Port of San Diego

Nymich

22 minutes ago, MoyCoy said:

Thank you. I will check out Great Western.

Boy , that might be why I am seeing crazy prices. So are these boats shown in the marina,  bayside area? If we wanted to actually be able to walk to this event. Which hotel would be recommended,  other than embassy suites. 

Be advised that Parade of Lights is on Sunday night 12/15 (and also 12/8). Hopefully you are in town to see it.

The boats sail all along the bay front. It's obviously a free event and the entire waterfront is pack with people viewing the spectacle. Any downtown or Harbor Island (airport) hotel is within walking distance.

EDIT: BTW I just looked up the Convention Center calendar and there is a private convention and trade show for veterinarians booked from 12-13 to 12-16. That is probably driving up the prices at all the downtown hotels.

SDPOL-Map-with-Light-Frame-V2.png

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

Thanks to everyone who has helped us.  That's why that one guy posting earlier to search the boards offered no help at all!   It is a very lazy way to respond and they should just stay out of it if that is all the advice they have.

We are getting some excellent info to help us prepare for our trips.  If people post on cruise critic only to hear "search the boards" you will have no cruise critic!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MoyCoy said:

Thank you so much for the map. Very helpful.  Where on your map is the San Diego port. Is it near seaport village ? Or near the Marina?

The Cruise Ship Terminal is just north of the USS Midway.

Looks like the parade sails right around it.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/USS+Midway+Museum/@32.7170899,-117.178846,1875m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xfbb78930404553b2!8m2!3d32.7137398!4d-117.1751265

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Be advised that Parade of Lights is on Sunday night 12/15 (and also 12/8). Hopefully you are in town to see it.

The boats sail all along the bay front. It's obviously a free event and the entire waterfront is pack with people viewing the spectacle. Any downtown or Harbor Island (airport) hotel is within walking distance.

EDIT: BTW I just looked up the Convention Center calendar and there is a private convention and trade show for veterinarians booked from 12-13 to 12-16. That is probably driving up the prices at all the downtown hotels.

SDPOL-Map-with-Light-Frame-V2.png

Where is the airport on this map?

I booked Best Western Plus that was previously recommended for $139 a night.  They have a free airport shuttle and free cruise port shuttle.  They are 4 blocks from the port.  Free Breakfast, Free Wifi.  Really  good reviews on Trip advisor. Won a AAA reward for cleanliness.

.And they are walking distance  to Sea village and to Little  Italy .  I would have never booked this if it were not for the awesome CC advice.  Thank You everyone soooo much!!

BTW to get that price , you will need to sign up for their loyalty program. Really quick and easy to do.  Or use a AAA card.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MoyCoy said:

Boy , that might be why I am seeing crazy prices. So are these boats shown in the marina,  bayside area? If we wanted to actually be able to walk to this event. Which hotel would be recommended,  other than embassy suites. 

Wait, you are going in Dec 2020, not 2019? I guess I wasn't paying attention. You are seeing crazy prices because you are seeing rack rates this far out. The SD Bay Parade of Lights would never take up hotel room space enough to drive up rates.

I would think by March of 2020 you'd be seeing more realistic rates.

There's only one ES close and it's the Downtown.  It's not even close to one block from the convention center but much further.  We aren't party people but love the Gaslamp area for the much better choice of places to eat.  It's still close to the waterfront just a short walk over to Seaport Village.  The Hilton Bayside is still what I would consider part of Gaslamp just across the street and still way south of the convention center.  I agree the Hilton on Front Street would be fine for one night, but I wouldn't stay there more than that.  When we go to SD we go for vacation and like places we can walk to and enjoy within a short distance.  That Hilton isn't one of those.  Personally, anything within one block either side of Harbor would be fine.  

Coronado is a great place to stay if you want to be across the bay.  My mom use to live on Coronado and we visited often.  The El Cordova is very unique and can be reasonable.  The Del can be very unique and not very reasonable.  We have also stayed at the BW on Orange.  It's nice but not close to much of anything.    

14 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

I would think by March of 2020 you'd be seeing more realistic rates.

Ironically I am looking at March of 2020 and that Best Western he saw for $139 is $265.  Maybe I need to wait a few months.  I really want something down by the port with Airport Transportation.  

3 hours ago, Nymich said:

Is it possible to make a departure on American at 1030 if ship is due to arrive at 7am and is on time?   It looks pretty close as has been outlined here.  What do you think?

I am responding to my own post in hopes one of the San Diego experts will let me know what you think.

2 minutes ago, Nymich said:

Ironically I am looking at March of 2020 and that Best Western he saw for $139 is $265.  Maybe I need to wait a few months.  I really want something down by the port with Airport Transportation.  

Yes, I am way confused 🙂

There are two different "threads" in this topic with similar questions.

For someone looking to book a hotel in Dec of 2020, I think it is too far out to get good rates. December is a dead business travel month so I'd expect the convention hotels to be reasonable in mid December. In late December they could be fuller because of the Holiday Bowl, depending on who the teams wind up being.

3 minutes ago, Nymich said:

I am responding to my own post in hopes one of the San Diego experts will let me know what you think.

SAN is a pretty small airport and the airport is less than two miles from the cruise port, so I'd THINK you'd be okay, but I wouldn't book before noon the way I travel usually. Now if your choice is 10:30AM or 4PM, I'd probably risk it. If there was a 1PM, I'd book that and have a nice breakfast on board before disembarking.

5 minutes ago, Nymich said:

Airport transportation the times we have flown in is really lacking.  Since UBER and Taxi from airport to Gaslamp has been less than $15 it's never been a factor on where we stay.  Plus, I hate waiting for hotel shuttles.  Since I'm Hilton brand loyal and they are so easy to book and cancel I book months in advance, cancel when the price goes down, rebook, or just cancel if it's not what I want when the time gets close.  I booked for this last July 4th at the Hilton Bayside last August 1st, canceled twice, rebooked when price went down, and finally canceled altogether when we decided not to go.  We have a San Francisco trip scheduled in October and I have canceled and rebooked twice so far when the price went down (saved $150 per night).  

14 minutes ago, Nymich said:

Not sure I would chance a 10:30 AM.  As pointed out SAN is small and security can be long and slow.  TSA pre-check will help.  Also, are you the only ship coming in?  If it's more than one ship than no way.  Some might depend on your airlines as the newer terminal or some of the other concourses seem to move faster than the Southwest concourses.  

I usually tried for after 1:00 PM  flights.  

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

Yes, I am way confused 🙂

There are two different "threads" in this topic with similar questions.

For someone looking to book a hotel in Dec of 2020, I think it is too far out to get good rates. December is a dead business travel month so I'd expect the convention hotels to be reasonable in mid December. In late December they could be fuller because of the Holiday Bowl, depending on who the teams wind up being.

There is a couple of us asking questions.  My situation is for March 2020 so I am on the hunt for two nights in SD.

1 hour ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Not sure I would chance a 10:30 AM.  As pointed out SAN is small and security can be long and slow.  TSA pre-check will help.  Also, are you the only ship coming in?  If it's more than one ship than no way.  Some might depend on your airlines as the newer terminal or some of the other concourses seem to move faster than the Southwest concourses.  

I usually tried for after 1:00 PM  flights.  

Not sure how many ships but that's good advice I will check into that.  It is a Saturday arrival so I highly doubt it is the only one.

12 hours ago, Nymich said:

There is a couple of us asking questions.  My situation is for March 2020 so I am on the hunt for two nights in SD.

March 2020 with 2 nights you can look anyplace really. There is no need to be by the port.

What would you like to spend per night?

150-250 but I still would prefer to be by the port so it is less hassle the day of.

Going to fly in Thursday night and ship leaves sat   I am open to any ideas though

Edited by Nymich

Thanks everyone for all your help.  I completed it all booked flight and landed Wyndham Bayside for $160 per night.

I suppose I could have waited a bit and shopped some more but it's one of those bucket list type cruises and I honestly wanted the travel arrangements over so we can start planning the cruise!   I also think the flight and the hotel were very fair prices considering.   Thanks again scott and atseam you two were awesome!

Edited by Nymich

2 hours ago, Nymich said:

150-250 but I still would prefer to be by the port so it is less hassle the day of. Going to fly in Thursday night and ship leaves sat   I am open to any ideas though

If you don't need fancy, look at La Pensione in Little Italy.

But in truth, Coronado, Old Town and Mission Valley would be just as easy and convenient.