PORT CITY HOTEL INFO

Holly g

If you are writing a review of your cruise could you please add the name of the hotel, if any, you stayed at pre or post cruise?  It would be so helpful to other CC readers if we could get ideas of were to stay in cities we haven’t been to. We will be in Amsterdam in May 2020 and trying to find an hotel but are unfamiliar with this city. I’ve read so many post cruise reviews where CC members state they stayed a few days but do not indicate the hotel name and if they would stay again. Actually a few did in other cities but not Amsterdam. 

Anyone else who would find this helpful?  I have found CC to be a wealth of travel knowledge but this seems to be one area that is lacking or am I not looking on the right boards?  Thanks everyone.

• Like 1

Also try the Europe ports boards.

Tons of hotel questions.

For Amsterdam. For us, the Banks Mansion was wonderful.  Walkable (for us) everywhere from Anne Franks to the museums to the Red Light district.  On canals and absolutely enchanting with great staff that are really helpful.

It’s basically all inclusive.  Everything from the cheese tray and munchies in the late afternoon/early evening & wine, to the self serve bar with sodas, water, beers, whatever and coffee machine to breakfast in the morning and liquor treats in your room.

If I was staying in Amsterdam again, it would definitely be the first hotel I would check for pricing.

2 hours ago, Holly g said:

If you are writing a review of your cruise could you please add the name of the hotel, if any, you stayed at pre or post cruise?  It would be so helpful to other CC readers if we could get ideas of were to stay in cities we haven’t been to. We will be in Amsterdam in May 2020 and trying to find an hotel but are unfamiliar with this city. I’ve read so many post cruise reviews where CC members state they stayed a few days but do not indicate the hotel name and if they would stay again. Actually a few did in other cities but not Amsterdam. 

Anyone else who would find this helpful?  I have found CC to be a wealth of travel knowledge but this seems to be one area that is lacking or am I not looking on the right boards?  Thanks everyone.

We have stayed at both The Pulitzer Hotel and the Andaz , both in an excellent location and on the canal  , good food , brilliant concierge advice , and fabulous service. I have stayed in Kimpton hotels and they are quite nice. Location location location 😊

Edited by Calicokat

33 minutes ago, Holly g said:

Thanks but I can’t find this topic on CC. ???

I am unfamiliar with this one too and I went looking.

but here is the link for the Europe ports board for your area.

Lots of hotel discussion and you can post your question and thread there too 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/148-british-isleswestern-europe/

hope this helps 😉 

2 hours ago, Holly g said:

Thanks but I can’t find this topic on CC. ???

Amsterdam will be covered on the Western Europe board, which also has Italy, Greece, France and Northern Europe nearby. There is the Western and Eastern Coast Departure boards, and the Florida Departures boards cover those respective areas.

6 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Amsterdam will be covered on the Western Europe board, which also has Italy, Greece, France and Northern Europe nearby. There is the Western and Eastern Coast Departure boards, and the Florida Departures boards cover those respective areas.

I think the confusion is arising from the title you are giving that section of CC namely, - “Departure Boards”.

I believe you are talking about the “Ports of Call” section for which I gave the OP the link.

Thanks everyone. The problem for me is the price of the hotels in that time period. The hotels you have mentioned look wonderful but my dates of May 10-14 seem to be a busy time with some type of international finance meeting going on which has skyrocketed the hotel prices to double and even triple. The Holland America hotel they use is $574 /nite plus tax which is much higher then the norm (Mövenpick hotel) and the other hotels have a sharp increase as well.  Maybe we will stay outside Amsterdam and take the train up for a day. 

Since you have 9 months before your stay, you could do what I do.  After checking reviews on Trip Advisor and here, I find the hotel I want, and book at a refundable price.  Then I watch prices every few days.  I've gotten some excellent deals by doing this, as prices go up and down constantly.  If I see a great deal (and they sometimes only last a couple days) I cancel my refundable rate and book the better rate.  Of course there are times when the prices only go up, but then I feel good that I booked when I did!

Presently we are booked at Movenpick for early next month based on recommendations from friends and others here on CC.  

Edited by Cruising-along

As value-minded travelers we often stay at the Ibis chain hotels; I would avoid Ibis Budget, but either a regular Ibis or Ibis Styles would possibly be an option. We stayed at the Hotel Ibis Amsterdam Centre Stopera a few years ago and found it to be conveniently located, within a short walk from most of the major attractions.

$173
Aug 26–27

3-star hotel

On 8/20/2019 at 12:53 PM, daisy-mae said:

As value-minded travelers we often stay at the Ibis chain hotels; I would avoid Ibis Budget, but either a regular Ibis or Ibis Styles would possibly be an option. We stayed at the Hotel Ibis Amsterdam Centre Stopera a few years ago and found it to be conveniently located, within a short walk from most of the major attractions.A$173

Aug 26–27

3-star hotel

Thanks everyone for your input. Will keep looking.

Holly G....have you tried sites like "booking.com" or "hotels.com" as you can sometimes get good deals on those.  

I don't know how long your are going to be in Amsterdam but I remember something Rick Steeves said about booking a hotel in or outside of town.  If you have a few days then it is fine to stay outside a city as it is way cheaper.  If you are only in a city for a day then you want to see as much as you can.  It is probably way better to pay the extra money to be in the center of things and not use up those extra hours for travel time in and out of the city.  Great advice I think.