Cruise Critic Community
juliet

Stolen wheelchair

Have read that some people have problems in the dining rooms of ships having their wheelchairs stolen.  What do you do in that case?  

Posted (edited)

Not sure which cruise line you are referring to, but we saw an actual fight between two (ahem) older men, on an upscale premium cruiseline, with 750 passenger onboard!!!   Man #1 accused Man #2 of “stealing” his chair.   Man #2 said it looked just like his, and so he “took it”.  Sigh...it ended up in blows, with ships’ crew breaking it up.   Turns out, that both rented from the same company, so they were identical!!!!    The extra one, turned up in a hallway, I am sure someone else moved it out of the way.  We have also seen the crew trying to take the wrong one to a good friend of ours one night.  They looked somewhat alike, and they store them in a hallway, so like a”black” suitcase, they look alike.  Moral  of story, put an identifier on your chair...room number on label wrapped around handle, yarn, etc.   Never heard of one actually stolen however...I think it’s more of a mistaken identity...labeling your chair should cover most bases IMHO.  If you are afraid of it being misplaced or commandeered.. stay in it at the table. Or fold it up and place it next to you.  

Edited by Cruseforme

4 minutes ago, Cruseforme said:

Not sure which cruise line you are referring to, but we saw an actual fight between two (ahem) older men, on an upscale premium cruiseline, with 750 passenger onboard!!!   Man #1 accused Man #2 of “stealing” his chair.   Man #2 said it looked just like his, and so he “took it”.  Sigh...it ended up in blows, with ships’ crew breaking it up.   Turns out, that both rented from the same company, so they were identical!!!!    The extra one, turned up in a hallway, I am sure someone else moved it out of the way.  We have also seen the crew trying to take the wrong one to a good friend of ours one night.  They looked somewhat alike, and they store them in a hallway, so like a”black” suitcase, they look alike.  Moral  of story, put an identifier on your chair...room number on label wrapped around handle, yarn, etc.   Never heard of one actually stolen however...I think it’s more of a mistaken identity...labeling your chair should cover most bases IMHO.  If you are afraid of it being misplaced or commandeered.. stay in it at the table. Or fold it up and place it next to you.  

Yes, have heard all sorts of stories.  This will be our first time on a cruise with a wheelchair and concerned.  We had a walker stolen at a restaurant one night.  It was a fairly new, sturdy one and the one left was an old rickety one that we couldn't use.  Went out the next day and bought a new one.  Have ID on the wheelchair and will put some other things on to identify it or will have it put next to us folded as you suggested.  Thanks.

9 minutes ago, juliet said:

Yes, have heard all sorts of stories.  This will be our first time on a cruise with a wheelchair and concerned.  We had a walker stolen at a restaurant one night.  It was a fairly new, sturdy one and the one left was an old rickety one that we couldn't use.  Went out the next day and bought a new one.  Have ID on the wheelchair and will put some other things on to identify it or will have it put next to us folded as you suggested.  Thanks.

I was going to suggest something "noticeable", similar to how people "flag" luggage, but maybe not quite so garish... just enough to catch someone's attention, and then plus a "luggage tag" or something with some identifier.

We use "wrap-around" day glow rubbery thingies that velcro on to the handle of luggage.  Not only are they visually noticeable, but they FEEL different.  A few of those along any handle of a wheelchair should avoid most mistakes, and I'd assume that ON a ship, most problems are indeed mistakes.  (On shore, maybe not so much... are there locks, like bicycle locks?)

GC

If your own property, whether wheelchair, walker, etc, you can engrave your name and phone number or email address on it.  My police department offers this service.

The same thing can happen after meals in the main dining rooms, or after a show in the theater. 

When renting a scooter, just know that yours is going to look exactly like many others aboard, so yes, bring something along to help you find yours. Last October, I wired a 2dimentional  👻  deco onto the front of my basket; a friend on the same sailing had a  🎃. We got many smiles and “I love your _______” comments wherever we went! 😁