Cruise Critic Community
kurtp13

Theme cruise by chance

I happened to pick a cruise that has a large group of 50s music cruisers.   What can I expect?   Will the entertainment be more limited for those of us that didn't book for this event.  Will some theme events be inclusive for all of us?   Just don't know what to expect.   I hope we won't feel like second class passengers.   

Hoping for some insight from others that may have been in the same situation.  

You will probably have access to the same ship entertainment that you would have had without the group.  Some public venues may be taken over by the group from time to time.

Expect some cut back in access to rooms normally used for dance music at night.  They usually make up for this by offering an on deck concert you can attend toward end of cruise.

With 50's music expect a really old average age.

13 hours ago, timbom said:

With 50's music expect a really old average age.

My last cruise was on Grandeur in March so I think I have an idea what to expect.   

I'm just hoping that there aren't a lot of venues taken over that we will not be allowed into.   I've seen special events for groups before, but I think this is a big event.   There appear to be a lot of entertainers scheduled.    

Good chance of being cancelled.

Our Alaskan cruise in 2018 was to be a rock n roll cruise (bookings) from a TA in Georgia.

Never happened ------ the prices thru this company were $$$$$$ over the top.

The rock n roll cruise cancelled about 5  months out.

We had booked this cruise before it was a theme cruise, and glad it never came to be.

Good Luck, hopefully a cancellation for the theme on your cruise also.

Safe travels.

There will be "Theme Cruiser's Only" events in the main theater as well as the smaller club-like rooms.  The cruise will do what it can to offer alternatives but space on a cruise ship is finite so there is only so much they can do when offering alternatives.

Here's a great site to check when booking cruises to help you avoid theme cruises:  http://themecruisefinder.com/

Also, I recommend that you check with customer service and ask if there are any themes/affinity groups on a particular sailing.

We were on a rccl cruise a few years ago and there was a very large group of first responders and they did hire a former American idol contestant to do a private show, we were in a suite and they invited us in also. 

We also do music charters but they have the entire ship so far all on celebrity. 

We had a very large LGBTQ (Aquafest) group on our Liberty cruise last November which we only found out about after we had booked and paid.  I was a bit nervous as we are a bit on the conservative side and I wasn't sure how it would affect the cruise overall. However, it is a really big ship and besides an extreme amount of glitter on formal nights and some rather flamboyant outfits there was no effect whatsoever.  Everything that would normally be available was available.  They had private events at venues that otherwise would have been closed at that time. We had great time and got to know some great people...  

The Rocky and the Rollers cruise was on the same cruise that we were on.  The only way we could tell that they were on board was that there was more matching t shirts than usual.  It didn’t impact any of the regular entertainment or venues.

We are on this cruise I believe. Usually most of their activities are in the ice rink, studio B and have very little effect on the rest of us.  We may see some older ladies in poodle skirts which might be entertaining....and yes an older crowd.  

On 8/20/2019 at 5:12 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

The Rocky and the Rollers cruise was on the same cruise that we were on.  The only way we could tell that they were on board was that there was more matching t shirts than usual.  It didn’t impact any of the regular entertainment or venues.

Yes.  This is the cruise we are doing.  I couldn't remember the name of the primary group.  I kind of hope there is some crossover.   They have some legacy groups that I don't have much familiarity with but kind of know some of their songs.    I just don't want to feel like a second class citizen.   The RCCL price for this cruise doubled since we booked.  I don't know what the theme participants paid.   

13 minutes ago, kurtp13 said:

Yes.  This is the cruise we are doing.  I couldn't remember the name of the primary group.  I kind of hope there is some crossover.   They have some legacy groups that I don't have much familiarity with but kind of know some of their songs.    I just don't want to feel like a second class citizen.   The RCCL price for this cruise doubled since we booked.  I don't know what the theme participants paid.   

Prices for the cruise start at $1465pp plus taxes and gratuities per person for insides.

I wouldn’t worry about it.  Like I said, if we hadn’t seen all the matching shirts we wouldn’t have known they were on the cruise.

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Prices for the cruise start at $1465pp plus taxes and gratuities per person for insides.

I wouldn’t worry about it.  Like I said, if we hadn’t seen all the matching shirts we wouldn’t have known they were on the cruise.

Our music charter which again is entire ship is 500 move pp, but we love them Artists like Micheal McDonald,  America, BJ Thomas, Boz Scaggs etc hate to say what our Royal suite cost,

Been on two cruises that had large groups.  On both they had events that booked up an entire venue but it didn't really interfere with what we we doing.  They both also had brought some well known musicians. One had a pool party that was open for the entire ship, the other we were able to listen to one playing in one of the dance bars.  Both times the people attending were very nice but then again they both were geared to people that were 50+ years old.

We might be on the same cruise: DH and I booked Adventure of the Seas for its ABC Island itinerary almost two years in advance, before any theme cruises were announced.  Now there is a Rocky N The Rollers Event going on.  I'm staying optimistic that the more passengers going to the theme cruise events, the fewer passengers will be at the pool when I want to chill out!