Ship List--REAL Voom Internet (your help appreciated)

• 3 months later...
32 minutes ago, matchacreamkitty said:

Thanks! Was it good though? Were you able to make VOIP calls?

I don't remember. I'm heading back next Monday so I'll check it out next week!

On 8/23/2019 at 1:47 PM, joshuamg said:

@serialcruiser48 Thanks so much for your additional feedback here and the lovely "gloom" lingo. I'm totally stealing that! 😉 I worked 3 B2Bs from the Brilliance last fall on Gloom and it actually worked out ok for what I needed but of course I'd rather have O3B to ensure better stability for my video meetings (I do 6 hrs of Zoom Video mtgs a day, surprisingly, Gloom on the Brilliance squeaked by!). From your experience, would you suggest a ship with Gloom over a ship with Capped Voom O3B (60mb Enchantment)?

6 hrs of Zoom mtgs a day...You are my hero 🙂 I am on Allure of the Seas right now and today was my first day working remotely on cruise. My first zoom meeting went ok because internet cut off whenever the room door close and open. 

Do you usually work in public area? Any outlets? 

1 hour ago, DustFSU said:

I just ordered Voom plus stream. Does it time you out and have to log into it? Or once you are onboard and set it up you are good to go?

Once you are logged on you are good to go for duration of your trip.  My phone would automatically reconnect to ship wifi after a port day as long as you set up wifi to automatically reconnect.

17 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Once you are logged on you are good to go for duration of your trip.  My phone would automatically reconnect to ship wifi after a port day as long as you set up wifi to automatically reconnect.

Thanks so much for the help

On 3/3/2020 at 9:47 AM, DustFSU said:

I just ordered Voom plus stream. Does it time you out and have to log into it? Or once you are onboard and set it up you are good to go?

I had some issues switching devices. A simple trick was going to the browser and go to the following pages:

logout.com

logmein.com

The note on the Ovation was interesting. We did the Ovation in August to Alaska, and the Internet was fantastic. We had 0 issues, and were streaming stuff left and right, and uploading photos and stuff. In fact, the only ship in the last 2 years we've had crappy Internet on was the Radiance, but no idea if they upgraded it by now or not.

• 6 months later...

Hi - any update on the progress in updating older RCI ships with "real" Voom?  In particular interested in Adventure, Vision and Rhapsody OTS.  We're currently booked on Harmony OTS for a transatlantic in Oct 2021 (which has real Voom) but would consider moving to one of the other ships for lower suite pricing if the internet was acceptable.

Related question - any reports on the signal strength/stability on real Voom during Transatlantic crossings?  Haven't done a TA in about 6-8 years (all on X) and we experienced internet dead spots after leaving the Canary Islands until nearing Florida.  

Thanks in advance for any more recent info!  

28 minutes ago, Brucemcdou said:

Hi - any update on the progress in updating older RCI ships with "real" Voom?  In particular interested in Adventure, Vision and Rhapsody OTS.  We're currently booked on Harmony OTS for a transatlantic in Oct 2021 (which has real Voom) but would consider moving to one of the other ships for lower suite pricing if the internet was acceptable.

Related question - any reports on the signal strength/stability on real Voom during Transatlantic crossings?  Haven't done a TA in about 6-8 years (all on X) and we experienced internet dead spots after leaving the Canary Islands until nearing Florida.  

Thanks in advance for any more recent info!  

No update that we know of.  I doubt Royal is spending money to upgrade ships during this pause but that's just my opinion.  I not expecting any new or different ships to magically be O3b once they restart.

For O3b ships on transatlantics it works just like the Caribbean.  

Edited by twangster
39 minutes ago, Brucemcdou said:

- any update on the progress in updating older RCI ships with "real" Voom?

RCI wouldn't even pay for a new light blue paint for Explorer (like other ships got in drydock), so one should not expect it to upgrade something that already works (most of the time). 

Biker, who thinks that years down the road RCI will eventually shift to low earth orbit internet.