in the future, it is always possible that Princess may have a general price increase.  So that Cruise Personalizer deal may look better in future.  Assuming no price increase, then the on-board offer won't be worse.  It may be that Princess will not increase the new Medallion internet pricing at least until it is well established over the fleet.

 

Edited by steelers36

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, steelers36 said:

While I cannot promise anything, I would say it is a very safe bet that it won't be more.  You are already seeing an excellent price with your 25% off.  I would say a regular cruiser would be offered your package at around $172 right now.  As had been mentioned, if bought on board, it goes against any OBC on account. 

 

Caveat - if your cruise is well off in the future, it is always possible that Princess may have a general price increase.  So that Cruise Personalizer deal may look better in future.  Assuming no price increase, then the on-board offer won't be worse.  It may be that Princess will not increase the new Medallion internet pricing at least until it is well established over the fleet.

 

 

 

I ended up purchasing the unlimited.

It wasn't a special offer for being Elite - it was available for everyone on our cruise.

I just figured it was a good price and I might as well lock it in while I could.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, chamima said:

 

 

I ended up purchasing the unlimited.

It wasn't a special offer for being Elite - it was available for everyone on our cruise.

I just figured it was a good price and I might as well lock it in while I could.

Did you ask Princess, because on our recent Medallion Net cruise, the offer in my Cruise Personalizer was 25% lower than for regular passengers, according to a Princess rep I spoke to?  On board, that regular price was $10 less on Day 1 and therefore my package was $7.50 less (25% discounted).  I had purchased ahead of time and the Internet Mgr gave us each a $7.50 credit to our on-board account.  Even though you ordered now, I would check the pricing on embarkation day.  You do have a good price, however.

Edited by steelers36

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, steelers36 said:

Did you ask Princess, because on our recent Medallion Net cruise, the offer in my Cruise Personalizer was 25% lower than for regular passengers, according to a Princess rep I spoke to?  On board, that regular price was $10 less on Day 1 and therefore my package was $7.50 less (25% discounted).  I had purchased ahead of time and the Internet Mgr gave us each a $7.50 credit to our on-board account.  Even though you ordered now, I would check the pricing on embarkation day.

 

Thanks - I definitely will do that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, chamima said:

I also saw this $129 unlimited internet price for our cruise,  which is for 28 days.

We are Elite and so get 500 free minutes.

Steelers36 - do you think the first day price for unlimited will be less for our 28 day cruise than the $129 sale?

I also will be taking a 28-nt cruise and am Platinum with 500 free minutes.  When my Personalizer listed the unlimited for $129.95 I bought it, recognizing that I would not get free minutes and that it could be cheaper embarkation day.

 

I was curious about the onboard price, discounted for Plat/Elite.  Asked Princess about onboard pricing ... $149.95 less our 25% loyalty discount of $37.50

 

That $129.95 pkg no longer os on my Personalizer.  I decided not to cancel my purchase to save a few $, as no way to know how Princess may change pricing or policy before my 2020 cruise.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

Did you ask Princess, because on our recent Medallion Net cruise, the offer in my Cruise Personalizer was 25% lower than for regular passengers, according to a Princess rep I spoke to?  On board, that regular price was $10 less on Day 1 and therefore my package was $7.50 less (25% discounted).  I had purchased ahead of time and the Internet Mgr gave us each a $7.50 credit to our on-board account.  Even though you ordered now, I would check the pricing on embarkation day.  You do have a good price, however.

So, I got curious since there have been reports that the pre-cruise Personalizer pricing is not (no longer??) actually discounted for Elites/Platinums as it was for our older booking already sailed.  Just called in regards to a new cruise we recently booked (Crown for 10 nights in Nov).  Personalizer price is $70.  Princess rep told me that is the pre-cruise price for 8 - 10 nights.  Have to wait to get 25% discount on board.  She did not have a "regular" pre-cruise price, so apparently every passenger's Cruise Personalizer has the same $70 price. 

 

I guess the on-board price should be about $52.50 with our discount.  We shall see as I intend to wait since departure is not too far off.  

 

What I am wondering now is if we really will realize 25% off.  If our discount is off the ship "list price" of $90 to $100 on embarkation that the rep indicated, then we are not saving that much compared to first-time cruisers.

 

Edited by steelers36

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...