Cruise Critic Community
doconner

Any recent experience comparing UK and US beverage packages?

As an American Expat living in London, I book on price either with the US or the UK. 

Previously when I've booked with a UK travel agent my card was printed UBP+CJ or something, which entitled me to speciality coffees (and juices?) at any time.  It's been a few years since I've booked NCL through the UK agent, and I'm wondering if anyone knows if there is still that added difference?  I also think I got extra bottles of water in the cabin, though that might have been something specifically with the travel agent.

Thanks,

The UBP-CJ code was under the all inclusive package offered in the UK. As that has now stopped and been replaced by Free at Sea for £99, the CJ has been discontinued, along with the bottles of water in the room. You still don't have to pay for gratuities for the drinks package though. 

As the previous poster said we have the free at sea for £99 for the entire cruise you get the UBP and three nights speciality dining and no gratuity on top.

The pound is ridiculously weak against the USD at the moment so might be worth checking, it depends what is important to you.

Last cruise we got a couple of bottles of water but not speciality coffee etc.

Water from the dispensers tastes fine we take our own stainless steel reusable bottles and straws.

£99 for the entire week? That’s really good. $1=£0.82 at the moment, so $120, the gratuity on the UBP and UDP would be more than that on a USA purchase I think.

32 minutes ago, stefmaia said:

£99 for the entire week? That’s really good. $1=£0.82 at the moment, so $120, the gratuity on the UBP and UDP would be more than that on a USA purchase I think.

Yes all in you get three night UDP and seven days UBP for that. In Europe you are not allowed to charge gratuity on packages. So that is it not a penny or cent more!

you can also choose some internet time or OBC however this is the best value and suits us!!

when you choose your cabin to book it says do you want free at sea for £99 and what would you like. This is on an inside sailaway cabin, I think if you book a much higher one you get more (just don’t quote me on that!)

The cost for free at sea differs depending on the length of the cruise. It is £49 for 1-6 days, £99 for 7-9 days, £149 for 10-13 days, £199 for 13-17 days and £249 for 18+

The number of meals also varies, and that bit is worse value for longer cruises as it maxes out at 5 meals for 11+ days.

I have booked with an American online site in dollars and with a UK site and directly with NCL in £s The pricing structure isn't as simple as in the UK you pay £99 for the Free  at sea ( on 7 days) on top of the base fare and no service charges. The base price in the UK v the USA is higher to start with . Because the £ is so low against the $ this year it was cheaper to buy in the UK but last years cruise booked in 2017 on the Bliss was significantly cheaper in $ in total ( including the service charges on dinning and beverage packages and DSC ) then the Uk price.

Its important to look at final cost with all taxes and service charges added to make a fair comparison.

35 minutes ago, ppcox said:

I have booked with an American online site in dollars and with a UK site and directly with NCL in £s The pricing structure isn't as simple as in the UK you pay £99 for the Free  at sea ( on 7 days) on top of the base fare and no service charges. The base price in the UK v the USA is higher to start with . Because the £ is so low against the $ this year it was cheaper to buy in the UK but last years cruise booked in 2017 on the Bliss was significantly cheaper in $ in total ( including the service charges on dinning and beverage packages and DSC ) then the Uk price.

Its important to look at final cost with all taxes and service charges added to make a fair comparison.

Agree completely the pound has been weak for some time at the moment it is the weakest. You do need to to make sure you compare apples with apples.