Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
Yaya999

How many days pre- or post cruise in Amsterdam

Looking into either AmaWaterways or Uniworld river cruise. Want to spend extra time in Amsterdam. Suggestions on how many days are sufficient?  

Depends on what you wish to see.  If you want to see museums etc, figure out which ones, and plan 1/2 day per museum to give you lots of time to enjoy.  You can get a good walk around just to look around town in one day (ok, 6 hours including lunch, at least that's what it took us).  If you wish to go to the flower auction, figure a morning.  

I would suggest researching just what you wish to see, and planning time for that.  We had 3 days - 1 to wander, 1 to see Zuiderzee, and one for Keukenhof and boarding....and then a day planned by our cruise which was a canal tour & another walking tour.  I can go back no problem 🙂

After you decide what you want to see in Amsterdam, check the river cruise lines' detailed itineraries to see which of those things they will already be providing.  Then you can work out a schedule that incorporates the remaining items on your list.  Remember that a few things (e.g. Anne Frank & Van Gogh) require booking in advance for a timed entry.  Rijksmuseum is easier with pre-booking but it doesn't require specified day or time.

Also keep in mind that – best case, you will be somewhat befogged by jet lag – and worst case, your flight may be delayed.  Thus if your schedule is packed, you may not be able to accomplish it all.  But Amsterdam is so central to many river cruise itineraries, and is also a port stop on many ocean cruise itineraries, that you will probably be back to fill in the blanks! 

Hey, I suggest not less than 3 days. There is so much to do. All the museums mentioned above, Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh, Anne Frank etc... a boat trip through the Grachten (canals) is a must, check out all the fantastic cheese types of young, medium and very old Gouda (yum!) - get high only from smelling the joints all around you (hehe) - and walk tthrough the tiny alleys, allow yourself enough time to sit and watch people. Depending on the season, Amsterdam can be veeery crowded, not to say "overcrowded". It is the very first metropolitan reagion in Europe that has stopped City Marketing because of overtourism. The city is extremely popular among young people, due to cheap drinks, lots of bars, laid back lifestyle of the Dutch and - the free sale of grass.

Being jetlagged, perhaps you'll manage to be out and about during early mornings... that could be the ideal time to experience the real Amsterdam. People going to work, shops opening, locals having their coffee and croissants and all the tourists take off from their hotel buffets after 10 a.m.

On 8/23/2019 at 12:33 PM, Yaya999 said:

Looking into either AmaWaterways or Uniworld river cruise. Want to spend extra time in Amsterdam. Suggestions on how many days are sufficient?  

At least 3

Other posters have excellent suggestions.  I know that two days pre-cruise simply wasn't enough.  Jet lag must be considered if it's a pre-cruise stay in the city.  One of my best memories of Amsterdam is getting up just after sunrise, then taking a leisurely 2-hour walk to the city center and back with my camera... very safe, few people are out, shadows are excellent for nice photos and the temperature (for me in June) was just right.  Enjoy that wonderful city 😊

Not sure what time of year you are planning to go but if it is in Spring I’d suggest a day for Keukenhoff and the tulip fields. There are lots of tours you can book from Amsterdam. The flower auction at Aalsmeer is also quite impressive. There is a full day trip to the Zuiderzee via train with a great ferry ride and return on an old steam train that is a great trip. A day in Haarlem is also quite interesting. In fact Haarlem is a great place to stay. An easy short train ride in to Amsterdam but away from all the big city bustle and confusion.