Greggs gets Azamars order

oddjob16

A much better sample of the North East of England classic food would have been a delivery of Craster Kippers from a few miles north of Newcastle on the Northumberland coast.

They are sometimes special and worth getting excited about.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

A much better sample of the North East of England classic food would have been a delivery of Craster Kippers from a few miles north of Newcastle on the Northumberland coast.

They are sometimes special and worth getting excited about.

They are always special, the above should read something.

When traveling, it is fun to explore new cuisines.  One of the nice features of Azamara and other smaller ships is being treated to local flavors.  On any cruise, I try to eat lunch off the ship.  I often stay in a port either before or after a cruise.  Like to explore the ports and especially enjoy the local foods and customs.  Azamara is excellent at getting guests to try foreign food. One of my best travel experiences was at an Amazing evening in Bordeaux at the Chateau Giscours. The wine was fabulous.  It was so good that when we got home, we inquired if we could get it. Only sold to other wineries to make blends. That was certainly an Amazing evening that you could not experience on your own. Nice memories include food.

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:24 PM, Redtravel said:

When traveling, it is fun to explore new cuisines.  One of the nice features of Azamara and other smaller ships is being treated to local flavors.  On any cruise, I try to eat lunch off the ship.  I often stay in a port either before or after a cruise.  Like to explore the ports and especially enjoy the local foods and customs.  Azamara is excellent at getting guests to try foreign food. One of my best travel experiences was at an Amazing evening in Bordeaux at the Chateau Giscours. The wine was fabulous.  It was so good that when we got home, we inquired if we could get it. Only sold to other wineries to make blends. That was certainly an Amazing evening that you could not experience on your own. Nice memories include food.

We now never eat lunch (nor drink) off the ship......years of increasing awareness of food handling,  food preparation, and  food  hygiene  issues from Azamara captains have taught us this.

2 minutes ago, Lookyboy said:

We now never eat lunch (nor drink) off the ship......years of increasing awareness of food handling,  food preparation, and  food  hygiene  issues from Azamara captains have taught us this.

Sorry... should have said.... this is our subjective comment. (and by the way.... WELL DONE LEE.........Greggs... fabulous idea.....and thank you Captain Johannes for allowing this quirky (non serious)  but so successful stint to go ahead.....Loads of good publicity for Azamara.  Have a great vacation, Lee, if you are reading this in Vegas. (I doubt it!!) Job well done, I would say!!

Sorry that you aren’t able to enjoy the cuisine off the ship in ports.  Being in a foreign country includes experiencing local foods.  Never had any problem eating in Europe. In some countries, it is wise to stick to cooked food and drink bottled beverages. Also, skip the ice. Never got food poisoning in any port. My spouse did get food poisoning on a ship. It was not Azamara.  Luckily for you, Azamara will bring some local food onto the ship. Just in case, I pack a first aid travel kit which includes Imodium.  Get out there and experience life. You may discoverer that you like some new foods. Enjoy!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lookyboy said:

That is such a shame and way over the top in most places in my view. Granted, if you were eating street food in a dodgy place then yes, I’d be careful. India is a good example. Go with a good tour guide and they certainly won’t take you to anywhere they are unsure of because their reputation is on the line.

I’ve eaten off the ship with the Captain on more than one occasion.  Not meant as a brag, just to make the point that this is a misguided approach. 

Phil

• Like 1

We've had some wonderful meals in Italy and France!  Even if we don't have a meal, we always try to have a glass of the local spirits, be it wine or beer, sitting at a sidewalk cafe where we can take in the local ambience.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lookyboy said:

For me one of the great pleasures of travelling is eating the local food and trying the local drinks.I haven’t never had food poisoning abroad but I did once get it from a very expensive British restaurant! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, laurieb said:

We've had some wonderful meals in Italy and France!  Even if we don't have a meal, we always try to have a glass of the local spirits, be it wine or beer, sitting at a sidewalk cafe where we can take in the local ambience.

We just prefer to be safe. I did say it was a subjective comment......and have no wish to create any bad feeling. Sorry if I appear to be misguided.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lookyboy said:

We just prefer to be safe. I did say it was a subjective comment......and have no wish to create any bad feeling. Sorry if I appear to be misguided.

Not at all!  We all like to stay in our comfort zones.  I really appreciate Azamara bringing on local products for the guests to enjoy; it gives guests who don’t like to eat onshore an opportunity to enjoy local offerings 

I agree, eating on shore can be a fabulous way to explore independently and enjoy local culture especially if you find somewhere frequented by locals which in our assessment is always a great sign. It’s all about looking carefully and choosing wisely, Phil’s right, officers and crew often eat ashore so ask them for suggestions they’ve never let us down with their recommendations. 

In some parts of Asia I am very cautious as much in terms of communication about food allergies as anything but elsewhere it’s no different than eating back home - how clean is the place, who are the clientele etc.  Same rule applies for coffee shops and sandwich takeaways and I am afraid our local Greggs is certainly one to bypass as it doesn’t pass.  

10 hours ago, Lookyboy said:

Don't forget there are a wealth of TripAdvisor reviews out there to check if you want to add more assurance. I've had some totally memorable meals off the ship. Valletta, Santorini, Rhodes, Bali, St Petersburg, Sorrento to name a few.

Getting back to the ship to eat at the buffet all the time to me is a waste, especially when you often dock so close to town and the tagline of Azamara is destination immersion. I know we all have our own comfort zones when it comes to food though and I won't persuade you or others who do the same thing, but  wanted to add another perspective for anyone considering. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 1