Dog Sled - Best for 5,8 & year olds

Randy and Karen

Hi Everyone,

We are talking our kids and grandkids on the RCL Serenade sailing June 28 on the inside passage.   The 4 kids are 9, 8 , 5 & 5.  There are a number of shore trips involving dog sled camps/and or teams.  Has anyone had experience with these tours for this age group?  Any advice?  Any other recommendations?  My husband and I have been to Alaska a few years ago and have some ideas for some things to do 'on our own' but the dog sled looks like it might be fun.  Any guidance appreciated.  Thanks.

Safe Travels,  Karen

• 2 weeks later...

We just did a Musher Camp / Dog Sled excursion in Skagway with out 15yo daughter and it was a blast.  There were also some younger boys on out trip (8 or 9?) that seemed to be having a great time.  This was at the summer camp in Dyea where you ride on a wheeled sled through a forest, not up on the glacier in the snow (which costs 3x as much due to the helicopter flight and is much more weather dependent). 

All of us had a great time on this excursion.  The views were beautiful, the dogs were a lot of fun, and we learned a bunch about the Iditarod. I'd definitely recommend it. 

I don't have any experience in your ports, but we just did the summer sled dog tour in Seward with a 5 (she turned 6 a week later) and 8 year old. It was the highlight of their entire trip, ours too actually. We had friends who went a few weeks before us and it was their one don't miss this activity piece of advice for us. Ours sounds very similar to the Musher Camp/Dog Sled excursion already mentioned. We learned about the dogs, went on a summer sled ride (ours held 6 plus the musher), got to pet the dogs that pulled us, learned about the Ididarod race and met some puppies. I'm not the biggest dog person, but had an amazing time and so glad we did it. Each part wasn't too long, so it was definitely kid appropriate for the ages you have with you.