Cruise Critic Community
Tee & Chilli

Review - Norwegian Sun Aug 16 – 19

Posted (edited)

We recently sailed the Sun to Great Stirrup Cay and Nassau. This cruise was booked 2 ½ weeks prior and we were fortunate to get an accessible cabin.

Gratuities

Almost $21 per person per day! Total for two $123. When I questioned this, the Guest Services Rep says the increase is on the 3 and 4 day cruises. Is this due to the “free open bar”?

Food

Definitely a decline in taste and temperature. Several dishes lacked flavor. The food whether in the dining room or the buffet was often luke warm and not hot. This three day cruise had lots of repeat items on the menu such as calamari, French onion soup, meatloaf and bruschetta. These repeat times were not on the classic menu. Example – the items were listed one day on the appetizer menu and brought back another day for dinner or on the buffet.

Day 2 we went to the buffet for breakfast. The bacon was almost raw (served pink and pale white). I pointed this out to an officer and she agreed. I was brought crispy bacon however how can Norwegian service under cooked pork to so many people.

The soda in the dining room and most bars was flat. We do not use ice so I cannot be blamed. Did NCL reduce the soda due to the “free open bar”.

Discount on 3 day dining package which we did not purchase.

Service

Dining staff was excellent. We ate all three dinners in the Four Seasons dining room located on deck 5 mid-ship. Again, the food has declined and we have previously enjoyed NCL.

Entertainment

We didn’t attend any of the game shows or the glow party. The newlywed not so newlywed show was entertaining, The cruise director Jackie had a good sense of humor. 

Cabin

We stayed in 5213 (ocean view accessible). We liked having two closets and the cabin was able to accommodate a scooter and a rollator with room to spare. The bathroom also had ample space. My mom used the shower seat. The cabin does has a slight step to enter the bathroom. The downside was the design of the bathroom. When showering water filled the floor and it took several towels to dry the water. Having two closets was nice.

Accessibility

Too many inclines and high thresholds around the ship. The scooter was ok with navigating these however using the rollator we had to lift it and it would not roll smoothly over many thresholds. Most public restrooms lacked a button to automatically open the door. Very different for someone using a scooter or wheelchair to enter.

Movies

After day 1, my mom went to Guest Services to ask for movie times. In the cabin there were two movie channels. Semi-newer movies shown were: The Intruder, The Mule, Avengers, Poms, The Best of Enemies, Dumbo, Apollo 11

Internet 

I purchased 100 minutes. According to the chart I’m supposed to get 15 minutes free based on my status. I went to the Internet Manager and he had no idea what I was talking about and sent me to the Cruise Next desk.  That gentleman also had no idea and tried to send me back to the Internet Manager. He then asked me where I saw the free minutes. I pointed to the chart listed on the NCL website. The Cruise Next Manager went to speak with the Internet Manager and it was resolved on Day 2.

Overall

Disappointed!

vbfVDyb4QpelN4TJatj3UQ.jpg

P1e07asSSNmQYSdv5DR2AQ.jpg

Ae8Bq9RITaaNcpqmdTBcSA.jpg

8nWPlsaKQ26a+BJBAuFoHw.jpg

PL+6L1SHRImrfG8kc%s5ig.jpg

Edited by Tee & Chilli

Blow dryer in the bathroom looked like it was from the 1970s? There was a hand held one in the closet.

3Ioqu+ebSxWaEpmlFGFjFA.jpg

You summed up the Sun well. The food is so lacking and repetitive. Believe it or not, I sailed in May 2018 and in July 2019 they were still using the same damn menu. I had pictures to prove it. I remember embarkation day when I saw nachos as a menu item in the MDR I laughed.

And that hair dryer makes me cringe. As you can tell, the bathrooms were not touched whatsoever during the refit a few years ago.

It is what it is. A cheap, last minute, getaway with open bar. It serves it’s purpose. But not much else.

I rather like those hair dryers.

Thanks for your review, I loved the SUN when I sailed her, loved the 7 Seas MDR more than the 4 Seasons.  

We have sailed on her last year and loved the ship and staff, we are headed on her in a week and looking so forward to it!

Sorry you had a bad time, sometimes a cruise is not what you think it's going to be, hope your next one is better!

Not everyone likes a "smaller" ship but it fits us well...

On 8/22/2019 at 9:30 PM, Sauer-kraut said:

I rather like those hair dryers.

Thanks for your review, I loved the SUN when I sailed her, loved the 7 Seas MDR more than the 4 Seasons.  

Have sailed her 4 times: we think considering she is older she is a great ship. I will add, the short cruises 2-5 days are always a bit disappointing compared to standard 7 day plus cruisers. But that being said, thanks for sharing your experience. 

12 hours ago, bobsfamily said:

We have sailed on her last year and loved the ship and staff, we are headed on her in a week and looking so forward to it!

Sorry you had a bad time, sometimes a cruise is not what you think it's going to be, hope your next one is better!

Not everyone likes a "smaller" ship but it fits us well...

Totally agree with you. I can't imagine a cruise being as bad as OP saw this one, but everyone sees things in a different lights. Even the dryer thing, I don't really care how old the dryer is, as long as it dries my hair. Please let us know how your cruise goes and happy cruising 

We also enjoy the Sun and have been on her twice.  I didn't experience any of the issues described...EXCEPT the under cooked bacon.  Totally agree with that statement.  For us, the Sun provides a quick get away.  We don't go into it expecting the bells and whistles that the other ships and itineraries have to offer.  That said, NCL still has an obligation to provide a quality product as the contract between customer and company implies.  I hope OP still managed to have a good time despite certain disappointments.

On 8/22/2019 at 7:31 PM, Tee & Chilli said:

Blow dryer in the bathroom looked like it was from the 1970s? There was a hand held one in the closet.

3Ioqu+ebSxWaEpmlFGFjFA.jpg

If my first cruise experience involved pictured hairdryer I would have never cruised again.😳. Cabin ambience can make or break a vacation!!!

4 hours ago, Ozzieru1e said:

If my first cruise experience involved pictured hairdryer I would have never cruised again.😳. Cabin ambience can make or break a vacation!!!

Wow... that would stop you from cruising. Really?

47 minutes ago, bobsfamily said:

Wow... that would stop you from cruising. Really?

Maybe that was an extreme thought! lol.  I probably would try another ship or cruise line.    Love NCL Breakaway class ships because of the decor & ambience plus it’s kept clean.  Since for 7+ days the ship becomes my temporary home, I need my surroundings visually pleasing.  NCL so far have been a wonderful cruise experience for me...some say it’s costly but you get what you pay for.

Was on the Breakaway end of May, not for me. To many people, so the Sun (this time in a suite) will be great for us! Plus no hair dryer on the wall for suites!

12 hours ago, bobsfamily said:

Was on the Breakaway end of May, not for me. To many people, so the Sun (this time in a suite) will be great for us! Plus no hair dryer on the wall for suites!

Our feeling as well, but we are cruising her in about 6 weeks. It was the only cruise that worked for th 4 of us, so we decided to give the Breakaway a shot. AS I said before we love the Dawn and the Sun. I am wondering why the OP actually took pics of her clothes and the closets. I cant figure out what that would have to do with a positive or negative experience.

10 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

Our feeling as well, but we are cruising her in about 6 weeks. It was the only cruise that worked for th 4 of us, so we decided to give the Breakaway a shot. AS I said before we love the Dawn and the Sun. I am wondering why the OP actually took pics of her clothes and the closets. I cant figure out what that would have to do with a positive or negative experience.

Every ship and cruise can be different for the last or next one... Have a wonderful cruise!