Cruise Critic Community
Essiesmom

Stalking Grand Classica

Posted (edited)

She's off on her journey.  Sunday in Key West:

enhance

Today (Tuesday) at Grand Cayman (Georgetown).  Oh dear, the weather looks wet...

enhance

With Carnival Miracle hogging the cams:

enhance

enhance

enhance

Edited by Essiesmom

Very Cool, thanks for sharing.

What is her schedule after she docks in Panama?

She doesn't 'dock' in Panama, she transits the canal on Thursday (8/22) and docks in Puntarenas (Costa Rica) on the 25th and guests overnight onboard, debarking on the 26th.  After that is a mystery.  I will be following her through the canal Thursday via the canal cams:  https://multimedia.panama-canal.com/   EM

Thank you Essie’s Mom, you are so good at this. 

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

She doesn't 'dock' in Panama, she transits the canal on Thursday (8/22) and docks in Puntarenas (Costa Rica) on the 25th and guests overnight onboard, debarking on the 26th.  After that is a mystery.  I will be following her through the canal Thursday via the canal cams:  https://multimedia.panama-canal.com/   EM

Thanks!

Weather has improved...Maybe Disney fantasy brought the sun with her:

enhance

enhance

The Big Day has arrived, and so has Grand Classica:

enhance

Heading for the Atlantic Bridge

enhance

The gray stripe down her side is the shadow of the bridge as she passes under:

enhance

Entering the channel to the Gatun Locks.  The cam is looking out from the channel to the Agua Clara (new) locks

enhance

enhance

It will probably be another couple of hours until I see her again, as the Gatun Locks cam sees them as they enter the third lock.  EM

Posted (edited)

OMG!  I check back on the cam, and they have zoomed out, and as well as a colorful pic of the containership in the Agua Clara locks, we can see GC in the distance!

enhance

enhance

She is sitting outside the first lock, waiting for the ship ahead to move into the third lock so she can move into the first

enhance

The next two pics are to illustrate that the containership has moved into her second lock, and the gates are closing:

enhance

enhance

Moving into the first lock now

enhance

And out of the picture...unless they reposition the cam again...

EM

Edited by Essiesmom

Posted (edited)

In second lock at Gatun...

enhance

Oh no!!!   A darn big blue RO-RO to block our view!

enhance

Moving into the third lock

enhance

enhance

enhance

Look how far I came up in the world!

enhance

Another two or three hours to the Pedro Miguel cam...  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

Heading for Pedro Miguel Locks.  This is where the channels diverge, and if she had headed to the right, she would have ended up at Cocoli (new) Locks

enhance

Oh no!  A virtual whiteout!  Not that common at the locks

enhance

But things did clear, although the sun is gone...

enhance

enhance

Heading into the second lock at Miraflores, So bye for now.

I see some crew out on the bow.  Is that viewing area just above the bow a public area, or crew only?  I see a few folk there, too.  

enhance

Update:  Destination now Vancouver!  Now to see if she goes straight there...or makes some other stops.

enhance

Why is she going to Vancouver? This is so mysterious. Has her passengers disembarked from this cruise?

They overnighted in Puntarenas, and are supposed to debark today.    As to Vancouver...???  I checked and she is not on the port schedule for Vancouver.  Yet?  Could she be going on to Victoria for a drydock?  Mysteries abound.  I am trying to stalk her on AIS, but I'm boarding MSC Armonia today for 7 days so I am not sure how good internet will be.  EM

6 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

They overnighted in Puntarenas, and are supposed to debark today.    As to Vancouver...???  I checked and she is not on the port schedule for Vancouver.  Yet?  Could she be going on to Victoria for a drydock?  Mysteries abound.  I am trying to stalk her on AIS, but I'm boarding MSC Armonia today for 7 days so I am not sure how good internet will be.  EM

Drydock? Says who and why? Just came out in 2018. Unless it has a problem. If it does, I do not think it would have made this voyage.

6 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

hey overnighted in Puntarenas, and are supposed to debark today.    As to Vancouver...???  I checked and she is not on the port schedule for Vancouver.  Yet?  Could she be going on to Victoria for a drydock?  Mysteries abound.

It's this type of thing that causes me to hesitate to make a booking with this Company too far in advance.  My travel agent is not able to book a cruise with this Company (probably because of no commission is my guess), therefore she is unable to supply me with any information.

I'm still interested in sailing on Grand Classica, however.

9 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Have a wonderful cruise💖

I’ve sailed on the Grand Classica and her common areas are absolutely beautiful except for her theater. It is extremely dated. Also her balcony suites do not compare to the balcony suites on the Celebration so maybe they are upgrading some of the cabins also. Plus the specialty restaurant is extremely small and could use some more space. So just maybe they will do some special touches to her. But with that said she really is nice. It’s the only ship I would stay in a regular cabin and not a suite.

Drydock is pure speculation on my part...

She is due into Vancouver Sept. 4, late...

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/005012951829/media/104695605800/small/1566881177/enhance

Internet onboard is not very good.  Don't know if it is MSC, or CC, but it signed me into Cruisecritic.co.uk and isn't uploading my pic...

enhance

ahhh...there it is.

It's interesting to me that if Grand Classica is sailing North to Vancouver/Victoria for dry dock purposes, why would BPCL not try to book space at the dry dock facilities at Freeport?

Maybe no slots available for whatever BPCL wants done to the ship?  

Maybe there is some truth to "Storylines" taking possession of the ship?

Just a thought...

No more speculation about what is happening with the Grand Classica.

No not going to Storylines and no not going to dry dock or any referb.

This is direct from my source at BPCL

It's on charter in Vancouver which was the only reason for the Panama cruise. It returns to it's regular schedule on 10/16.