Formal nights - does everyone do it?

Hi all:

I don't mean to throw cold water on this topic.  Personally we dress with hubby wearing a suit or nice sports coat and myself sporting something special like a cocktail dress, etc.  However, we have spotted and once were led to a table where everyone was wearing an old T-shirt and shorts.. Yes.. and no one said a word.  So we looked great all dressed up while others wore their lets go clean out the yard attire.  Unless the cruise ship management begins to enforce their rules, its open season and folks wear what they please which we find slightly annoying and somewhat disrespectful to other cruisers who so enjoy this portion of their cruise.  If you can afford to pay for your vacation, then you can afford acceptable clothing, or you can spend your money elsewhere.  I guess it depends on your point of view.   

Edited by chiquita cruiser
mispelled word
  • Like 2

As much as we would love to dress up on formal night, we are spending several days in London prior to the cruise and only have a carry on. So my husband will bring slacks and a button down or polo shirt and I will wear a sundress. We just don’t have room in our luggage for a suit.

And those people who do not wish to dress up or do not have room in their bags for dress, shoes, tights, handbag, man’s suit shirt and tie etc have ALSO paid their money. And therefore it’s THEIR holiday. And if they don’t want to go to all the hassle of dressing up on their holiday then that’s their choice. A holiday is a time ro

relax. If dressing up in a cocktail

dress and shoes is not enjoyable to someone then why should they be forced to on holiday? 

We are from the United States and love to dress up because in Colorado it is very relaxed. We've noticed a steady decline through the years of people dressing very casual on formal nights (aka dress your best).  I was elated in May when I sailed on the Independence and all the Brits, Irish, Australians and Scotts dressed very nice.  I did not feel over dressed at all and was happy I was surrounded by those who like to do the same.  Can't wait until our next cruise abroad.  

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Nicdigby said:

And those people who do not wish to dress up or do not have room in their bags for dress, shoes, tights, handbag, man’s suit shirt and tie etc have ALSO paid their money. And therefore it’s THEIR holiday. And if they don’t want to go to all the hassle of dressing up on their holiday then that’s their choice. A holiday is a time ro

relax. If dressing up in a cocktail

dress and shoes is not enjoyable to someone then why should they be forced to on holiday? 

You have the option to Dress up or wear what you Like , no one is forced to go to the MDR you can eat at the Windjammer where the dress code is definitely relaxed to non existent as are manners . Birds of a feather flock together 🙂