Delay docking in Port Everglades

Nanascraps

We are cruising to the Caribbean on Princess November 7 and we’re coming in the day before so no problem there what I’m a little apprehensive about is our flight back to Phoenix. It says that the ship docks at 7:00 and we always take our own luggage off but we’ve never been to the Caribbean or Ft Lauderdale. Flight leaves at 10:10 am is the ship usually on time there?

• Haha 1

If you look down the board, there are dozens of discussions on recommended flight times. 10:10 is a bit early, but if you carry off your bags, grab a cab, and don't have any mobility issues, you should make a 10:10 flight. You will need to move with a purpose.

As to ships getting late, it is very, very rare. It is rare a ship docks as late as 7am, typically the latest docking in about 6:30.

Curious, what is your plan B if you miss your flight?

1 hour ago, Nanascraps said:

I saw all the questions after I asked the question. 🙂 Southwest said that if we do miss our flight they will put us on the next flight out. 

Would that be the next flight with availability or the next flight?

I would hate to think they would bump others  for your mistake in booking too early of a flight

• Haha 1

Quite sure that would be the next flight with availability... so you are standby, with your luggage, until they have seats. And if you are a family you need to be ready to split up because they may have 1 or 2 seats, and no way to be sure how many on the flight after that!  Flights operate at very high capacities these days.

I would book a later flight out and just spend some time in the 17th street area of Ft.Lauderdale. We grab a cab and go to the closest hotel and just ask them to hold our bags, $5. Then walk around, have lunch,ect. Head to the airport when you are ready, its a 10 min ride, about 3 miles. That airport can get real crowded if there is 5-7 ships in port that day.

Returning on Princess to PE a few years ago....so early it was still dark....announcement over the PA, "Disembarking will be delayed briefly as we cannot find anyone who has a key to the terminal building."  LOL

The actual delay may have been 20 minutes but it was good for a laff...and disembarking still began well before 7am.

9 hours ago, thinfool said:

announcement over the PA, "Disembarking will be delayed briefly as we cannot find anyone who has a key to the terminal building."  LOL

January on the Nieuw Statendam, our docking at Terminal 26 was delayed first by an electrical failure in the terminal followed by the need, at least two times, to re-position  the lines and the ship due to winds.

On 8/22/2019 at 2:36 PM, Nanascraps said:

I saw all the questions after I asked the question. :) Southwest said that if we do miss our flight they will put us on the next flight out. 

Keep in mind that it's not the next flight out, but the next flight with available seats.  You could potentially be stuck for hours.  I once had a flight cancelled for mechanical issues and had to wait 11 hours for the next available seat.  That was actually on Southwest!

When I used to fly non-rev standby, I sometimes waited days on a flight out.

Just know that flights out of  FLL, most times of the year, are flying with full loads.  Novemmber through Easter you can count on it.

I haven't been on a flight in years that wasn't full.

Iyou can change the flight ahead of time, I would.

Not to add to the OPs potential misary, but our recent cruise on the Carnival Magic was the 1st time the ship disembarked "on time" with the first folks off at about 6:45. Several other cruises I have been (at Port Everglades and other ports) have had delays either for customs reasons or because of an emergency (medical debark). Unfortunately, those types of things can be random and can slow down clearance of the ship.