Cruise Critic Community
evandbob

Collecting Sand or Shells as Souvenirs

On 8/21/2019 at 11:42 AM, naxer said:

I don't have a need to know where there are rules and regulations about such things.  I was always taught that when it comes to visiting places of natural beauty, it's best to try to leave things as I found them, and take away memories and pictures.  

Backpackers Motto: TAKE only memories . . . LEAVE only footprints. 🙂

11 hours ago, pghsteelerfan said:

The following May some scary things started happening with my hubby and just bad luck in general and it just started snowballing.  I'm really not superstitious, one of the cats we still have is a black cat and the one who died while we were in HI was a black cat but that sand had to go back.  I sent that sand home to Hawaii, along with a letter where I found it, and a donation to Haleakala National Park (that's where we were when our cat died).  Things started looking better after that.  Could have been a coincidence, but I wasn't willing to risk it. 

many stories that Hawaiian artifacts bring bad karma to those that remove them...here's a little different take:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2019/08/22/girl-took-heart-shaped-rock-national-park-then-she-felt-guilty-she-sent-it-back/

On 8/21/2019 at 10:37 AM, evandbob said:

More localities are banning this activity.  Do you bring back sand or shells collected on a beach?  Do you know if there are any local laws against this in the ports you are visiting?

I know shell collecting is still encouraged here in SW FL, particularly on Sanibel Island.  But bad karma (and a possible fine) can occur if you do the same in Hawaii.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/why-its-illegal-to-take-sand-from-some-beaches/ar-AAG56SM?li=BBnbcA1

And in some areas it may be illegal to remove rocks! Picture millions of visitors over time carting away things from the beach or surrounding areas. No, I am not talking about sea glass trash, or empty sea shells. Just take a moment and find out the laws before you go.

https://bangordailynews.com/2014/07/27/news/hancock/supervisory-park-ranger-says-taking-rocks-from-acadia-an-increasing-and-illegal-problem/

Several times we brought back Corona bottles full of beach sand and brought back shells and sand dollars, did not have any issues