Cruise Critic Community

We were on the July 26th sailing of Radiance and did the Land Tour after.  We were supposed to return to Anchorage from Denali by train, but were told there was a rock slide on the tracks. We returned by bus.  This was something we were looking forward to.  We still have not heard about compensation for this cancelled portion of our trip and I feel this is terrible Customer Service.  I am not even convinced the story we were given was even true.  I am very disappointed in Royal for not reaching out or coming to some settlement.

4 minutes ago, Eriksgarden said:

.... We were supposed to return to Anchorage from Denali by train, but were told there was a rock slide on the tracks. We returned by bus.....  I am not even convinced the story we were given was even true.

Did you pay extra to return by train or was that part of the transportation during the land tour?  

A quick Google search shows that Alaska received an unusual amount of rain in July causing officials to close roads and tracks in the area for rock slides or for visitors safety due to potential rock/land slides.

Was it between Saturday, August 3rd and Monday August 5th? There were a series of mudslides and rockslides that caused trains to be stopped and rerouted onto buses.

Unfortunately, if there's a landslide blocking the tracks, there really isn't anything that can be done. It takes a while to clear the tracks and then they have to do safety inspections to make sure nothing was damaged. 

There have been multiple mud and rock slides this summer. You could call the rail line and verify that that is why they couldn't take you by train. Have you reached out to Royal Caribbean? It sounds like you are waiting for them. 

Posted (edited)

Just did quick search and even though havent seen current stories over the last 5yrs there has been dozen rock and mud slides on Alaska Train Tracks. Happens alot. One alone 2yrs ago shut Train Tracks down for months. Not sure how your situation is handled, different but over the yrs have missed dozen Ports while on ship and no Compensation for a Sea day except once free drinks for 2hrs. Not sure what you expect, part of Travel and change might not be same as Cruise. 

Edited by ONECRUISER

Saw a story yesterday about the mud/rock slides and that 300 stranded cruise ship passengers were rescued.  Be glad you weren't stuck.  Changes occur. Sometimes you have to go with the flow. 

They will refund you...no worries.  Refunds take a bit of time (don't know why, it's merely a stroke of a key), but they will make it right.

I doubt you will get anything.  They had to provide transportation, not necessarily your preferred or advertised transportation.  

They did so.  

Posted (edited)

Just spoke again with our travel agent.  She has been getting a run-around.  We fully understand that things happen and absolutely go with the flow.  On the day of cancellation, nobody in our group complained or pressed the tour guide in charge.  We figured Royal would make good on this.  If one were to purchase tickets just for this leg of the train, it would cost between $200 and $250 per person, so the bus ride back just doesn't cut it.  The train itself is a big pitch for the land tour.  I submit this more as a complaint on slow, unresponsive Customer Service.  We will never extend a cruise with a land tour again, but plan our own way.  

Edited by Eriksgarden

We will never extend a cruise with a land tour again, but plan our own way.  

Still wouldn't have gotten you on the train that day.

58 minutes ago, hapster85 said:

Still wouldn't have gotten you on the train that day. emoji57.png

And again, it's not as much about the train as slow, unresponsive Customer Service.  

Posted (edited)

What type of compensation are you looking to receive? Are you the only person in the group expecting some sort of recompense? 

I tried to find your roll call but was unsuccessful in seeing any post cruise posts. You called the tour "phenomenal" in this post: 

Edited by JennyB1977

35 minutes ago, Eriksgarden said:

And again, it's not as much about the train as slow, unresponsive Customer Service.  

Except for the suspicion that they lied to you, which seems not to be the case. Yet that distrust likely has colored your attitude toward RC. Are you still thinking the train was not really prevented from running?

Had you gone with a non-RC land tour, would you have had to arrange your own transportation back to Anchorage?

You and your TA need to be clear about what you are requesting by way of compensation.  You will get a better response that way.

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Except for the suspicion that they lied to you, which seems not to be the case. Yet that distrust likely has colored your attitude toward RC. Are you still thinking the train was not really prevented from running?

Had you gone with a non-RC land tour, would you have had to arrange your own transportation back to Anchorage?

The train was the whole reason for going with Royal.  Otherwise, we would have planned something different.  When I Googled it, I did not see the rockslide evidence.  I'm actually glad others found it.  I at least believe they did not mislead us on that.

Edited by Eriksgarden

I understand your disappointment. I love trains myself. Very much enjoyed our time on it during our Alaskan land tour with Royal a few years ago. I don't get, however, why you're expecting compensation under the circumstances? You weren't left stranded in Denali. You were still transported to Anchorage, presumably for your flight home.

If you'd booked the rail trip on your own, maybe they would've arranged an alternative, but I'm guessing not. You likely would've been waiting hours or days for the track to clear, or refunded and left to find your own way.

Normally I would say RCI transported you to Anchorage so they fulfilled their contract. 

However, the train is a major attraction and very special, so I agree there should be some compensation even though the rock or mud slide was out of their control. 

Several years ago the first day of our Rocky Mountaineer trip from Banff to Vancouver was by bus because they were unable to use the tracks. The tracks don’t belong to Rocky Mountaineer just like the ones from Denali to Anchorage don’t belong to RCI.

Rocky Mountaineer made the bus experience as much like the train’s would have been as they could. 

A month after we returned home, we got a letter apologizing for the situation and offering the same trip FREE to make up for it.

That is exemplary customer service!