Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

We will be on the Epic TA this November. What is the best location to play LCR  on the Epic and who would I need to speak with to get permission to play there. Obviously it would be on sea days and preferably early afternoon. First time on Epic and would appreciate suggestions.

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You want to make sure they give you a room with tables. We were able to book a meeting room on the Getaway that was across from the library. Playing LRC on the floor is not fun for old knees.  The bar area between Cagney's and Moderno is pretty quiet during the day, and you wouldn't be right out in public. 

Keith, LRC is Left, Right, Center. A game played with 3 dice and 3 $1 bills. They knew we were playing for money and no one seemed to care. I thought we'd get shut down for competing with the casino!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I can't imagine you would need permission.   I would say maybe Maltings or shakers where you could put a couple tables together.   We did this in February on a family Carnival cruise as a place to gather pre-dinner.  Staff was amused.

Edited by ejnsb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the jewel the organiser arranged for us to have the ships boardroom to play which was rather nice.

Not sure who she asked to make it happen.

 

@KeithJenner Left Centre right, have a look on youtube it's a fun game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, ejnsb said:

I can't imagine you would need permission.   I would say maybe Maltings or shakers where you could put a couple tables together.   We did this in February on a family Carnival cruise as a place to gather pre-dinner.  Staff was amused.

You need permission to book a room for the same time every day. We had over 50 people the first day, all crammed into a meeting room with folding chairs. You can't just take over one of those rooms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't realize you were talking about those kind of numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, ejnsb said:

Didn't realize you were talking about those kind of numbers.

 

Me too.  We usually play with just the people we are cruising with usually 4 to 8.  Left, Right, Center is a great game and requires no thinking which makes it an excellent game to pair with the UBP.  😁

Edited by Oakman58

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, ejnsb said:

Didn't realize you were talking about those kind of numbers.

 

The OP did not mention those numbers and said it was only sea days.

Small numbers would work in the card room, the Epic has a good sized card room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, stevejco said:

We will be on the Epic TA this November. What is the best location to play LCR  on the Epic and who would I need to speak with to get permission to play there. Obviously it would be on sea days and preferably early afternoon. First time on Epic and would appreciate suggestions.

 

Thanks

 

Best to join the Roll Call for your Epic TA - there are bound to be somebody organizing the LCR for sea days. If not, you can introduce yourself and see if anyone are interested, and ask if a room can be booked.

 

We have been on 5 TAs, and on the latter 3 of them we played LCR - great fun - and we're booked on the Encore TA and the Spirit Arabian Odyssey (in Feb) with many sea days, and both have LCR games organized.

 

Number of people = 20 to 35. Time = 1 to 1.5 hours.

 

One TA after the regular LCR game on the last sea day several of us opted to stay behind to play the high stake LCR - 3x$5 = $15 - and it was great fun.

 

Forgot to add: it was in La Cucina on the Jade (before the dry dock, as it had long tables), in the Le Bistro on Escape, and in the Bliss nightclub on the Getaway.

 

 

Edited by bluesea777

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

What is LCR?

 

Pity! I was going to bring my LCR dice on the Spirit (as I was taking it to Denmark to play with my cousins) and was going to teach and play with you.

 

We're now booked on the Encore TA (it's going cheap) - can you make it?

 

 

 

Edited by bluesea777

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

....or, you could take the daily sea day beginner bridge lessons and learn to play bridge well enough to participate in social games or enter newcomer games at your home community's bridge club.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bluesea777 said:

 

Pity! I was going to bring my LCR dice on the Spirit (as I was taking it to Denmark to play with my cousins) and was going to teach and play with you.

 

 

I have heard of it as lots of people were playing it on the Escape transatlantic, although I didn’t get involved.

 

I didn’t automatically recognise it from the initials and the OP had them the other way round so it didn’t come up when I googled it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LCR stands for left center right.  Each player starts with three tokens/quarters/dollars or whatever you want to play for.   You take turns rolling dice l, c, r or a dot on each side.  You pass your tokens left, right, or center (the pot) or nowhere for dots.  Last one standing wins the pot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

 

Best to join the Roll Call for your Epic TA - there are bound to be somebody organizing the LCR for sea days. If not, you can introduce yourself and see if anyone are interested, and ask if a room can be booked.

 

We have been on 5 TAs, and on the latter 3 of them we played LCR - great fun - and we're booked on the Encore TA and the Spirit Arabian Odyssey (in Feb) with many sea days, and both have LCR games organized.

 

Number of people = 20 to 35. Time = 1 to 1.5 hours.

 

One TA after the regular LCR game on the last sea day several of us opted to stay behind to play the high stake LCR - 3x$5 = $15 - and it was great fun.

 

Forgot to add: it was in La Cucina on the Jade (before the dry dock, as it had long tables), in the Le Bistro on Escape, and in the Bliss nightclub on the Getaway.

 

 

Lol I am on the roll call and nobody has stepped up so I'm gathering Intel before I volunteer.  I have played many times. In fact I believe that you are correct about La Cucina on the Jade as we were on the same TA. I like the high stakes on the last day idea.

So more to the point anticipating 30 or more participating what specific venue on the Epic might work best. Thanks to all for your replies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

 

The OP did not mention those numbers and said it was only sea days.

Small numbers would work in the card room, the Epic has a good sized card room.

My apologies totally forgot to mention the numbers involved. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, stevejco said:

My apologies totally forgot to mention the numbers involved. 

 

No problem, I would book a meeting room if you have that many, I think we had a meeting room booked and got moved to the boardroom due to a double booking.

The person who booked it was ambassador level and I suspect she had a lot of sway 🙂, we ended up with the whole boardroom for 4 of us as we were clashing with roll call events on sea days.

If you talk to the person organising your roll call, they should be able to help book a meeting room. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...