Greggs gets Azamars order

oddjob16

During our Journey Norway cruise in July, Chef Iwan went off with crew members three times . . . fresh cheeses, fresh berries, and fresh salmon . . . each was a special treat!

• Like 1

Maybe its me but I have always seen the buy ashore items as treats and very special products and for me Greggs doesn't quite paint the right image for Azamara - its not as if even a Greggs sausage roll is unique to that area.  But if it made others happy fair enough.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, uktog said:

Maybe its me but I have always seen the buy ashore items as treats and very special products and for me Greggs doesn't quite paint the right image for Azamara - its not as if even a Greggs sausage roll is unique to that area.  But if it made others happy fair enough.

I agree, somebody must have advised Johannes but Gregg's would not have been my choice, OK I know I am spoiled by my Wife's home baking.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 2

In April onboard Pursuit in Lisbon we were treated to Pasteis de Nata, brought onboard from the Belem bakery. Delicious. Also saved us queueing up the next day amongst hundreds of other tourists in order to sample them

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cinnamon said:

In April onboard Pursuit in Lisbon we were treated to Pasteis de Nata, brought onboard from the Belem bakery. Delicious. Also saved us queueing up the next day amongst hundreds of other tourists in order to sample them

Does Azamara post signage or anything to note a local item they're serving (or ingredients they're using)?  Offhand I can't recall being made aware of local foods, although I assume in the dining room it's listed in the description and I just don't remember.

44 minutes ago, hiccups said:

Does Azamara post signage or anything to note a local item they're serving (or ingredients they're using)?  Offhand I can't recall being made aware of local foods, although I assume in the dining room it's listed in the description and I just don't remember.

No they don’t it’s why DH has to avoid many of the offerings. I doubt they know with some items. 

They usually announce they have x onboard but it’s typically served as part of dinner  that wouldn’t work here. 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, cinnamon said:

We didn’t know in advance that the Pasteis were being brought onboard. 

Also, we’ve had local cheeses in the Mediterranean on other cruises. They were laid out in the Buffet. 

I missed them. I think the rationale is two fold. It's a nice surprise and if they advertise it too much they will run out and have none left for the crew 😀

It can be a very memorable experience. I was on a Norwegian Fjords cruise on Journey a few years ago. Captain Johannes and some of the crew took a zodiac and picked up a good supply of strawberries.  Later that afternoon he passed by in Mosaic and asked Helen and I if we had had some strawberries. I said no and I'd missed the announcement. "Hang on" he said and off he went. 10 minutes he comes back to our table in Mosaic with a big bowl of strawberries and cream with an even bigger smile on his face. Something I will always remember. 😎🍓

Phil 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

I agree, somebody must have advised Johannes but Gregg's would not have been my choice, OK I know I am spoiled by my Wife's home baking.

From the local paper, it sounds like it was the Cruise Director who suggested Gregg’s.  https://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/people/boatload-of-greggs-treats-is-delivered-to-luxury-cruise-liner-on-maiden-voyage-to-north-east-490998

• Like 1

In Norway the fresh berries were served with waffles and cream near the Living Room. The initial plan had been to serve them up on the jogging track, but it proved too cold for folk to queue up for them, so they served in the hall just outside the entrance to the Living Room. 

5 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

In Norway the fresh berries were served with waffles and cream near the Living Room. The initial plan had been to serve them up on the jogging track, but it proved too cold for folk to queue up for them, so they served in the hall just outside the entrance to the Living Room. 

When we were on the fjords cruise they served them as a dessert at dinner:  Strawberries Melba.  (Thank you, Dame Nellie.  In Savannah maybe we could have had Peach instead.)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I also had them several mornings in the mixed fresh berries in Windows; they were delicious 

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 3:27 PM, hiccups said:

On one Pursuit cruise (maiden voyage perhaps) we had Isle of Man cheese, served at the jazz brunch ....which was clearly labelled...... and everyone enjoyed it so much, that it was forever being  for in Windows!! If I remember the story, I think it was gifted to Captain Carl when he 'called in' to Douglas when trying out the new ship. On Quest, I did try to persuade Fabio  to purchase some 'Stornoway Black Pudding'........ when we sailed round Britain and into Stornoway!!

11 hours ago, Lookyboy said:

On one Pursuit cruise (maiden voyage perhaps) we had Isle of Man cheese, served at the jazz brunch ....which was clearly labelled...... and everyone enjoyed it so much, that it was forever being  for in Windows!! If I remember the story, I think it was gifted to Captain Carl when he 'called in' to Douglas when trying out the new ship. On Quest, I did try to persuade Fabio  to purchase some 'Stornoway Black Pudding'........ when we sailed round Britain and into Stornoway!!

Yes Stornaway Black Pudding is an example of a food protected as  regional/traditional food under wider legislation and has a unique taste.  To date Azamara has typically focussed on protected and artisan foods which I applaud.  

Norwegian cheeses and strawberries are likewise protected as are Cornish pasties now.

The Greggs example is a brand and not a regional/artisan product.  Its kind of the UK equivalent of Subway.

14 minutes ago, uktog said:

Yes Stornaway Black Pudding is an example of a food protected as  regional/traditional food under wider legislation and has a unique taste.  To date Azamara has typically focussed on protected and artisan foods which I applaud.  

Norwegian cheeses and strawberries are likewise protected as are Cornish pasties now.

The Greggs example is a brand and not a regional/artisan product.  Its kind of the UK equivalent of Subway.

The Stottie cake is regional but the Greggs version would hardly be a classic example.

• Like 1

Most recent cruise to Alaska had local fish many nights. It is always good to eat local dishes. Halibut was really delicious.  The local food additions to the already good menus was a highlight.  Azamara food is interesting with new additions added in ports where fresh items are available. 

• Like 2