Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
sid_9169

Issue booking Onda on NCL Encore...

A few weeks ago, I reached 120 days out from the December 1st sailing of the new NCL Encore. Normally, this is the point when you can easily make dining reservations online... Well, I tried for several days with no luck, so I called customer service to try and sort this out. I waited approximately an hour on hold, and finally reached a representative. I was able to get all of the preferred times that I wanted, but Onda was still not showing up on their end. They could, however make me a reservation for La Cucina, which doesn't exist on the Encore. They said that once Onda was built into the system, that the La Cucina reservation would automatically be transferred... Later that day, I received an email confirmation for my dining times.

Fast forward to today... Onda, as well as all other venues are now able to be booked online... I called, and again patiently waited on hold to make sure my La Cucina reservation would be honored... They said that I could cancel my La Cucina reservation and replace it with Onda, but the time I had initially chosen was no longer available. I asked her why they would make me a reservation for a restaurant that doesn't even exist, if it weren't a "placeholder" for the one that did?... She said I could speak with a supervisor, but it would be another half hour or so wait... I told her to just make me a reservation for whatever time that I could get, and I would try to fix it once on board.

Another case of great NCL costumer "no-service"...

They cancelled all my reservations on the Escape due to a “system problem” and told me to pound salt.  

They shouldn’t dirty dog you after all your live reviews.  You gave NCL some good will on these boards.

4 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

A few weeks ago, I reached 120 days out from the December 1st sailing of the new NCL Encore. Normally, this is the point when you can easily make dining reservations online... Well, I tried for several days with no luck, so I called customer service to try and sort this out. I waited approximately an hour on hold, and finally reached a representative. I was able to get all of the preferred times that I wanted, but Onda was still not showing up on their end. They could, however make me a reservation for La Cucina, which doesn't exist on the Encore. They said that once Onda was built into the system, that the La Cucina reservation would automatically be transferred... Later that day, I received an email confirmation for my dining times.

Fast forward to today... Onda, as well as all other venues are now able to be booked online... I called, and again patiently waited on hold to make sure my La Cucina reservation would be honored... They said that I could cancel my La Cucina reservation and replace it with Onda, but the time I had initially chosen was no longer available. I asked her why they would make me a reservation for a restaurant that doesn't even exist, if it weren't a "placeholder" for the one that did?... She said I could speak with a supervisor, but it would be another half hour or so wait... I told her to just make me a reservation for whatever time that I could get, and I would try to fix it once on board.

Another case of great NCL costumer "no-service"...

The agent can only do what the system allows them to do, regardless what you think was suppose to happen. You are talking to sub-minimum wage call center personnel. And yes, stuff happens with new ships. 

19 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The agent can only do what the system allows them to do, regardless what you think was suppose to happen. You are talking to sub-minimum wage call center personnel. And yes, stuff happens with new ships. 

So that is the consumers problem?  Why in the world should the consumer have to deal with "sub-minimum wage call center personnel."  Why is that my problem?  There should be NO defense for inadequate Customer Service. Period. 

Maybe if FDR sacrificed perhaps .00025% of his salary to training, maybe the Reps could get proper training to guide their Reps and flow down knowledgeable information to their customers as we all deserve.  Hmmm...

Condoning bad behavior is never a good thing.  JMO 🙂

On 8/21/2019 at 7:35 PM, OceanBlueWaters said:

Bumping.  Reply?  

So that is the consumers problem?  Why in the world should the consumer have to deal with "sub-minimum wage call center personnel."  Why is that my problem?  There should be NO defense for inadequate Customer Service. Period. 

Maybe if FDR sacrificed perhaps .00025% of his salary to training, maybe the Reps could get proper training to guide their Reps and flow down knowledgeable information to their customers as we all deserve.  Hmmm...

Condoning bad behavior is never a good thing.  JMO 🙂

1 hour ago, OceanBlueWaters said:

Condoning bad behavior is never a good thing.  JMO 🙂

Again, it has nothing to do with training. The agent can only do what the system allows them to do. If the restaurant is showing that it is sold out, the agent isn't able to go in and reprogram the database with the number of available tables or override the "sold out" state. Sitting there yelling at someone to "fix it" doesn't magically create additional tables available to book. What "knowledge" do you need flown down other than "sold out"?  Seems like a hard concept, "sold out". 

The "fix" is very easy. Stop by restaurant reservations (likely to be in The Social or Teppanyaki) on embarkation day and get the date and time of reservation you want. Additional tables are opened up for shipboard bookings. 

I am on the Encore sailing after you (December 8th) but also had issues making dining reservations. I was unable to make any reservations at all until about 110 days out, and then I was able to add reservations "to my cart" that then were removed from my cart as "no longer available" and yet it would still display those same dining times for me to try again...

Eventually I gave up and called Customer Service to ensure I at least had dining reservations at the 3 restaurants I wanted on the days I wanted, but by the time I got there the only times that were still left were 5:30 (we tend to eat later, around 8:30 PM, on cruises so that we can keep up the momentum to go to the parties or dancing in the lounge later on). I'll probably end up changing them when we get on board, but I recall the process being much smoother when I did this for our Escape voyage this time last year. I get that they only reserve certain times for online bookings, I'm just a little annoyed that others on my roll call were able to make their reservations and I had to wait to be able to potentially be on hold forever to make mine with Customer Service.

That said, the representatives I've called at Customer Service have always been very helpful to the best of their abilities. But it seems like the problem usually has to do with communication between the decision-makers and the front-line customer service reps, being given incomplete or sometimes just plain wrong information.

At 120 days out, reservations for dining and entertainment showed up in the cruise planner for my Encore NYE cruise. I was able to access times for all of these and put them in my cart  but they never showed up in the cart to be finalized. Instead of waiting, I immediately called NCL and was able to book everything I wanted by phone and have the email confirmations. After hearing about all the website problems with booking for Encore, I didn’t want to wait around for the website to be fixed. 

Mary Ann