Jump to content

Will they Make the Bed for 3rd Passenger?


Recommended Posts

Dumb question, right???

 

On my last few cruises, the room staff have been very hesitant to provide bedding and make up the bed for the 3rd passenger. On one cruise, they only provided a bottom sheet and scratchy blanket (no comforter or flat sheet) upon request. On my last cruise, I had to demand full bedding, and was only provided it very reluctantly. On neither cruise did they make up the bed. I was told this is not something they do for the 3rd pax.

 

I obviously pay full 3rd passenger rates and tip the per person amount so I am not sure what is going on with this 'policy'. I am cruising again shortly and wanted to understand others' recent experiences. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Bob,

 

Every time booked well in advance (over a year!), with the initial reservation. I thought it was a lazy stateroom attendant the first time, but it happened multiple times on different ships. The last time, I insisted that we be provided a comforter and not just a blanket, but I needed to ask several times. It's unpleasant and not a fun way to begin the trip.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd make a beeline for the phone and dial the head of housekeeping  if I ever got any sort of  feeling like that.  

 

are these third  beds the Pullmans, or the couch?  cuz IIRC the Pullman gets made up and left that way all week.   the couch does take more effort but even so it's part of the job description.  

 

but yeah like Bob asks..  did you just rearrange who sleeps where and the steward was blindsided by a cabin that has more pax in it than registered?  if so did you  make it painfully obvious  you knew he was  being inconvenienced and  wave a few pieces of paper that had pictures of  famous politicians on them around?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Host Jacquelyn said:

Hi, it was the couch type, not pullman. Each time, the 3rd passenger was fully on the reservation. Maybe because he is a kid and not an adult...? Although that should not make a difference since the price is the same regardless.

no it shouldn't not at all.  I'd so complain to the head housekeeper and make it quite clear that you expect ALL passengers in the cabin to be treated equally

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Host Jacquelyn said:

Hi, it was the couch type, not pullman. Each time, the 3rd passenger was fully on the reservation. Maybe because he is a kid and not an adult...? Although that should not make a difference since the price is the same regardless.

 

They make up the bed each day whether it is a pullman or a sofabed.  Never heard a pullman not being taken care of each day.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Utter nonsense.  When I sailed with my two kids (teenagers and then young adults), the bed was ALWAYS made up without asking.  And when requested, the sofabed got extra padding.  Never a problem.  Never any side-eye.  Just done as an ordinary, expected thing.

 

I agree that you should call housekeeping immediately if you encounter this again.  Speak with the floor supervisor first.  If this does not get the desired outcome, escalate to the Executive Housekeeper.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the quick replies, everyone. The only times I have encountered this was on Oasis class, all other classes have been no problem. I am sailing Freedom class next, so hoping for no issues. I will be sure to speak up if so, but it is not a good start to the cruise. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Host Jacquelyn said:

Dumb question, right???

 

On my last few cruises, the room staff have been very hesitant to provide bedding and make up the bed for the 3rd passenger. On one cruise, they only provided a bottom sheet and scratchy blanket (no comforter or flat sheet) upon request. On my last cruise, I had to demand full bedding, and was only provided it very reluctantly. On neither cruise did they make up the bed. I was told this is not something they do for the 3rd pax.

 

I obviously pay full 3rd passenger rates and tip the per person amount so I am not sure what is going on with this 'policy'. I am cruising again shortly and wanted to understand others' recent experiences. 

I have never known this and we always have an accessible cabin for 3,  with a sofa bed for the third person.

 

Some of the cabin stewards have asked if they can leave the sofa bed set up, instead of making it up every night.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2019 at 12:54 PM, Host Jacquelyn said:

Hi Bob,

 

Every time booked well in advance (over a year!), with the initial reservation. I thought it was a lazy stateroom attendant the first time, but it happened multiple times on different ships. The last time, I insisted that we be provided a comforter and not just a blanket, but I needed to ask several times. It's unpleasant and not a fun way to begin the trip.

The manifest shows three people to  a stateroom so well then I don't expect making the bed up every night. At our timeshare in our 2 bedroom they setup our unit for three.  I would ask my Stateroom politely stating" Would it be possible to setup the bed and take it down every night for this third person along with a third Bathrobe, Mattress Topper etc?". If its not done after a certain amount of times asking then please go to the Supervisor of the Stateroom Attendant and tell them your concern.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2019 at 1:46 PM, Biker19 said:

This is not a ship class problem, but a lazy steward problem. 

All the more reason not to do Automatic Gratuities. I am sorry but I paid you to do your job and now you want a tip for your laziness well I'm sorry it ain't happening especially after giving you more than one chance to rectify this.  I know you have many cabins to take care of but part of your job description is to make up the beds per the guest's wishes. If you can't do your job well then perhaps its not the right one for you.


For instance I know that Housekeeping is not for me but Guest Services would be up my ally. 

 

Laziness is no excuse for poor service. If my Stateroom Attendant left dirty towels and glasses failed to make up the beds well then tough luck they either get a prorated tip or none at all depending on what they do and don't do. 

 

I come on vacation not to have to waste time telling the crew to do their job day after day. 

 

What helps is on the first day try to meet your stateroom attendant and tell them what your needs are. See how well they do and if it goes south then tell them or leave them a note on the bed and if after that contact the Executive Housekeeper if not then go to Guest Services and let them take it from there.


Remember these workers get performance reports and if they are not good they get booted. Royal does not want to lose loyal customers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2019 at 1:58 AM, Bloodgem said:

I have never known this and we always have an accessible cabin for 3,  with a sofa bed for the third person.

 

Some of the cabin stewards have asked if they can leave the sofa bed set up, instead of making it up every night.  

Now that is a dumb question. Well of course make it up every night space is limited especially in Interior and Oceanview Cabins. Well duh make up the bed every night  we want to watch TV on the couch.  Accessible stateroom or not makes no difference. 

 

Leave the sofa bed and not making it up in the morning and setting it up in the night makes no sense at all.  Of course we want clean sheets at the very least after a few days.  

 

Wow I am so shocked at this question. Never at a hotel was I asked if we wnated the Murphy Bed Sofa Sleeper made up every morning and in the evening. it was done without me asking.  And yes they got a good tip! 


Is the stateroom attendant trying to save time on your expense? My response would be well of course make up the bed every morning and evening.  That is why you are tipoing to have them do an outstanding job. 

Edited by travelplus
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2019 at 4:58 AM, Bloodgem said:

Some of the cabin stewards have asked if they can leave the sofa bed set up, instead of making it up every night.  

 I have gotten this question, too. Unfortunately there is no room in the non-suite cabins if the sofabed is left open during the day.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently went on a cruise with my sister and a friend and didn’t run into this problem, in fact the room steward even asked if I like my sofa bed made every evening and put away every morning I said no just leave it and after that everyday it had the full bedding that was straightening daily and extra pillows when I asked 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2020
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...