Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
psawka

,daily automatic tips

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, cottagers2000 said:

No embarrassment at all in asking Guest Services to remove a service charge that is DISCRETIONARY. NCL actually advised me when I booked exactly what to do if I did not wish to pay the Daily Service Charge. I certainly don't think that they were embarrassed in telling me how to go about having the charge refunded and credited to my account

I said would be embarrassed and didn’t offer an opinion on anyone else’s potential embarrassment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We only had part of the DSC removed once, and that was when we kept having to chase after our cabin steward for clean towels, etc, day after day. The breaking point was when I sent some clothes for express dry cleaning and didn't get them back in time: when I inquired, I was told "The laundry had them ready in time but your steward never picked them up." We went to the desk and asked for the steward's share of one of our DSCs to be transferred over to the restaurant staff, but they just refunded it instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh dear. So perhaps there is some context that will help if you didn't cruise before 10 years ago.  Traditionally, cruising had a very fixed number of tipped positions who split tips to supporting roles.

 

First, remember that tipped positions are paid less than other positions, with the intent that tipping makes up the missing income. Just as it works on land.

 

Traditionally, you tipped:

- Dining room waiter, who you saw every day for nearly every meal.  they would split tips with the assistance waiter and bus person if they were tipped.

- Maitre'd although many tried to evade this one

- Room Steward who shared with an assistant if there was one

- Bartenders/bar waiters

 

As cruises adapted to flexible eating, this disturbed the tipping structure as people now move around to many venues and don't feel the need, or don't know how, to tip - you may be served by a dozen different people.   At the same time, cruise lines saw an opportunity to make a few more positions tipped.

 

The automatic service charge solved the first and enabled the second. And, they solved bar tipping by always including the tip in the pricing.

 

If you eliminate your daily service charge and tip directly, you are hurting some of the people who work hard for you and are paid lower, needing tips to earn their expected income.

 

Please don't take away the daily service charge. Just add a little for people who served you well!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Oh dear. So perhaps there is some context that will help if you didn't cruise before 10 years ago.  Traditionally, cruising had a very fixed number of tipped positions who split tips to supporting roles.

 

First, remember that tipped positions are paid less than other positions, with the intent that tipping makes up the missing income. Just as it works on land.

 

Traditionally, you tipped:

- Dining room waiter, who you saw every day for nearly every meal.  they would split tips with the assistance waiter and bus person if they were tipped.

- Maitre'd although many tried to evade this one

- Room Steward who shared with an assistant if there was one

- Bartenders/bar waiters

 

As cruises adapted to flexible eating, this disturbed the tipping structure as people now move around to many venues and don't feel the need, or don't know how, to tip - you may be served by a dozen different people.   At the same time, cruise lines saw an opportunity to make a few more positions tipped.

 

The automatic service charge solved the first and enabled the second. And, they solved bar tipping by always including the tip in the pricing.

 

If you eliminate your daily service charge and tip directly, you are hurting some of the people who work hard for you and are paid lower, needing tips to earn their expected income.

 

Please don't take away the daily service charge. Just add a little for people who served you well!

 

 

Thanks for the suggestion, but I will pass.  I spend my money the way I choose.  You are free to do the same.  I encourage you to bring a nice big wad of cash to personally tip all those 'poor broke souls' you blather on about.  It's clearly the right thing to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Love my butler said:

I encourage you to bring a nice big wad of cash to personally tip all those 'poor broke souls' you blather on about.  It's clearly the right thing to do.

Why would I do that when I can simply prepay the DSC and not worry about tipping anyone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Love my butler said:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I will pass.  I spend my money the way I choose.  You are free to do the same.  I encourage you to bring a nice big wad of cash to personally tip all those 'poor broke souls' you blather on about.  It's clearly the right thing to do.

 

I don't recall attacking your opinion, only expressing mine to encourage people to understand the impact when you decline DSC and tip directly. I will ignore the sarcastic and personal nature of your comment but say these words would earn you a quick ban if I were an admin.

 

 

1 hour ago, RaiderDuck said:

Why would I do that when I can simply prepay the DSC and not worry about tipping anyone?

 

His argument is not to pay DSC at all; he wants to tip only specific people.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

His argument is not to pay DSC at all; he wants to tip only specific people.

And have to both carry a wad of money around with me AND keep track of who I've tipped and who I haven't? Sounds like way more effort and trouble than I want to put up with when I'm on vacation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RaiderDuck said:

And have to both carry a wad of money around with me AND keep track of who I've tipped and who I haven't? Sounds like way more effort and trouble than I want to put up with when I'm on vacation.

 

So in additional to DSC I do make sure I have a few $5s if going to dining rooms, which I add for exceptional service only. And I carry a small bundle of $1s to use at bars.  I have found that at crowded bars, my drinks are refilled more quickly, and when they see the $1 held in my hand with my card, the drinks are stronger.  Purely personal preference. On some cruises I see a lot of bar tipping, and on others it seems I am the only one.  I have a $20 bill set aside for my steward. Again, only if service is friendly, present, and excellent.  We've had the full range.

 

On our last cruise we saw our steward twice. Once on day 2, almost by accident, and again on the last morning when she knocked at 7:30 to tell us to leave the room (which by rule was by 9:00am).  She did not get any extra.  But that is not enough of a bad time to pull my DSC for her.  But we gave the $20 to the Steward of the next block down, who went out her her way to greet us and ask if everything is ok or we needed anything... even though we weren't her cabin!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

 

I will ignore the sarcastic and personal nature of your comment but say these words would earn you a quick ban if I were an admin.

 

 

 

 

 

Just curious about which particular words that Love my Butler said that seems to have upset you. Sarcastic and Personal ?? Where exactly? Perhaps it is a good job that you are not in administration, otherwise there would be no forum if you banned people for absolutely nothing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cottagers2000 said:

Just curious about which particular words that Love my Butler said that seems to have upset you. Sarcastic and Personal ?? Where exactly? Perhaps it is a good job that you are not in administration, otherwise there would be no forum if you banned people for absolutely nothing

 

Wow. This doesn't help, as I had no plan to fight about it.

Do you not consider this a rather personal attack on my point of view?  "tip all those 'poor broke souls' you blather on about."

It is unnecessary and rude.  My remarks weren't directed at him, and were not rude or sarcastic.

These words are and I would think 99% of people would agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

 

 

Do you not consider this a rather personal attack on my point of view?  

Most certainly not. I would also add that I consider the poster known as Love my Butler, to be one of the more sensible posters on here and his/her views are pretty well spot on. (No, I am not related to him/her or even know the person)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

Or people should actually read the thread where the OP said he didn’t start this for there own personal gratification.  

The OP created a new CC account to make this post. And has not posted since. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anything I say in postings should be as sensible and civilized as I would say in a person to person discussion with someone I don't know.

 

His comment was intended to inflict a judgement on me as a bleeding heart and degrade my opinion that cruise service employees are low paid and earn their income through needed tips.  

 

 

I would never make a statement that degrades anothers' opinion in this way.  Nobody should.  That is verbal bullying and it happens way too much here.

 

He could have said:

I disagree.  I prefer to remove the DSC and tip only the people who I think have earned a tip.  Or I choose to remove the DSC and I don't tip anyone.  Or whatever his view is.  

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The OP created a new CC account to make this post. And has not posted since. 

So is post number 25 not real then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The OP created a new CC account to make this post. And has not posted since. 

 

 

Oh geez.  Here we go again.     

Edited by Ptroxx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, cottagers2000 said:

So is post number 25 not real then?

I see NOT A PENNY MORE Is back too.    

 

See you love these discussions .  Lol.  🔨

Edited by Ptroxx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cottagers2000 said:

Most certainly not. I would also add that I consider the poster known as Love my Butler, to be one of the more sensible posters on here and his/her views are pretty well spot on. (No, I am not related to him/her or even know the person)

 

His views are spot on in your opinion because you think alike (not because they are reasonable or appropriate).

 

I have an opinion on your closing remark but I’ll keep it to myself (something you don’t grasp).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, StolidCruiser said:

 

His views are spot on in your opinion because you think alike (not because they are reasonable or appropriate).

 

I have an opinion on your closing remark but I’ll keep it to myself (something you don’t grasp).

Pray tell me your opinion on whichever closing remark you are referring to. I cannot grasp the situation unless you wish to share with me your concerns. Posting comments on this forum is all about opinions. I was certainly not aware however that I shared the opinions and had the same thoughts as "Love my butler" , never having had any discussions with him/her

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, cottagers2000 said:

Pray tell me your opinion on whichever closing remark you are referring to. I cannot grasp the situation unless you wish to share with me your concerns. Posting comments on this forum is all about opinions. I was certainly not aware however that I shared the opinions and had the same thoughts as "Love my butler" , never having had any discussions with him/her

My opinion is your a cheap _________.    I plan on tipping extra on this cruise just for you.

I even just went to the bank to get another WAD of cash.     

Seem like most the post from the cheap-o’s are from other counties.  

 

They just dont don’t understand the service industry.     It might be ok across the pond.   But not where I’m from.           

 

 

 

DDEAA728-734A-4414-B5DA-6EACC7959A99.jpeg

F0B42DBE-AEC7-4EC0-B259-576971F7BF17.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

His argument is not to pay DSC at all; he wants to tip only specific people.

 

 

Paying the DSC has nothing to do with who anyone decides to tip.  In fact it is likely that everyone who tips only tips specific people.  I highly doubt anyone has ever tipped every single crew member on any cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He only says he wants to tip specific people. My guess is that he will stiff everybody.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

spot on...nor should they....all members of a crew do deserve a living wage, but that is the responsibility of the employer not the patrons.  If you go to a restaurant to have a nice meal....do you tip every employee?  I would think not....they all deserve a dece3 t wage but the is the responsibility of the employer not the customers...you tip only your waiter...not the owner, not the cook , not the clean up crew..etc. etc. etc. and it has nothing to do with being rich or cheap...you reward good service....but not the entire corporation

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

“My opinion is your a cheap _________.    I plan on tipping extra on this cruise just for you.

I even just went to the bank to get another WAD of cash.     

Seem like most the post from the cheap-o’s are from other counties.

They just dont don’t understand the service industry.     It might be ok across the pond.   But not where I’m from.  “

 

Please do not make sweeping statements about people from other countries , we as I said always pay the DSC and live an ocean away from you.  After over 20 years in catering mgt I understand the industry very well. Where  I come from manners are important not the size of your wallet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, psawka said:

spot on...nor should they....all members of a crew do deserve a living wage, but that is the responsibility of the employer not the patrons.  If you go to a restaurant to have a nice meal....do you tip every employee?  I would think not....they all deserve a dece3 t wage but the is the responsibility of the employer not the customers...you tip only your waiter...not the owner, not the cook , not the clean up crew..etc. etc. etc. and it has nothing to do with being rich or cheap...you reward good service....but not the entire corporation

 

 

 

Again understanding the service industry would help.   

When you go to a resturant the cooks are usually paid well and the rest of the staff will make a min wage.   With the intention of getting a tip for the service they provide.  And that server will what’s call “ tip out “ the bus person and dish washer  

 

so for a 25.00 bill.   20% for good service.  That’s a 5.00 tip.   Then the server will give portion of that to the rest of the people that are helping make him a good server.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, ppcox said:

 

“My opinion is your a cheap _________.    I plan on tipping extra on this cruise just for you.

I even just went to the bank to get another WAD of cash.     

Seem like most the post from the cheap-o’s are from other counties.

They just dont don’t understand the service industry.     It might be ok across the pond.   But not where I’m from.  “

 

Please do not make sweeping statements about people from other countries , we as I said always pay the DSC and live an ocean away from you.  After over 20 years in catering mgt I understand the industry very well. Where  I come from manners are important not the size of your wallet. 

Well your one out of the very few that will pay the Daily service charge.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...