Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Spiritedcharm

Flip flops in the main dining room

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Spiritedcharm said:

Are "dressier" flip flops like these allowed in the dining room in the evening?

B9C33217-48B3-4ECD-A6BF-24F21CC9AA4D.jpeg

Yes if you are a woman!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes if you are a woman!

 

Seriously? No dressy flip flops for men? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

 

Seriously? No dressy flip flops for men? 

Ewww!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have worn the very same ones with the same toenail polish! Are those my feet?🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Luvcrusn said:

I have worn the very same ones with the same toenail polish! Are those my feet?🤣

 

LOL - aren't they the best! I have them in black too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I consider those to be sandals.  Although I guess technically they are flip flops.

 

When I hear flip flops I usually think of those $2 rubber things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mafig said:

I consider those to be sandals.  Although I guess technically they are flip flops.

 

When I hear flip flops I usually think of those $2 rubber things.

 

Semantics, really.  There was a post on here a few years ago where the posted photo was a pool flip-flop with a flower glued on it that was a big controversy (much wailing and gnashing of teeth on both sides).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, mafig said:

I consider those to be sandals.  Although I guess technically they are flip flops.

 

When I hear flip flops I usually think of those $2 rubber things.

Those are most definitely flip flops. The material they're made from is, well, immaterial.  Any footwear that has a flat sole and held onto the foot by thongs between the toes is a flip flop. Sandals differ in that they tend to have a more structured sole with a heel or wedge and are held in place by straps over the foot and possibly around or behind the heel/ankle. 

 

Sadly, MDR dress standards have declined so much that almost anything is allowed now. Even footwear that used to be restricted to the beach or pool.

Edited by mom says

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it was NCL that refused my entrance to the restaurant since we were both wearing Birkenstocks.  No problem for my wife, but I had to go back and get shoes.  Coincidentally, that was our last cruise on NCL for many reasons.

 

Don't worry at all about your sandals/flip flops on Celebrity.  I've seen folks in real flip flops and tee shirts at dinner.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice bling.  I wear higher heel sandals in the evening but foot comfort comes first...They look  comfy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, mom says said:

Those are most definitely flip flops. The material they're made from is, well, immaterial.  Any footwear that has a flat sole and held onto the foot by thongs between the toes is a flip flop. Sandals differ in that they tend to have a more structured sole with a heel or wedge and are held in place by straps over the foot and possibly around or behind the heel/ankle. 

 

Sadly, MDR dress standards have declined so much that almost anything is allowed now. Even footwear that used to be restricted to the beach or pool.

Ah but the material is material.  Here is the problem with that logic....which of these would you rather see in the dining room?

shoes_if72815.jpg

428670_100_ss_01.jpeg

51F4hqbt13L._UY500_.jpg

nine-west-silver-metallic-seahorse-product-2-6400536-618995440.jpeg

71pw39H6TZL._UY395_.jpg

Edited by vjmatty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

 

Seriously? No dressy flip flops for men? 

Seriously, just like no "dressy" tank tops lol... a woman can wear a spaghetti strap top and look appropriate in the MDR because it is the same as the top of an evening gown or cocktail dress. Not so for dudes, sorry!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mom says said:

Those are most definitely flip flops. The material they're made from is, well, immaterial.  Any footwear that has a flat sole and held onto the foot by thongs between the toes is a flip flop. Sandals differ in that they tend to have a more structured sole with a heel or wedge and are held in place by straps over the foot and possibly around or behind the heel/ankle. 

 

Sadly, MDR dress standards have declined so much that almost anything is allowed now. Even footwear that used to be restricted to the beach or pool.

 

Yep, you're correct.  Everyone doesn't want the rules to apply to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those look like Vionics to me, and they are a legit orthopedic shoe.  They're not cheap, but if you've ever had plantar fasciitis or you'd know they're worth every penny, and you'd have at least five pairs in your closet.  Lifesavers they are. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

Ah but the material is material.  Here is the problem with that logic....which of these would you rather see in the dining room?

 

 

 

 

 

I don't see your point. Only one of those pictured are flip flops. The amount of bling,  or lack rpthereof has nothing to do with it. And personally,  I wouldn't wear any of them. Most are gaudy/tacky. The last are casual sport sandals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mom says said:

I don't see your point. Only one of those pictured are flip flops. The amount of bling,  or lack rpthereof has nothing to do with it. And personally,  I wouldn't wear any of them. Most are gaudy/tacky. The last are casual sport sandals.

By your definition they are all flip flops except for the last pair, because they have the strap between the first two toes, and the last pair are sandals and not flip flops yet you wouldn't wear them in the dining room.

 

None of them are my style either but that wasn't really my point....it isn't about taste, it is about level of formality.  When the dress codes are talking about flip flops they mean those foam and plastic things you wear pool side or in the shower, not shoes made of leather, silk, bling or other materials which just happen to have a strap between the first two toes.  If material were immaterial as you say, the sandals on the bottom would be perfectly appropriate because they do not have that strap.

 

It is like tank tops... they are talking about those ribbed or sporty type tanks you wear to work out or go for a run, not a fancy top with spaghetti straps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, amyr said:

Those look like Vionics to me, and they are a legit orthopedic shoe.  They're not cheap, but if you've ever had plantar fasciitis or you'd know they're worth every penny, and you'd have at least five pairs in your closet.  Lifesavers they are. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

You're absolutely right! They are Vionics and were more expensive than my fancy heals that I'll wear with my gown and they are worth every penny!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

By your definition they are all flip flops except for the last pair, because they have the strap between the first two toes, and the last pair are sandals and not flip flops yet you wouldn't wear them in the dining room.

 

None of them are my style either but that wasn't really my point....it isn't about taste, it is about level of formality.  When the dress codes are talking about flip flops they mean those foam and plastic things you wear pool side or in the shower, not shoes made of leather, silk, bling or other materials which just happen to have a strap between the first two toes.  If material were immaterial as you say, the sandals on the bottom would be perfectly appropriate because they do not have that strap.

 

It is like tank tops... they are talking about those ribbed or sporty type tanks you wear to work out or go for a run, not a fancy top with spaghetti straps.

Sorry, but you are still incorrect. Only the first picture are flip flops. All of the others are secured to the foot by straps over the top of the foot and/ or behind the heel, and have a flat heel so they're sandals.. The thong between the toes on the middle 3 photos is incidental.

 

You can slap any amount of lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig. You can make flip-flops out of any material and glue on any amount of gaudy extras, and pay exorbitantly for a brand name - they're still flip flops.  That is simply the name for that particular style of footwear.  Just as a wedge, or a sandal, or an Oxford are names for other types of  shoes that each may be constructed of different materials.

 

As for your tank top comment- there's  a difference between a tank top and a camisole, which is what you are describing.

 

The dress code says no flip flops. Your choice whether to wear elaborate ones and probably slide under the dress code. Or wear a flat sandal and be within the code requirement.

 

Edited by mom says

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vjmatty said:

Ah but the material is material.  Here is the problem with that logic....which of these would you rather see in the dining room?

shoes_if72815.jpg

428670_100_ss_01.jpeg

51F4hqbt13L._UY500_.jpg

nine-west-silver-metallic-seahorse-product-2-6400536-618995440.jpeg

71pw39H6TZL._UY395_.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...