Cruise Critic Community
crinkleroot

Baltic vs Greek Isles

Any opinions on whether the Baltic area or the Greek Isles would be the better cruise in June?  Best cruise lines for these destinations?

Greece will be stinking hot  in June

Baltic will be comfortable

There is no BEST  just ones that  fit your  needs & wants  better

We prefer smaller ships  <1500 pax

YMMV

Greek islands will indeed be hot in June. 

Great if you want to be laid-back & people-watch from behind a long cool beer outside a taverna, not so great if you want to  go explore dusty and often shadeless ancient sites.

The climate in June is ideal for the Baltic, great for exploring.

Like anywhere, "average climate" isn't a guarantee of "weather" in a given week, but June to August is the most likely to be good.

Both places are good for cruising,  particularly the Baltic because it's difficult to tour by road or rail or ferry or airplane.

Same applies to "Greek Isles", but most cruises include mainland cities like Venice, Dubrivnik, Athens., with just a couple of islands thrown in. 

"Best" cruise line is too subjective to answer, and in the Baltic in particular the itinerary is far more important than the ship - check out threads in 

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/forum/116-northern-europe-amp-baltic-sea/ 

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2687236-best-cruise-line-for-baltic-cruise/

JB :classic_smile:

Posted (edited)

I'd do the Greek Isles.  A day in port on the islands (IMO) is sufficient.  We did this past June a Baltic (Lithuania, Estonia and Latvia land tour.  For us anyway, the time in port there is not long enough to see/do when on a cruise.  We really enjoyed the dining and night time activities there that you don't experience when on a cruise. On our tour, it was VERY east to tour by road, in and through all 3 countries.

Edited by marco

22 minutes ago, marco said:

We did this past June a Baltic (Lithuania, Estonia and Latvia land tour.  On our tour, it was VERY east to tour by road, in and through all 3 countries.

But here are ten countries in the Baltic, Marco. :classic_wink:

And the three that you visited are the smallest & adjoin each-other. Not really a "Baltic" tour.

Unless you want to drive through Russia you can't also tour the countries on the northern shores. And the geography in those northern countries isn't conducive to land travel.

We did a two-week Baltics cruise in mid-July several years ago.  Was expecting comfortable weather but it was stinking hot (85-90 F) nearly every day.  Still it was an amazing experience.  Have only been to Greek Isles once (also in July) and it was also very hot, almost unbearable (for me).  But absolutely gorgeous.  You really can't go wrong either way.

It's getting hot everywhere now, LOL.    If you are hot adverse of course the Baltics are better, but if you want to see Greece, then you need to see Greece.

We just did Greece in mid summer, yeah hot, but still fun, Baltics next I guess.   

Chalk and cheese.  We have been visited the Scandanavian countries once.  We have been to Greece multiple times and will be going again in a few weeks.  It comes down to your personal preferences and your short list of itinerary options.

Have only completed the Baltic once, but have spent many months cruising around or through the Greek Islands. The 2 locations are so completely different, your decision should be based on personal preferences.

Weather - obviously changeable, but in summer, the Greek islands are normally hot. Our last cruise through this area was late June/early July and it was hot - 35C + (90's F). All ports were also extremely busy with cruise ships & land based tourists. My preference is Feb/Mar when the temperature is cooler and ports less busy. Spent 2 months cruising this area (Feb/Mar) and had mostly nice weather.

We did the Baltic in September and lucked out with great weather and not too many crowds. No experience in June, but would expect similar conditions, especially if early June.

Personally, I would book the Baltic in June and the Greek island on a future cruise, at a less busy time of year. In the Baltic, I would use private tour providers in each port.

3 hours ago, John Bull said:

But here are ten countries in the Baltic, Marco. :classic_wink:

And the three that you visited are the smallest & adjoin each-other. Not really a "Baltic" tour.

Unless you want to drive through Russia you can't also tour the countries on the northern shores. And the geography in those northern countries isn't conducive to land travel.

Oh yes, you can tour those countries on the northern shores.  Just take a ferry from Tallinn to Helsinki.  EM

Here is an 8 day cruise on Oceania's Marina that includes 9 different countries:

Tuesday, June 16     Stockholm, Sweden         5:00pm
Wednesday, June 17     Helsinki, Finland     9:00am     6:00pm
Thursday, June 18     St. Petersburg, Russia     8:00am     
Friday, June 19     St. Petersburg, Russia         6:00pm
Saturday, June 20     Tallinn, Estonia     7:00am     4:00pm
Sunday, June 21     Riga, Latvia     9:00am     6:00pm
Monday, June 22     Klaipeda, Lithuania     10:00am     8:00pm
Tuesday, June 23     Gdansk (Gdynia), Poland     8:00am     6:00pm
Wednesday, June 24     Ronne, Bornholm Island, Denmark     9:00am     6:00pm
Thursday, June 25     Berlin (Warnemunde), Germany     6:00am     8:00pm
Friday, June 26     Copenhagen, Denmark     8:00am    

Not a good cruise for people who like sea days. What's the 10th country in the Baltic, John Bull?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Oh yes, you can tour those countries on the northern shores.  Just take a ferry from Tallinn to Helsinki.  EM

And another ferry from Helsinki to Stockholm

Or a 1,200 mile drive round the Gulf of Bothnia ? :classic_wink:

Nah - a cruise ship is the way to visit the Baltic

So much easier and more civilised :classic_smile:.

Edited by John Bull

But here are ten countries in the Baltic.

I know that, and I don't think any one  Baltic cruise would bring you to all 10 anyway and my point being that in that area, there's a LOT more to see/do than a cruise would afford you the time in just one day  in any one city compared to a day on any one Greek island.  I'd still opt for the Greek Isle cruise.  The OP asked for opinions, and I gave mine and elaborated on why I said what I did.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, marco said:

I don't think any one  Baltic cruise would bring you to all 10

whogo's post a few posts back quotes a cruise with 9 of the ten. :classic_wink:

Yes, I do get your point about the limited timescales in cruising, but not everyone has the time, money, or opportunity to give each of the Baltic cities the time that many of them deserve. In those circumstances I'd rather see 8 or 9 interesting cities than spend that time amongst the Greek islands.

And it's worth bearing in mind that mainstream cruises round the Greek islands include the same totally inadequate one-day ports-of-call in cities like Athens, Venice, Rome, Naples,  etc - IMHO all more worthy of a land trip than most Baltic ports, and easier by land than the Baltic ports.

But hey-ho, there's no right or wrong  - we each have our own opinions

Edited by John Bull

I would choose Baltic cruise for June. The weather is great. Greek cruise is ideal for end of August, beginning of September.