Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
reeinaz

What is generally worn in the night clubs?

Recommended Posts

I'm sailing on the Valor in December and am curious about what people (women especially) wear in the club at night. I've searched and have seen the usual answer is "you will see a bit of everything". But I'd like to know what the typical dress is like, if there is a typical. Does it look like people dressed specifically for the club, wore what they wore to the MDR for dinner, wore what they wore in the more casual dining areas for dinner, that sort of thing. I would normally wear a club dress if going to a club on shore. But that's more because that's what is generally worn rather than my desire to wear it. I know I can pretty much wear what I want, but I don't want to feel out of place by being either over or underdressed. If it matters, I'm in my mid-40s

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I plan on changing into shorts after dinner. Not too concerned about feeling out of place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, reeinaz said:

I'm sailing on the Valor in December and am curious about what people (women especially) wear in the club at night. I've searched and have seen the usual answer is "you will see a bit of everything". But I'd like to know what the typical dress is like, if there is a typical. Does it look like people dressed specifically for the club, wore what they wore to the MDR for dinner, wore what they wore in the more casual dining areas for dinner, that sort of thing. I would normally wear a club dress if going to a club on shore. But that's more because that's what is generally worn rather than my desire to wear it. I know I can pretty much wear what I want, but I don't want to feel out of place by being either over or underdressed. If it matters, I'm in my mid-40s

 

Thanks

Since people will be wearing all sorts - some will dress up, some will wear shorts, etc., just wear what makes you comfortable and you will not be out of place because there will be others the same regardless.

 

That is why the correct answer is as you stated above "you will see a bit of everything." That means there is no reason to feel out of place.

 

 

Edited by amyotravel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last couple of times we have gone our entire group was in shorts because that is what we all had on.  You will see a little bit of everything.  There were plenty of people in shorts and also in dresses.  You will be fine in whatever you choose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no norm.  People wear what they feel comfortable wearing (not what the “club” moniker dictates) within the general dress code published the cruiseline (such as no t-shirts with profanity, etc). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I second "no norm".  While some people stay in their nice dinner outfit, there is no such thing as "dressing up to go clubbing", like on land.  People just wear whatever, like they would to a dive bar, even though the nightclub has the usual colored lights, a dance floor, and overpriced cocktails.  Shorts and T-shirts are very common.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually just wear whatever I had on for dinner.  I 3rd or 4th the no norm.  You will see everything from cocktail dresses to shorts.  Even a few long gowns down to flip flops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

landlockedcruiser…. I love the response "like they would to a dive bar".  Sounds great to me!!  This is what I love about cruising, we are all on vacation!  I always tell people who ask me about cruising that it is the most fun because every single person on the ship is on vacation.  No one is there for business, for a funeral, etc.  We are all there for fun, relaxing, eating, exploring, etc...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, reeinaz said:

I'm sailing on the Valor in December and am curious about what people (women especially) wear in the club at night. I've searched and have seen the usual answer is "you will see a bit of everything". But I'd like to know what the typical dress is like, if there is a typical. Does it look like people dressed specifically for the club, wore what they wore to the MDR for dinner, wore what they wore in the more casual dining areas for dinner, that sort of thing. I would normally wear a club dress if going to a club on shore. But that's more because that's what is generally worn rather than my desire to wear it. I know I can pretty much wear what I want, but I don't want to feel out of place by being either over or underdressed. If it matters, I'm in my mid-40s

 

Thanks

 

Since you're on a cruise ship, the best answer would be "cruise casual". So, basically what you might wear if you're going to lunch at the buffet, or a deck party on the Lido deck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lasvegascruising said:

landlockedcruiser…. I love the response "like they would to a dive bar".  Sounds great to me!!  This is what I love about cruising, we are all on vacation!  I always tell people who ask me about cruising that it is the most fun because every single person on the ship is on vacation.  No one is there for business, for a funeral, etc.  We are all there for fun, relaxing, eating, exploring, etc...

I share that mindset too.  I noticed that the women in the ship's nightclubs are way friendlier than in most land nightclubs I've been to.  I never got a bad reaction when asking a woman to dance: an enthusiastic yes or a polite no.  As for dressing up, I draw the line wearing shorts and a T-shirt to dinner and shows.  For the few hours a day those activities take place, I want to dress nice.  But once the dinner ends and the show gets out, the dive bar outfit comes on.

 

1 hour ago, beachbum53 said:

Since you're on a cruise ship, the best answer would be "cruise casual". So, basically what you might wear if you're going to lunch at the buffet, or a deck party on the Lido deck.

Excellent analogy!  That's how I've been dressing for the ship's nightclub.  Although I usually wore gym shoes, rather than pool slippers or sandals.  It's very difficult to do partner dancing in open-toed shoes without those shoes falling off.  Or worse, the woman accidentally stepping on my bare feet.  (Yow!)

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty much whatever....I usually change into something more comfortable after dinner - shorts, loose dress, capris, etc.  You will see some still dressed up from dinner.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we tend to be dressier in general in my area of the US than a lot of places. What I wear to dive bars is more along the line of smart casual because I usually go after work but I dress down a bit that day for the bar.

Ok. So I won't be "dressing" for the club. I plan on wearing dress shorts w/ a blouse or summer dresses for dinner (except for elegant night of course :classic_cool:). Barring any spills, I will likely wear that to the club. Even though the outfits I wear during the day would be fine, I really would feel underdressed and feel the need to pretend that I just popped in as I was passing by :classic_tongue:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...