Cruise Critic Community
lucy2mb

What has birthday gift been on Carnival recently?

We will be on a Carnival cruise in October.   Our daughter's birthday is that month and we wondered if Carnival is still giving $50 spa credit during your birthday month.   Our son got $50 credit a couple of years ago for his birthday in January.

The cabin next to me in January 2019 got a little card with a credit for photos. The steward put it in a note and created a towel animal around it with a balloon.

2 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

The cabin next to me in January 2019 got a little card with a credit for photos. The steward put it in a note and created a towel animal around it with a balloon.

Thanks!   I think my daughter will be disappointed because she was hoping for the spa credit.  This is the first cruise we have taken during her birthday month.   I guess we will just surprise her and she can have spa credit from us for part of her birthday present.

Years ago it used to be a nice birthday cake delivered to your dining table. Lately it was reduced to a cupcake with a candle on it ! 🙂

10 minutes ago, lucy2mb said:

Thanks!   I think my daughter will be disappointed because she was hoping for the spa credit.  This is the first cruise we have taken during her birthday month.   I guess we will just surprise her and she can have spa credit from us for part of her birthday present.

Any spa credit from you will likely be better than any “free” spa credit from Carnival.  I’ve gotten a couple of these $50 spa credits and there have been so many restrictions as to be useless to me.  

In May on the Legend, my Mom was presented with a small cake in the dining room, a $50 spa certificate & a $15 photo certificate from our Room Steward.

It was a nice surprise for her.

I totally understand about the restrictions using the spa credit.  That's why my son didn't get to use his credit.  I am hoping it will be the photo certificate and spa credit and our daughter will be able to use hers.  

5 hours ago, lucy2mb said:

We will be on a Carnival cruise in October.   Our daughter's birthday is that month and we wondered if Carnival is still giving $50 spa credit during your birthday month.   Our son got $50 credit a couple of years ago for his birthday in January.

There is no "Carnival" birthday gift.  On some ships, cabin stewards have the ability to give gifts cards for the spa, photos, a bottle of wine, etc.  It is not a for sure anything.

Posted (edited)

I sometimes get the $50 spa credit but I've never used it.

I actually don't expect anything from Carnival for my BDay so I'm never disappointed.

Edited by evandbob

14 hours ago, lucy2mb said:

I think my daughter will be disappointed because she was hoping for the spa credit.   

She should be thankful for anything she receives as a gift.

Not disappointed.

My friend just came back from a cruise and she only got a small cake in the MDR.

My birthday cruise is in December. I hope to get something good. 🙂

9 hours ago, evandbob said:

I sometimes get the $50 spa credit but I've never used it.

I actually don't expect anything from Carnival for my BDay so I'm never disappointed.

I have been on a cruise on my birthday the last two Decembers and got a $50 Spa credit gift card both cruises. Even with the credit there is no way I would ever use it. I can’t justify paying 4-5 times more for any spa service than I would pay back home. In my opinion, the spa is the biggest rip off on the ship, but they wouldn’t charge the prices they do if people weren’t willing to pay them. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jamericannn said:

My friend just came back from a cruise and she only got a small cake in the MDR.

🙂

Wow....Tragic.

If I get a small cake for my birthday in a few weeks, I will be thankful.

It is the thought that counts, not the size of the gift ........or in this case..... cake.

Edited by thesmiths

4 minutes ago, thesmiths said:

Wow....Tragic.

If I get a small cake for my birthday in a few weeks, I will be thankful.

It is the thought that counts, not the size of the gift ........or in this case..... cake.

Likewise. It would be one cake more than I had :). I said “only” because I know a lot of people expect them to get a lot more things. My hope is to get a spa discount or some feee photos. I hate when I have to look at my photos on the wall and walk away because I cannot afford all of them. Lol

I got the $50 spa gift card this past June. It went right in the trash can.

The $50 Spa card is useless, since all the services there  cost far more than that.  I guess if one were already going to purchase a service there, the card could be used as a discount - that's the point, I guess - to draw you in and sell you something terribly overpriced,

We never heard of birthday gifts till 2 years ago.  Our son's birthday is in January and he got a gift 2 times.  He was happy to get the free picture last year but didn't use the spa certificate.   The rest of us have not been on cruises during our birthday month.  This will be our first October cruise and our daughter is excited about getting the spa credit, hopefully.   I understand that all ships don't offer it but since ours is an 8 night cruise, I think she has a good chance getting the credit.  I know the prices are a lot higher in the spa than what people pay usually, but it will just be a special treat for our daughter if she gets it and can use it.  

I use the spa card every time for a blowout.  The price is the same as as resort.

My 50th is on Sep 3rd (during the cruise I'll be on). Not expecting anything, but I'd have to admit I'd rather have a cupcake or a photo certificate than the spa stuff. We'll see! 🙂

OP, since these gift cards come from the room stewards, maybe you can pull them aside, explain about your daughter's birthday, and request the photo one.

We have never been able to use the spa certificate... one time I was going to get a massage but they told me that it wasn't applicable to services that were on sale, and the only slots where the massage wasn't on sale were booked. Waste of plastic, in my opinion!

Spa and photo certificates have been in my cabin on the last few cruises on Pride, even in months when it wasn't my birthday.

I don't use either service so they aren't of any use to me and of course, you can't pass them on to someone else since they're non-transferable.

I certainly hope that people don't really believe that these are "gifts" from the cabin steward...LOL

It's advertising...at it's worst.

1 hour ago, sgttami said:

Spa and photo certificates have been in my cabin on the last few cruises on Pride, even in months when it wasn't my birthday.

I don't use either service so they aren't of any use to me and of course, you can't pass them on to someone else since they're non-transferable.

I certainly hope that people don't really believe that these are "gifts" from the cabin steward...LOL

It's advertising...at it's worst.

They aren't gifts from the stewards. They are distributed by the stewards.  I'm sure the OP could ask for her daughter.