Cruise Critic Community

I was actually looking at this exact exclusion yesterday with TID and didn't understand the alcohol clause.  It seems if you only have 1 glass of wine and then slip on the deck and break your ankle then you're not covered.  Seems very unfair to me, does the ship medical centre give everyone a blood alcohol test everytime someone comes in with an injury?

1 hour ago, IngFam said:

I was actually looking at this exact exclusion yesterday with TID and didn't understand the alcohol clause.  It seems if you only have 1 glass of wine and then slip on the deck and break your ankle then you're not covered.  Seems very unfair to me, does the ship medical centre give everyone a blood alcohol test everytime someone comes in with an injury?

After speaking to Insure & go regarding this...their answer was  No alcohol or you're not covered.

I then phoned 1Cover & their explanation regarding slipping or tripping was if there was a reason for you to slip , maybe water on floor then you are covered, because it was a slipping hazard.

All very tricky I think.

Another T&C to be aware of is the time after an operation before they will cover you. My policy states 9 months.

3 hours ago, joejoe 59 said:

After speaking to Insure & go regarding this...their answer was  No alcohol or you're not covered.

I then phoned 1Cover & their explanation regarding slipping or tripping was if there was a reason for you to slip , maybe water on floor then you are covered, because it was a slipping hazard.

All very tricky I think.

I haven't heard of anyone applying it unfairly.

But they need to take into consideration as well, hence it comes down to the specifics of the situation.

1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

I haven't heard of anyone applying it unfairly.

But they need to take into consideration as well, hence it comes down to the specifics of the situation.

True, but there's  a  big difference between one drink & having an accident or being hissed, as you cruise card would show.

Agreed, it's not open slather so they take both into account.

But I haven't heard of anyone being rejected for a single drink, which Im sure would cause people to be annoyed if it were to happen.

11 hours ago, joejoe 59 said:

True, but there's  a  big difference between one drink & having an accident or being hissed, as you cruise card would show.

And some people can be hissed on one drink, others in total control after dozens, I worked with a fellow who would drink about 20 scotches and still blow zero on the breatherlyser.

4 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

And some people can be hissed on one drink, others in total control after dozens, I worked with a fellow who would drink about 20 scotches and still blow zero on the breatherlyser.

I would be comatose or dead if I had 20 drinks & well & truly hissed by 5, so yes everybody processes booze differently.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Was he big, like 7 foot tall and 300kg ? 😮.    20 scotches should blow at least .20%.   Lke 4 times the legal driving limit of .05% in NSW.

One of my skills in my previous life was a Breath Analysis  Operator.😎

Edited by NSWP

15 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Was he big, like 7 foot tall and 300kg ? 😮.    20 scotches should blow at least .20%.   Lke 4 times the legal driving limit of .05% in NSW.

One of my skills in my previous life was a Breath Analysis  Operator.😎

I’d say he was big but not huge the police were dumbfounded just something strange in his metabolism

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I’d say he was big but not huge the police were dumbfounded just something strange in his metabolism

I would have given him a run for ye old 'Drive Under the Influence of Intoxicating Liquor"  (DUI)  then.  He would have had to have some symptoms at least, gait, breath, eyes, etc, etc.

Convicted, fined $2000 and disqualified from driving for two years your worship.🤣  No 556A or Section 10 Dismissal.🤬 Now Mr Gut, are you going to lodge an appeal on behalf of the defendant ? 🤣

Edited by NSWP

On 8/22/2019 at 12:45 PM, IngFam said:

The problem with TID is that they don’t cover for any pre existing conditions that are not on the list as being automatically covered.

4 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

I would have given him a run for ye old 'Drive Under the Influence of Intoxicating Liquor"  (DUI)  then.  He would have had to have some symptoms at least, gait, breath, eyes, etc, etc.

My ex was like that. 6ft tall, about 120kgs, and in 15 years I never saw him show the slightest sign of being drunk no matter how much he'd had to drink. A friend who had access to a breathalyser tested him a couple of times and he blew zero both times. Nevertheless he didn't drive when he'd been drinking.

We have done our travel insurance through Tilda Insurance very cost effective and cover cruising.