Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
md80fan

Refunds and Rebooking Packages

Recommended Posts

Here is a question more out of curiosity. When you buy something usually the credit card company gets a cut. So say Visa takes a small percentage of every transaction as their fee and how they make their money. So when we buy a beverage package some percentage say .5% or 1% of the price goes to Visa or Mastercard etc..... So I assume every time we buy a package, then refund it, and then buy it again at a lower price Royal Caribbean gets hit with these fees which I assume add up over time. Just curious why Royal does not do something like a deposit. Where you buy the drink package and then pay a deposit of say 100 dollars with the balance due 90 days before sailing. Then if we cancel and rebook it saves the hassles of having a credit posted to our credit card account and then a recharge for the lower price. Plus it would save Royal on paying all those credit card fees (not that I really care how much Royal pays in fees). There just has to be an easier way then the current way of looking for a lower price, cancel, then rebook it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe someone with banking experience can confirm if the merchant is charged fees by the credit card company in the case of refunds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Retailers would love it if Visa was only charging them half or 1%.  

 

Retailers do not pay the fee fee on returns. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

Retailers would love it if Visa was only charging them half or 1%.  

 

Retailers do not pay the fee fee on returns. 

 

Even if the refund is a couple of years down the road?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If RC didn't want full payment at the time of booking, it wouldn't be set up like this.  It is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is probably a small percentage of people that cancel and rebook their purchases. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think paying for everything far in advance is a big part of their strategy. They like to give you multiple opportunities to spend money. If you go “all out” and buy dining packages, drink packages, excursions in every port, maybe even some spa treatments a year in advance, then come vacation time you can get the feeling like you’re not spending much. But you have, and that was a year ago, so you think you can afford to splurge a little more now.  All those “deals” in the shop, duty free, hello casino! You get to splurge twice(or more). Once planning in advance, and again on vacation. As far as canceling cruise planner items, it costs them nothing to refund a purchase. But I think the trend may shift toward prices going up closer to sail date. Having buyers remorse on that cabana? But it’s gone up $400 since I booked, I better keep it since I got a bargain! Lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Interesting question.  I'm guessing they just eat the cost and bank on the theory that they sell more by making it so easy an seamless for the customer to cover the marginal transaction expense they incur by doing so.  I'm also sure they're at the top of the available tiers for credit card processing costs given the volume they do.

 

Semi hi-jack, different question, but if I made a fresh topic I'd pretty  much use exactly this subject name 😂.....

 

If I bought multiple Cruise Planner items in one transaction and want to cancel just one item can I do that without impacting the other item I bought along with it?  It seems like a silly question and I'm 99% sure the answer is yes, of course, it won't impact it at all, it's 2019 the systems are smart enough to handle that, BUT it does involve the $18/day drink package, which I don't want to put even at the remaining 1% risk.  Not that it matters but I'm considering replacing the current internet package with the key package.  Internet package and $18/drinks were purchased in the same credit card transaction.

Edited by PMGS247

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PMGS247 said:

 

Semi hi-jack, different question, but if I made a fresh topic I'd pretty  much use exactly this subject name 😂.....

 

If I bought multiple Cruise Planner items in one transaction and want to cancel just one item can I do that without impacting the other item I bought along with it?  It seems like a silly question and I'm 99% sure the answer is yes, of course, it won't impact it at all, it's 2019 the systems are smart enough to handle that, BUT it does involve the $18/day drink package, which I don't want to put even at the remaining 1% risk.  Not that it matters but I'm considering replacing the current internet package with the key package.  Internet package and $18/drinks were purchased in the same credit card transaction.

Yup.  If you look in your Order History each item listed there has Cancel and Modify links.  So you can cancel each item separately.  Now for excursions they ask if you want to cancel all parties or just one.  Just don't mess with the $18 package links! 

 

I NEVER buy more than one thing at a time (except the $18 drink packages for 2).  If you are making MyTime dining reservations you can't, but I do each excursion separately.  Pain to put in all the address info, but I don't really trust the Shopping Cart.  If your internet connection drops it can wind up in a weird state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that Royal Caribbean thinks of the refunds to lower prices as a part of doing business.  They have use of your money from when you book until you use the product.

 

If the price goes down, it's a gamble that the cruise line is willing to take as not everyone checks all the time to see if there is a price reduction and I'm sure there are many who pay the full price and never request a refund.

 

Even when a refund is given, it doesn't happen anywhere near as quickly as the charge does.  I realize some of the time is bank related, but if I order something, in a couple of seconds it's on my credit card.  If I cancel something, I don't believe the charge goes to my credit card company as quickly, but I could be wrong,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Maybe someone with banking experience can confirm if the merchant is charged fees by the credit card company in the case of refunds.

 

The merchant is credited the fee when the item is returned

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

 

The merchant is credited the fee when the item is returned

 

This ^^^^^^

 

You charge $100.  Vendor gets $97.  You get a refund.  Vendor credits back $97 to charge card, you get $100.  Everyone is even.

Edited by SRF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...