Anyone go on the Submarine excursion?

peanut1277

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 2:41 PM, peanut1277 said:

thoughts on the submarine excursion? any recommendations on a company ?

Is there more than one company now?  Only one I've see is Atlantis. 

We did that several years ago and it was pretty cool.  You take a shuttle boat out to the reef where the sub is waiting.  You transfer to the submarine which includes climbing down a ladder so you need to be a tad nimble.

If I recall you sit on bench seats and everyone has a good sized window to look out of.  It's pretty easy to take pictures through the window, just turn your flash off.

I think we went to 160' and you see all sorts of fish, coral, sponges, etc.  We went past a small shipwreck which was cool.  The oddest sensation is when the sub touches down on the bottom.

I would highly recommend it.  When else will you get the chance to ride in a submarine?

There's really only one game in town for the submarine excursion and you might as well book directly with them. 

We did it a couple of years ago in the Caymans and I was shocked at how cool it was -- they really make sure that you see more than you would with just a glass-bottomed boat, and everyone gets their own window to look out of which makes it a great experience. We did a night trip, but I'd love to go back and do a day one this time around. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/23/2019 at 2:34 PM, MrSchwump said:

Is there more than one company now?  Only one I've see is Atlantis. 

We did that several years ago and it was pretty cool.  You take a shuttle boat out to the reef where the sub is waiting.  You transfer to the submarine which includes climbing down a ladder so you need to be a tad nimble.

If I recall you sit on bench seats and everyone has a good sized window to look out of.  It's pretty easy to take pictures through the window, just turn your flash off.

I think we went to 160' and you see all sorts of fish, coral, sponges, etc.  We went past a small shipwreck which was cool.  The oddest sensation is when the sub touches down on the bottom.

I would highly recommend it.  When else will you get the chance to ride in a submarine?

Were there a lot of people in the submarine,  making it feel really crammed? I am a bit claustrophobic, but would love to be able to do this. Nice air flow?