Cruise Critic Community
toniw

Yellow Fever Vaccination

World Health Organization  states that Panama Canal itself is not a yellow fever zone and does not recommend vaccination for transiting the canal. Any one having trouble with the demand to produce a vaccination certificate or exemption letter that has been sprung upon as after non refundable cancellation date for Tilbury to Sydney cruise?

WHO Panama Canal information.jpg

In 2018 before our world cruise which took in a stop in Colombia and then Panama we had to produce either a Yellow Fever vaccination certificate  or an exemption letter prior to boarding in Tilbury otherwise we would not have been allowed onboard.  I had had the vaccination in 1971 prior to moving to India but NHS records of that were non-existent so I had to have the shot (at a cost of £56) all over again.  I think you are a hostage to fortune with cruise lines: either you do as they demand or no cruise.  Most of us meekly obey.

Hmmm interesting but will CMV and/or the authority’s of the places who demand it accept a waiver form.

Was the person who died already suffering from other problems which might have been exacerbated by the injection?  I would have thought that any medical person would have checked their patient's records prior to giving the injection as my GP did.

9 hours ago, Wombat wills said:

Hmmm interesting but will CMV and/or the authority’s of the places who demand it accept a waiver form.

Yes, they accept the waiver for the over-60s. It is widely known that some people go for this. It is a personal decision. We are in our early sixties, but still had it. No problems. I really didn’t want to catch yellow fever! If we were much older/in poor health our doctor would presumably have advised against it.

Just had our yellow fever jab. Nurse scared me to death with the statistics. Just hope I’m not the one in 45000 with disastrous side effects!!!