Cruise Critic Community

We are going on a RC cruise in January... we aren't big drinkers but its nice to have a few alcohol beverages specially on the days at sea. Is it best to get the drink packages or pay for what you drink each day ?

It depends on how much you drink. Drinks on Royal are in the $11 range, so you would need to average 5 drinks a day at least in order to make the package worth it, depending on how much it costs you (we paid $46 pp/pd plus gratuity). The package also includes specialty coffees, soda, bottled water and milkshakes. Our last cruise was the first time we purchased a package and we only did because we were able to buy it for just a little more than what our total bar bill was on our previous cruise and we enjoyed trying drinks that we wouldn't necessarily buy on our own (I don't want to buy a drink and find out that I don't like it). We found some new drinks that we enjoy so we can switch things up from time to time.

1 minute ago, peanut1277 said:

THANK YOU SO MUCH SPARKS1093

You are welcome. Remember to figure out how much you are going to drink on the ship when you are in port. We only had one drink each on our day in Port Canaveral (long day ashore), but we more than made up for that on the sea days and the day at Coco Cay. By my reckoning when it was all said and done each drink cost us about $7 each so for us it was worth it.

i'm curious, if you buy a drink, (not with pkg) if you didn't like it, if the bartender would be nice enough to replace it?

I have been reading on the forms that the ship usually has a daily drink special ? is that true ? roughly w/out drink package they average what ?

A consideration is also how many ports you are visiting and the time off the ship. If you’re cruising from San Juan Puerto Rico and going to a port every day you will be having beers and drinks at beaches, etc. 

My wife doesn’t drink and I enjoy the Diamond lounge for a few. We always book inside cheaper cabin and cruise more often. Quantity is key to us.

My 88 year young mother only cruises with including drinks package and same with her friends.

It’s strictly a personal thing but we as a couple could never break even on the additional cost. If money is tight you usually can get buckets of beer at a slightly discounted price. Bring 2 bottles of wine onboard. Enjoy cheaper drinks onshore excluding Bermuda very expensive.

On 8/23/2019 at 8:46 AM, nalatrixie74 said:

i'm curious, if you buy a drink, (not with pkg) if you didn't like it, if the bartender would be nice enough to replace it?

No way 

On 8/23/2019 at 9:46 AM, nalatrixie74 said:

On 8/24/2019 at 11:51 AM, not-enough-cruising said:

No way 

They absolutely will be happy to replace it, they will just charge you for the cost of the drink in the process.