Carnival Sunrise POSITIVE reviews

Caitlynhanc

@Caitlynhanc I like that you're trying to be positive. Have you been on the ship? Maybe it's just that bad. The reviews across many forums are not great. I am apt to believe that people complain more than praise online. However, the one theme that seems to be consistent is the overcrowding.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=1336

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Cruise_Review-d15691363-Reviews-Carnival_Sunrise

https://*****/ship/carnival-sunrise/reviews

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Caitlynhanc said:

Sick of seeing all the negatives of this ship! lol lets have a positive thread about the sunrise so people aren't scared for their booked cruises!

One thing we've learned is to take the negative reviews and figure out how to avoid the problems.

For instance, NCL Epic is not a beloved ship to most who have sailed on her.  There are complaints about the lowest deck balconies being uncovered and not at all private--we booked a different deck.  The bathroom setup is weird and makes privacy difficult.  For that reason, we booked a balcony so that DD and DH could step outside when the other was getting ready.  An inside room would have been nearly impossible for us to enjoy.  Both were very valid complaints, but forewarning was very helpful.

Positive comments will be good to see as well--good thread IMO.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Caitlynhanc said:

Sick of seeing all the negatives of this ship! lol lets have a positive thread about the sunrise so people aren't scared for their booked cruises!

Sometimes there is a good reason the majority of reviews on a particular ship are negative. You can’t force people to have a positive experience. I haven’t cruised on Sunrise, but I have cruised on Sunshine. Sunshine is by far my least favorite Carnival ship of the 12 I have cruised on. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, thesmiths said:

Can we bring your son anything?

Sailing 9/4

Aww, that is so nice of you. Just pop in to see the band play in the Red Frog Pub, have a wee dance and give them a cheer if you like them 😁 Hope you have a great time 👍

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Sometimes there is a good reason the majority of reviews on a particular ship are negative. You can’t force people to have a positive experience. I haven’t cruised on Sunrise, but I have cruised on Sunshine. Sunshine is by far my least favorite Carnival ship of the 12 I have cruised on. 

I get what you’re saying. And there are lots of very valid negative reviews. I think what the OP means is that it might be nice to have a thread with some positive reviews too. I’m sure there are lots of people who have booked the ship and may be feeling less than excited about it if all they see is the negative side. We experienced some negatives too but we still had a fantastic time 👍

33 minutes ago, jjsparkles said:

Aww, that is so nice of you. Just pop in to see the band play in the Red Frog Pub, have a wee dance and give them a cheer if you like them 😁 Hope you have a great time 👍

Will do for sure and you can count on that!  🙂

This is positive!

Edited by thesmiths
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, jjsparkles said:

I get what you’re saying. And there are lots of very valid negative reviews. I think what the OP means is that it might be nice to have a thread with some positive reviews too. I’m sure there are lots of people who have booked the ship and may be feeling less than excited about it if all they see is the negative side. We experienced some negatives too but we still had a fantastic time 👍

Thats exactly right.  I have seen my fair share of positive experiences on this ship from facebook groups and here as well.  Just thought having a thread of the more positive aspects of the ship would be good to look at as well!

• Like 4

This isn't specific to this ship, but one thing I love about late dining, is when everyone leaves to get ready for early dining is a great time to swim.  This is also true with anytime, I guess, but at least some of the anytime people are also eating earlier.  Carnival ship pools are always crowded during the day, but in the calm before early dining, I can actually swim around.  Pool isn't big enough for laps, obviously, so I sort of swim in an oval.  Maybe this could be a hint for any late diners on this ship, since the size of the pools comes up a lot.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jjsparkles said:

I am a big fan of Carnival and I have gotten numerous neighbors, friends, co-workers and family members to try Carnival, most who have now done multiple cruises on Carnival.

However, when I tell people about Carnival, I am putting my reputation on the line too. And there is no way I would ever recommend anyone to cruise on Sunshine, there are just too many negatives.  

Like I said before, I haven’t sailed on Sunrise so I am not in a position to offer advice one way or the other. But a lot of the negative reviews I have read concerning Sunrise are very similar to issues I have with Sunshine.  And since they are sister class ships, both previously Destiny class ships, the countless negative reviews I have read on this and other web sites doesn’t surprise me. 

1 hour ago, jjsparkles said:

We sail the 16th and RFP is one of our favorite spots.  I can't promise a wee dance, but will certainly give a cheer 🙂 (Is Slainte correct for Scottish or just Irish?)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jjsparkles said:

Here’s mine 😁

I LOVED your review!! We sail in exactly a week, I can't wait to see your son perform (I feel like I know him from you review).
Thank you for sharing your cruise experience with us.

on a side note: I look at things this way: life is what you make it, if you are looking for something to complain about you will without a doubt find it. No matter what, I am on vacation; I have nowhere to be in a hurry, I'm an adult and my kids are teens, we can wait patiently in a line for our food...how bad can it possibly be?

Edited by MrsGrohl
spelling errorspelling error
  • Like 3

My wife and I are avid Carnival cruisers. I discussed the negative review with her and she said "well of course it's going to be a mess, it's the middle of summer".

I believe it was mentioned in the original thread but yeah, summer time is going to make for a hectic cruise. With no kids we are thankful that we can take longer cruises not during peak times. We are leaving out of Boston next month to Quebec and hope for a nice relaxing cruise.

We took a cruise to New England out of NY one October a few years ago and I think there was one kid on the whole ship.

• Like 3

We had some issues on the first sailing out of Norfolk on the Sunrise which were minor and somewhat expected but it didn't hamper our cruise at all.  I do read the reviews but it will not prevent us from cruising on a particular ship.  We are sailing on the Miracle next month which has some mixed reviews but we go with the positive vs negative (like I know they don't have Guy's or Blue Iguana yet but that doesn't have a bearing on  cruising on that ship)  I read a bunch of reviews that were negative on the Pride which we just got off that cruise Sunday and it's our favorite ship. I do think there are different levels of tolerance in all people so what might be a small issue for some may be a major for another.  But,  you won't know until you try so being on a cruise with some minor issues here or there sure beats a day at the office or stuck in my home on a dreary day. lol :)

Edited by surfone
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jjsparkles said:

I’m sure there are lots of people who have booked the ship and may be feeling less than excited about it if all they see is the negative side.

But the opposite can have a similar affect. If all we see are sugar-coated positives, people don't always get a true overall picture. Some people will end up unpleasantly surprised if they're only spoon fed good stuff. I won't let negative opinions of a ship make my decision for me. I'd rather experience it for myself and judge for myself. But I welcome the negative opinions and find them quite valuable, as long as they don't get carried away. As someone else said, take the negatives and learn from them.

If all someone does is put Carnival on a pedestal and act like they do everything right, that kind of input is worthless to me. It's too one-sided and, therefore, too fake. The same goes for the other end of the spectrum. If someone sails another line and only has bad things to say about Carnival, I can't take them seriously either. They're both too one-sided.

I think there's far more positives on this forum than negatives. The negative opinions get a bad rap, but there's value in those, too.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

My wife and I are avid Carnival cruisers. I discussed the negative review with her and she said "well of course it's going to be a mess, it's the middle of summer".

I believe it was mentioned in the original thread but yeah, summer time is going to make for a hectic cruise. With no kids we are thankful that we can take longer cruises not during peak times. We are leaving out of Boston next month to Quebec and hope for a nice relaxing cruise.

We took a cruise to New England out of NY one October a few years ago and I think there was one kid on the whole ship.

Up until now, we've only been able to cruise in the summer because of school. So summer crowds on cruises are all we know. Thankfully, that has changed and we'll get to experience our first winter cruise this year.

Yes, summer crowds are going to be different, but I don't think that's the sole excuse for the negative opinions about the crowds on these refitted ships. When they take an old ship that was designed to have so many cabins and hold so many passengers, then refit them to add more cabins and more passengers, it's going to cause problems in common areas where people gather most often. They simply weren't designed for it. For example, they shrink popular venues like the main theaters and comedy clubs to make room for more cabins, but those venues don't become less popular. Now they're smaller and have to fit more people. Summer crowds have nothing to do with that. When I would read comments prior to our cruises about the ships we were going to be sailing on, I never read about the feeling of overcrowding on those, even when coming from people who were on them in the summer. Not like I've seen about these refitted ships. I don't think that's a coincidence.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Up until now, we've only been able to cruise in the summer because of school. So summer crowds on cruises are all we know. Thankfully, that has changed and we'll get to experience our first winter cruise this year.

Yes, summer crowds are going to be different, but I don't think that's the sole excuse for the negative opinions about the crowds on these refitted ships. When they take an old ship that was designed to have so many cabins and hold so many passengers, then refit them to add more cabins and more passengers, it's going to cause problems in common areas where people gather most often. They simply weren't designed for it. For example, they shrink popular venues like the main theaters and comedy clubs to make room for more cabins, but those venues don't become less popular. Now they're smaller and have to fit more people. Summer crowds have nothing to do with that. When I would read comments prior to our cruises about the ships we were going to be sailing on, I never read about the feeling of overcrowding on those, even when coming from people who were on them in the summer. Not like I've seen about these refitted ships. I don't think that's a coincidence.

There's your answer, folks. Change the passenger to public space ratio and it's got to affect the crowding in the popular venues. Pretending it doesn't happen only makes you a member of the Carnival choir.

• Like 2

We were on the Sunrise for 14 days and we had a wonderful time.  Yes, there are lines for food, but not unbearable.  We can't say enough good things about the Fun Squad and Entertainers, many of whom we got to know quite well.  Sailing from Manhattan for the first time should be on everyone's bucket list.  And no, not everyone on the ship was from New York.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, glrounds said:

There's your answer, folks. Change the passenger to public space ratio and it's got to affect the crowding in the popular venues. Pretending it doesn't happen only makes you a member of the Carnival choir.

While was tongue in cheek before, I am serious now.  That ratio, while it might give some insight to open space is probably the most misleading term out there.  Believe it or not, an opposite view maybe has value.....😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

While was tongue in cheek before, I am serious now.  That ratio, while it might give some insight to open space is probably the most misleading term out there.  Believe it or not, an opposite view maybe has value.....😎

Would you care to elaborate?

13 hours ago, Garth2 said:

Sailing from Manhattan for the first time should be on everyone's bucket list.  And no, not everyone on the ship was from New York.

Sailing from Manhattan was, sailing in 2 weeks and we are from Delaware ! 🙂