Cruise Critic Community
rattanchair

Intimidation vs Tipping

Posted (edited)

Sorry Ratty old pal, it’s a zzzzzzzzzz from me as well. It’s just all become so tedious.

I wish you well, lording it in the YC, with Vishnu at your side, distributing largesse to the poor who no doubt tug their forelocks in appreciation.

For me, I’ll just quietly pay the auto grats and disappear into the sunset without the adulation nor attention you crave on board and online.

Edited by Omega1

Perhaps I need a twitter account to counter all the "fake news" being disseminated about me. Can not people read my posts and determine for themselves?

3 minutes ago, Omega1 said:

For me, I’ll just quietly pay the auto grats and disappear into the sunset

A definite philanthropist in the making.

12 hours ago, rattanchair said:

These posts of late remind me of a Cindi Lauper song 'True Colors' shining through.

Jesus.... A nice, for once sunny, UK bank holiday away, return ...and this saga remains strong 😑

It's like X-Factor for the clinically depressed!

Note to self ..."find a way to put in to practice the desire to stop and not be sucked in", as this thread needs way less airtime.

My song of homage...

Monotonous by Eartha Kitt or maybe Let it Go from Frozen (one for the kids or young at heart)

2 hours ago, citizenfrank said:

Jesus.... A nice, for once sunny, UK bank holiday away, return ...and this saga remains strong 😑

It's like X-Factor for the clinically depressed!

Note to self ..."find a way to put in to practice the desire to stop and not be sucked in", as this thread needs way less airtime.

My song of homage...

Monotonous by Eartha Kitt or maybe Let it Go from Frozen (one for the kids or young at heart)

You need a longer holiday.

14 minutes ago, rattanchair said:

You need a longer holiday.

That I do, that I do!

Though can you please post your future sailings? ....As I'd love to share the ocean with you

According to online industry trade information., they report how much crew members actually receive. The daily service charge accounts for 85.7% of the crew members daily guaranteed daily rate of $40 / day should 50 % of the passengers opt out of the service charge, it leaves the cruise line to make up the difference. Example:  Daily guaranteed rate of $40 x 7 day cruise =$280.

1000 passengers x $12 DSC x 7 days / 350 eligible crew = $240 and the cruise line has to make up the $40 to pay them their guaranteed $280. The cruise lines use all the DSC to cover the crew salary. If more passengers pay the DSC, the crew get it in addition to their guaranteed salary which is low to begin with.  But what do 50% of the non-paying DSC passengers care as long as their lobster and filet mignon are done to their liking....  "Let them eat 'rice' !'   Now, let us not 'lose our heads' over this.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, citizenfrank said:

That I do, that I do!

Though can you please post your future sailings? ....As I'd love to share the ocean with you

Looking at your  photo is like looking at my reflection.. We already share 'good looks'.

Edited by rattanchair

13 minutes ago, rattanchair said:

Looking at your  photo is like looking at my reflection.. We already share 'good looks'.

I've literally just choked here! PMSL

The CC posters on this thread must have missed this or turned the channel because it did not agree with their world view: London's channel 4 sent a reporter undercover to work for 5 weeks aboard a popular, upscale cruise ship you all talk about. The expose reported that the lowest paid on board workers were receiving about $600/ mo or about $2.00 /hr with no gratuities. Most worked 7 days a week for six to 8 months.They are forced to pay 'expensive fees' to recruitment agencies in their home countries. Our undercover worker earned $3.75 / hr, expected to work 16 hours each day, and charged $700 by his recruitment agency. Yes he started work in debt. So if you do not get that reciprocal "Pollyanna" smile back some day, maybe you will be a tad more understanding when it comes to tip time.

10 minutes ago, rattanchair said:

The CC posters on this thread must have missed this or turned the channel because it did not agree with their world view: London's channel 4 sent a reporter undercover to work for 5 weeks aboard a popular, upscale cruise ship you all talk about. The expose reported that the lowest paid on board workers were receiving about $600/ mo or about $2.00 /hr with no gratuities. Most worked 7 days a week for six to 8 months.They are forced to pay 'expensive fees' to recruitment agencies in their home countries. Our undercover worker earned $3.75 / hr, expected to work 16 hours each day, and charged $700 by his recruitment agency. Yes he started work in debt. So if you do not get that reciprocal "Pollyanna" smile back some day, maybe you will be a tad more understanding when it comes to tip time.

The main reason I find it disappointing that people cancel the DSC with the reasoning of tipping those few they've interacted with directly. I don't want to get embroiled in a DSC discussion as it degenerates faster than any subject.

There are the passenger facing staff who enhance and directly provide services on our cruises, there are also many non - customer facing staff, without who, working very, very hard behind the scenes, our cruises would not be the enjoyable experience they are.  Some of those are probably the most poorly paid and never receive additional tips for their work and are therefore the most impacted by removing the DSC.  

1 hour ago, rattanchair said:

Channel 4 ? Really! Now there is an unbiased channel .... Not.

1 minute ago, sidari said:

Channel 4 ? Really! Now there is an unbiased channel .... Not.

You mean you have 'fake' news stations in UK like we have in the US.

I got this from the "Daily Mail" ( I suppose it is another biased media outlet): Confessions of a cruise ship waiter on board a popular cruise ship.

As a waiter he worked over 100 hours a week for 15 straight weeks.Crew work 7 days a week without a day off for up to 10 months. " Pay is not commensurate with hours worked, hence the lack of First World crew. Sailing international waters, flying flags of convenience, allow cruise ships to break labor laws found in First World nations. The worst part of the job is being 'owned' by the corporation.  They control what you eat, when you eat, when you can go to use the toilet, how cold it is in your cabin, everything. If you've already worked 12 hours that day and they need you for another 4 hours, you work it no questions asked. We average 4 to 5 hours of sleep each night. After months of that you are in perpetual zombie-mode. Thank goodness for tips." (his words, not RC).

Sounds like a trip to the planet Mars would be a 'piece of cake' compared to 6 months working on a cruise ship. Just think, you do not have put up with self-obsessed, self-entitled, over indulged bunch of pikers.

24 minutes ago, rattanchair said:

I got this from the "Daily Mail" ( I suppose it is another biased media outlet):

Got it in one there Ratty - no flies on you, again.

A bit of friendly help, if you want to add credibility and gravitas to your treatise, don’t quote the Daily Fail.

25 minutes ago, Omega1 said:

Got it in one there Ratty - no flies on you, again.

A bit of friendly help, if you want to add credibility and gravitas to your treatise, don’t quote the Daily Fail.

Said the spider to the fly

19 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

The main reason I find it disappointing that people cancel the DSC with the reasoning of tipping those few they've interacted with directly. I don't want to get embroiled in a DSC discussion as it degenerates faster than any subject.

There are the passenger facing staff who enhance and directly provide services on our cruises, there are also many non - customer facing staff, without who, working very, very hard behind the scenes, our cruises would not be the enjoyable experience they are.  Some of those are probably the most poorly paid and never receive additional tips for their work and are therefore the most impacted by removing the DSC.  

BRAVO Fox...well said and so true.  A reasonable person should be able to figure out that the dishwashers, cleaners, food prep people and maintenance people are the ones who work 12-16 hours a day for months at a time.  Many of these people are the prime earners for their families and elders at home.

Unfortunately, where some here are concerned, you are whistling into the wind.  

3 hours ago, citizenfrank said:

What is the direction of this question exactly?

That we may be related, old chap.  You have opened up a whole new avenue of examination on this thread. The age old question of nature vs nurture.  How can two, practically identical, maybe even twins, with similar genetic structure have such different world views. One is sympathetic, empathetic and compassionate to the plight of his fellowman; the other is a piker who uses intimidation and veiled threats to 'cow' people into submission....

As an aside, we should contact the Broccoli heirs and help them out. They need a replacement for Daniel Craig. With our good looks we should audition for the role of Bond . We are shoo-ins ! You will have to play the lead role because you have a better accent; I will be your stand-in, from 3' no one could tell the difference. (two for the price of one). I just have to convince DW to let me take my cloths off for those 'steamy' scenes.

11 minutes ago, rattanchair said:

That we may be related, old chap.  You have opened up a whole new avenue of examination on this thread. The age old question of nature vs nurture.  How can two, practically identical, maybe even twins, with similar genetic structure have such different world views. One is sympathetic, empathetic and compassionate to the plight of his fellowman; the other is a piker who uses intimidation and veiled threats to 'cow' people into submission....

As an aside, we should contact the Broccoli heirs and help them out. They need a replacement for Daniel Craig. With our good looks we should audition for the role of Bond . We are shoo-ins ! You will have to play the lead role because you have a better accent; I will be your stand-in, from 3' no one could tell the difference. (two for the price of one). I just have to convince DW to let me take my cloths off for those 'steamy' scenes.

How fortunate you are, Frank!  To be recognized as empathetic (actually, I think he means empathic, given his background in literature and science fiction!) and compassionate by a highly valued CC contributor is truly an honor.😉

And to think that he is apparently willing to give you the 'cloths' off his back is impressive.  Truly efficient without the use of an 'e.'

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, JAGR said:

How fortunate you are, Frank!  To be recognized as empathetic (actually, I think he means empathic, given his background in literature and science fiction!) and compassionate by a highly valued CC contributor is truly an honor.😉

And to think that he is apparently willing to give you the 'cloths' off his back is impressive.  Truly efficient without the use of an 'e.'

Thank you for your kind words, Sensei, and spelling corrections. Perhaps I should send my posts to you for review before I stick my foot in my mouth.

Edited by rattanchair

10 minutes ago, JAGR said:

I think he was referring to the loincloths that Vishnu provides. They are his attire of choice in the YC.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Omega1 said:

I think he was referring to the loincloths that Vishnu provides. They are his attire of choice in the YC.

I was going to refer to such, but had second thoughts. You must be my 'evil' conscience on my left shoulder, but was over ruled my 'better' conscience on my right.

P.S. Vishnu does not provide them, but he does have them laundered.

Edited by rattanchair