ROYAL PRINCESS ISSUES ?????

c-legs

4 hours ago, nukesubsailor said:

I recall seeing some news article in the past about some Alaskan port having a dock damaged by a ship unable to adequately control the speed at which it approached the dock.

That was in 2016.  A Celebrity ship docking at Ketchikan under very windy conditions.  There was very serious damage to the wharf.  I think that any damage to the ship was cosmetic, only.

BTW the better cruise line to sail Alaska waters is Holland America  ; because many of their ships have wrap around promenade walk ways , to view Alaska scenery 👍 . Both lines are owned by Carnival Cruise Lines corporation :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, lstone19 said:

The comment you replied to was about tides, not winds. While wind cannot be predicted far in advance, tides are known well out beyond the length of published cruise ship schedules. There is no excuse for last minute schedule changes due to tides.

The width of a channel that has a safe depth at high tide will have a narrower safe width at low tide.  A channel that may be safely sailed through at a low tide level when there is no wind can become unsafe in a high cross wind.    I don't care if you know what the tide will be a century in advance, if the winds pick up before your passage you do indeed have a reason for a last minute schedule change.  You have to always consider wind conditions along with tides.

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 6:28 PM, antsp said:

No forward viewing area, no promenade for viewing, small balconies, no covered pool. OK ship but a no no in Alaska. 

No forward viewing area - many people were on a viewing area above the bridge - that is forward. There are plenty of viewing areas including the promenade deck 7 which I used frequently and shared it with about 20 people max. When the doomsayers started criticising the Royal going to Alaska, a major comment was about the lack of viewing decks. Not once last week did I have a problem getting a view and never was the crowd more than one person deep against any of the railings. In fact deck 7 as mentioned and the area near the Outrigger bar on deck 16 were almost empty. No covered pool - you probably wouldn't just rule Alaska out because of this. Anywhere that has a a cool winter in fact.

I agree with you about small balconies but they are big enough to use and I spent many an hour on my balcony last week in Alaska.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, leck57 said:

No forward viewing area - many people were on a viewing area above the bridge - that is forward. There are plenty of viewing areas including the promenade deck 7 which I used frequently and shared it with about 20 people max. When the doomsayers started criticising the Royal going to Alaska, a major comment was about the lack of viewing decks. Not once last week did I have a problem getting a view and never was the crowd more than one person deep against any of the railings. In fact deck 7 as mentioned and the area near the Outrigger bar on deck 16 were almost empty. No covered pool - you probably wouldn't just rule Alaska out because of this. Anywhere that has a a cool winter in fact.

I agree with you about small balconies but they are big enough to use and I spent many an hour on my balcony last week in Alaska.

Viewing area above the Bridge, Promenade deck 7 forward. Are you sure you where on the Royal 

Edited by antsp

7 minutes ago, antsp said:

Viewing area above the Bridge, Promenade deck 7 forward. Are you sure you where on the Royal 

Yes definitely on the Royal. I didn't say that the viewing areas on deck 7 were forward, however they were mid ship outside the shops on one side and Crooners from memory on the other. Great areas for viewing and a couple of pro photographers had set up there. As I said there were about 20 people using these areas at any time.

I may stand corrected re the viewing above the bridge but I was on deck 12 and looked forward and up and there were people in an area what looked to me above the bridge - but I may be wrong.

My point though, was that there are heaps of viewing areas on the Royal. I could have easily remained on my balcony, especially as the ship is rotated at 360 deg at all the glaciers, but I went to the general areas and there was heaps of space. I'm just sorry to have disappointed a few on here that thought they knew best.

A great ship and fine for Alaska, in my opinion of course.

• Like 1

Compared to other Princess ships she has the least access for viewing, it's a few years since we sailed to Alaska and we did so on the Diamond, plenty of forward viewing, on top of the Bridge, a true Promenade and larger balconies. I know the whole of the cruise isn't based on viewing access on the ship but I would choose the Royal class as the last choice to Alaska. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leck57 said:

I may stand corrected re the viewing above the bridge but I was on deck 12 and looked forward and up and there were people in an area what looked to me above the bridge - but I may be wrong.

I think you were seeing people in the Sanctuary who paid $$$$ to be there.  According to an article here in Cruise Critic, "During special cruise experiences -- such as scenic cruising through Glacier Bay, Tracy Arm, College Fjord, Panama Canal or Suez Canal -- Princess offers a "Scenic Sanctuary Package" with a higher price tag -- roughly $60 to $75 per person -- depending on the itinerary. The package gives passengers exclusive access to The Sanctuary while scenic cruising; it's the only way to access the space on these days."  I would not take a ship to Alaska where I had to pay $60 to $75 pp just to get a forward view.

Edited by mreasier
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, antsp said:

Compared to other Princess ships she has the least access for viewing, it's a few years since we sailed to Alaska and we did so on the Diamond, plenty of forward viewing, on top of the Bridge, a true Promenade and larger balconies. I know the whole of the cruise isn't based on viewing access on the ship but I would choose the Royal class as the last choice to Alaska. 

2007 on the Diamond for us ... our first Princess Cruise !

On 8/21/2019 at 6:29 AM, Cruiser411 said:

She's docked in Skagway today...

And, fyi, if you go to this website, you can download a time-lapse of Juneau's harbor yesterday. You can clearly see Royal show up and then depart. 

http://webcams.thesnowcloud.com/

Well, not  sure what you are  looking at, but we are on the Royal now, and we did not go to Juneau.  For us, we welcomed the sea day it was a glorious day and great scenery.  For those who looked forward to it, that was sad. We have been to Juneau  before. 

The NCL Joy was ahead  of us and communicated the wind issues. Not really sure if other ships were able to get in.  The crew did comment that this had not happened before, and I have never read it here before.  

The ship is great, we do not have any issues.  We booked the Sanctuary today (Glacier Bay) as that was our intention from the beginning. Thanks to everyone who gave us advice to head straight upon embarking, we were the first ones there.  

Others are correct about the outside decks in deck 7, never many folks there.  But I will go take a look later.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, leck57 said:

Yes definitely on the Royal. I didn't say that the viewing areas on deck 7 were forward, however they were mid ship outside the shops on one side and Crooners from memory on the other. Great areas for viewing and a couple of pro photographers had set up there. As I said there were about 20 people using these areas at any time.

My point though, was that there are heaps of viewing areas on the Royal. I could have easily remained on my balcony, especially as the ship is rotated at 360 deg at all the glaciers, but I went to the general areas and there was heaps of space. I'm just sorry to have disappointed a few on here that thought they knew best.

The deck 7 areas were fantastic - I was on from Aug 3-17 and agree that there was rarely anyone out there. I have photos on Glacier Bay day where we were ALONE in this area. I think many people don't know about the area as the promenade isn't a wrap around so it is assumed there is no access. The aft section (smoking area but I never saw anyone smoking out there) access is next to Vista and the forward access doors are hidden around the the corner from Effy (or one of those expensive stores) and Crooners!

You are also correct about the forward area near the bridge - they opened this up on glacier days for viewing. I was one of the folks that thought Royal wasn't great for Alaska - while still  not my favorite ship, I thought it worked just fine and I didn't have a problem with crowds or lack of viewing areas!

• Like 3

I'm on Royal in 8 days.  As to why we booked.  I have very tight vacation schedule and also wanted to do a land tour - so this particular sailing worked for us.  We looked at one of the smaller luxury lines - but thy felt too formal for us. 

I really want to stop in Juneau  - we have a whale watch there.  But - I do live in the greater Boston are and I saw a humpback last year in Boston Harbor ( a teenager acting up ), and I've been on whale watches here and in Canada.  So what happens happens. 

I'm not good at maps, will someone please give a few more detailed directions about Deck 7 ? Can you also tell us how you knew about the other deck ? 

Was the sanctuary worth the money ? We have a balcony - so just can;t make up my mind.  

29 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

The deck 7 areas were fantastic - I was on from Aug 3-17 and agree that there was rarely anyone out there. I have photos on Glacier Bay day where we were ALONE in this area. I think many people don't know about the area as the promenade isn't a wrap around so it is assumed there is no access. The aft section (smoking area but I never saw anyone smoking out there) access is next to Vista and the forward access doors are hidden around the the corner from Effy (or one of those expensive stores) and Crooners!

You are also correct about the forward area near the bridge - they opened this up on glacier days for viewing. I was one of the folks that thought Royal wasn't great for Alaska - while still  not my favorite ship, I thought it worked just fine and I didn't have a problem with crowds or lack of viewing areas!

Where are the forward view areas they opened during glacier days on the Royal?

57 minutes ago, POF1234 said:

I'm on Royal in 8 days.  As to why we booked.  I have very tight vacation schedule and also wanted to do a land tour - so this particular sailing worked for us.  We looked at one of the smaller luxury lines - but thy felt too formal for us. 

I really want to stop in Juneau  - we have a whale watch there.  But - I do live in the greater Boston are and I saw a humpback last year in Boston Harbor ( a teenager acting up ), and I've been on whale watches here and in Canada.  So what happens happens. 

I'm not good at maps, will someone please give a few more detailed directions about Deck 7 ? Can you also tell us how you knew about the other deck ? 

Was the sanctuary worth the money ? We have a balcony - so just can;t make up my mind.  

Deck 7 mid/forward areas can be seen on the deck pans (the brown outside area is viewing area) - the squiggles at either end are the doors but they are not easily seen unless you are in the shop or the bar so I don't think a lot of people knew about them!

image.thumb.png.9c8c987d736f45da13d777be7859c971.png

Deck 7 aft more easily identified as the doors are right before the entrance to Vista Lounge:

image.thumb.png.e62f1953949f9e672f52351eb706e993.png

I didn't go up to the area at the front but I believe you access it from either deck 16 or 17 forward - it was closed at all times other than glacier viewing days!

10 hours ago, leck57 said:

Completely agree with you on having plenty of areas to view the glaciers on the Royal.  We also noted that the outdoor areas on Promenade deck were virtually empty while in Glacier Bay and when viewing Hubbard Glacier.  We also managed to have 4 people on our balcony while viewing glaciers too.  The only negative I would say is that we transited west of Vancouver Island so I missed the inside passage scenery.  But we did see quite a few whales and dolphins the last day, and the view of Victoria all lit up when we picked up the pilot the last night of the cruise was a treat.  It was our fifth time to Alaska in five years and this trip was every bit as enjoyable as it has been in the past years.

EDITED TO ADD: Pretty sure the open area over the bridge is the balcony area for the forward Mini Suites.  They are huge!

Edited by azbirdmom

10 hours ago, leck57 said:

. . .

I wouldn't call it "heaps" of viewing areas for a 3,600+ pax ship.   Certainly not the same amount as found on the wraparound promenade on the older ships which is covered compared to the totally exposed mini outside decks on the Royal, not counting the spacious rear covered deck beyond the buffet (not much "standing at the railing" area there, though).

5 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Deck 7 mid/forward areas can be seen on the deck pans (the brown outside area is viewing area) - the squiggles at either end are the doors but they are not easily seen unless you are in the shop or the bar so I don't think a lot of people knew about them!

image.thumb.png.9c8c987d736f45da13d777be7859c971.png

Deck 7 aft more easily identified as the doors are right before the entrance to Vista Lounge:

image.thumb.png.e62f1953949f9e672f52351eb706e993.png

I didn't go up to the area at the front but I believe you access it from either deck 16 or 17 forward - it was closed at all times other than glacier viewing days!

I study deck plans prior to embarking a new ship.  I knew these deck areas were there.  I found them, as a rather experienced cruiser, very difficult to find them.  Even then, they are a poor substitute for the Promenade Deck found on Coral Princess.

A report that there were few on that deck during scenic cruising makes me think that others found the entrance to that deck is not the easiest to find.

7 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I study deck plans prior to embarking a new ship.  I knew these deck areas were there.  I found them, as a rather experienced cruiser, very difficult to find them.  Even then, they are a poor substitute for the Promenade Deck found on Coral Princess.

A report that there were few on that deck during scenic cruising makes me think that others found the entrance to that deck is not the easiest to find.

The doors are very much hidden.

8DC1C8B5-B2DD-4529-B033-F6D6D7B45F6F.jpeg

19 hours ago, leck57 said:

My point though, was that there are heaps of viewing areas on the Royal.

a) The people you saw just above the bridge were people on their balcony cabin balconies. Not available fo thsoe who did not book those cabins (or have friends in them).

b) Yes, the viewing areas you described exist, but not with room for up to 3500 passengers to use them. I have been to Alaska on the Island and on a Grand class ship and had easy access to great views forward, aft, port and starboard along with a large number of other passengers on both ships.