Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
sharkster77

Rijksmuseum--pre-purchase tickets?

If I understand correctly, we should pre-purchase Rijksmuseum tickets because:

--they are good for any day within a year, no specific date or time

--they will allow us to bypass at least one line

If I read correctly, with tickets in hand, we just enter the building thru the main doors, skipping the long line outside?

We are in Amsterdam for 2 days pre-cruise, so right now we can't pinpoint exactly when we will visit the museum, but if the above is correct, pre-purchase looks like a no-brainer.

As I understand it, the van Gogh Museum pre-purchase does require picking a date and time--if we end up there we will do so online while in-country.

Please, those who have visited already, please enlighten me!  Thanks.

Posted (edited)

Just returned...

Pre purchasing tickets to the Rijksmuseum allows you to bypass the ticket line.  You still wait on a long line to get through security (the long line outside),  you will go through security before entering the museum.  At a certain point, the line splits between ticket holders and purchasers.  Of course, one line is better than two! You are correct in that they offer entry any date/time for a year.

Van Gogh is by timed tickets only and we found them sticklers for time. We arrived about 15 minutes early from our time slot and still had to wait.  Tickets are sold outside the museum and the lines to buy are huge.  Ticket holders check in with a guard and enter directly through the museum. Much faster with timed entry and security (far more so than Rijksmuseum)  Van Gogh often sells out day of, particularly in the summer or high season, so I would pre purchase in advance of your trip and tried to guesstimate. 

We loved Amsterdam.  Hopefully you are aware that you must prepurchase tickets if you wish to visit Anne Frank’s House, none are sold on site and they sell out quickly upon release. It’s a must do. 

Edited by hehny

Posted (edited)

Thank you @hehny.  Dear wife has NO desire to visit Ann Frank House (way too sad, she says).

I checked the iamsterdam card webpage and the instructions are to 'present your card at the ticket window'.  I take this to mean that one should stand in the line that one would by-pass if admission was pre-purchased online.  So it sounds to me like pre-purchase buys you a shorter line than the iamsterdam pass.

We will buy van Gogh tickets online in-country should we decide to go there (if tickets are available--as you say it can sell out).

iamsterdam pass does cover just about all museums and attraction, a canal cruise, and public transit.  The decision is:  does buying one for 48 hrs justify its cost.  We have 39 more days to figure out what we'll do.

When you only have about 48 hrs in a city, wasting 1-2 hrs in line, uuggghhh.

Thanks again.

Edited by sharkster77

5 hours ago, hehny said:

We loved Amsterdam.  Hopefully you are aware that you must prepurchase tickets if you wish to visit Anne Frank’s House, none are sold on site and they sell out quickly upon release. It’s a must do. 

I agree with the Anne Frank House... but, not easy to get tickets.  You could still buy them on site when we went, but pre-booked to by-pass the line.  A sobering visit, to be sure...

Another museum that is lesser known - but still worth the time to visit - is the Dutch Resistance Museum.  There was no line up to get in when we went.  It shows how the people in Amsterdam worked quietly and in the shadows to resist what was happening in their city.  Many people put their own lives in danger to help hide Jews from the Nazis.  We walked there from Dam Square - took about 20 minutes if I remember correctly.

Fran

Thanks for the tip @franski--let me see if I can get DW interested in the resistance museum.  I am a WWII buff and would enjoy it a great deal; DW, not so much.

6 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

Thanks for the tip @franski--let me see if I can get DW interested in the resistance museum.  I am a WWII buff and would enjoy it a great deal; DW, not so much.

Can't you separate and doing your own thing for a couple of hours?  We went to Anne Frank on our last trip to Amsterdam, and loved it, sad though it was.

This trip we have already got our timed tickets for Van Gogh.  I haven't purchased for the Rijks yet, but I will.

I just think it is such a shame if there is something one person wants to do to have to miss out as the other doesn't like it.

We are a strange couple in that hubby loves to shop and I hate it.  We almost always have a couple of hours apart and he shops and I do something that I like, even if that is just sitting in the hotel checking sites like this, or visiting a museum that interests me.

Just a suggestion.

7 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

I second the vote for the Resistance Museum. It is more about people than about war.

Sharkster77-  Hello again.  Just a suggestion, but if you're near the Anne Frank House, you may want to walk a block south and take an inexpensive tour (up several hundred steps) to the top of the Westerkerk church tower for grand views of Amsterdam such as these:

RX100849.thumb.JPG.c5b5cb01e62d34da90a28299f7c74cb3.JPG

RX100837.thumb.JPG.cf9e5ac15bc565d9301a9c46dc13625d.JPG

If you're a fan of WWII, please consider the WWII tour from Breisach on Viking.  It's well-worth it.   

18 hours ago, Mike R 2018 said:

RX100849.thumb.JPG.c5b5cb01e62d34da90a28299f7c74cb3.JPG

RX100837.thumb.JPG.cf9e5ac15bc565d9301a9c46dc13625d.JPG

Great photos Mike R - thanks for sharing.

Posted (edited)

Thanks Dogs4fun - I'm afraid that my attempts of taking good photos simply don't do that wonderful city justice :-).  ...Wish we could've spent five, rather than two, days in Amsterdam.  So much to see; so little time.

Edited by Mike R 2018
typo

Do you plan to explore anything outside of Amsterdam? We took a train from the city to The Hague which took around an hour. There you have the National Mauritshuis Museum with some absolutely fabulous Vermeer paintings. (Girl with Pearl Earring for example). It is a beautiful building, with few tourists and great artwork by Dutch Masters. We didn't have advance tickets and there were only three people in line ahead of us. The Hague is a beautiful city with its ancient parliament buildings.

Incidentally, we found the Rik even in April to be very crowded despite our advance tickets and only because of my husband's height could we get a photo of Vermeer's  "The Milkmaid". (I could barely see it past all the other visitors crowded around). The Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam seems to do a much better job of crowd control, although as previously mentioned, even with advance timed tickets, they won't let you in earlier (despite a pouring rain).

@lynncarol, we arrive in Amsterdam on Oct. 1 and board our river cruise on the 3rd, so I don't think we'd have time to explore beyond Amserdam.  (Too bad--recently discovered that my heritage is 25% Belgian, would love to visit the "mother country" LOL.

Hoping that the crowds at the Rijks in early October will be at least tolerable.

Edited by sharkster77

Sharkster77 - We walked from our hotel to the Rijksmuseum, arriving at 10 AM and had lunch at the museum's cafe, which was nice, then spent another hour or two there before walking back to our hotel. The restaurant at the museum was too expensive for us, but the cafe, near the entrance, was more reasonable price-wise, had sandwiches and more, plus several brands of beer and types of wine.   It was nice to stay in museum for lunch and not have to exit, then re-enter in the afternoon.   Oh, we bought our tickets months before online and had no problems at all entering the museum at 10 AM.

I would NOT recommend the hamburger offered at the cafe.  It looked inedible...

Edited by Mike R 2018

If you like 20th and 21st century art and design, the Stedelijk Museum is really cool- we nearly missed our time slot for the nearby Van Gough museum because we didn't want to leave.