Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Davis2010

First Time Alaska Cruise Cabin Help

Recommended Posts

Hi! My husband and I have been on multiple cruises, but always to the Caribbean. We have not had a "couples" vacation since our Honeymoon almost 10 years ago. We are STOKED to finally take a trip and to go to an amazing destination! But we are completely clueless about this. So here are my questions:

 

1. Guaranteed Rooms ($150 cheaper, but non-refundable) vs Booking Your Room ($150 more, but refundable)

     a. If Book Your Room, is there are "better side" of the boat to book a room on?

 

2. Inside, Ocean View, or Balcony?

 

3. Book both cruise & flights Now or Later? 

 

4. Any tips? Tricks? Advice? MUST-go places? Best excursions? Clothing? etc.

 

Thank you in advance!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not enough information.  When are you looking to go?  Round trip Seattle or Vancouver or SFO, or one way Vancouver to Alaska or Alaska to Vancouver?  Itinerary?  Cruise Line?  Itinerary makes a difference as to side of ship.  EM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Not enough information.  When are you looking to go?  Round trip Seattle or Vancouver or SFO, or one way Vancouver to Alaska or Alaska to Vancouver?  Itinerary?  Cruise Line?  Itinerary makes a difference as to side of ship.  EM

We are looking at May 2020.

Round trip Seattle.

I would love advice on itinerary.

I'm open to all cruise lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My advice is to choose a ship that goes to Glacier Bay, as early in the season you are not likely to get very close to a glacier on any other itinerary.  Other than that, your budget should dictate cabin type.  It will likely be too cool to spend much time on a balcony, and an itinerary from Seattle sails to the west side of Vancouver Island so scenery will be lacking during that time.  When you get to the northern inside passage there will be scenery all around so you will want to be up on deck to walk about.  For more info, visit the Ports of Call board here for Alaska.  EM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry...round trip out of Seattle spends too much time getting to/from Alaska. Can you at all consider a northbound cruise out of Vancouver ending up in Seward ? Sailing to Alaska I personally (4 cruises) feel is a much better option.

 

May is our favorite time to sail on RCI Radiance. Also we prefer a balcony and you might be surprised at the plus of having that quiet personal space as an option with the beautiful scenery.

 

Best of luck and enjoy whatever works out best for you.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ashland we have looked into all departure port options, but they are well outside our budget. We are flying from Florida so our flights are a huge cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Davis2010 said:

@Ashland we have looked into all departure port options, but they are well outside our budget. We are flying from Florida so our flights are a huge cost.

Got it... I understand. 

As I said though...enjoy whatever works out best for you !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2019 at 1:26 PM, Davis2010 said:

Hi! My husband and I have been on multiple cruises, but always to the Caribbean. We have not had a "couples" vacation since our Honeymoon almost 10 years ago. We are STOKED to finally take a trip and to go to an amazing destination! But we are completely clueless about this. So here are my questions:

 

1. Guaranteed Rooms ($150 cheaper, but non-refundable) vs Booking Your Room ($150 more, but refundable)

     a. If Book Your Room, is there are "better side" of the boat to book a room on?

 

2. Inside, Ocean View, or Balcony?

 

3. Book both cruise & flights Now or Later? 

 

4. Any tips? Tricks? Advice? MUST-go places? Best excursions? Clothing? etc.

 

Thank you in advance!!!

1: Choose your own room, for all of the reasons. The cruiselines have re-categorized their cabins so they can say they are giving you a "better" cabin while it actually has major deficits! (a) There really isn't a better side; you are primarily either out to sea or surrounded by scenery, and for glacier viewing the captain will turn the ship 360degrees.

2: What line and/or ship? We have sailed in and to Alaska in insides and partially obscured oceanviews all on HAL. the partially obscured OVs on the Lower Promenade (the deck with the actual promenade) are a best-value in our estimate! Steps from the biggest balcony on the ship!

3: Book the cruise with a refundable deposit and you can re-fare up to Final Payment Date if the fare goes down or there is a promotion of greater value to you. You will need to check for those yourself... unless you have a very good service travel agent.

4: Ketchikan: Totem Bight or Saxman Totem Park, shop on Creek Street, eat at The Alaskan Fish House.

Juneau: Whale watching or whale watching + Mendenhall Glacier.

Skagway: One of the railroad excursions. Have done up-and-back and up by train down by bus and prefer the latter (two different sets of views and the bus will stop at a couple photo ops).

 

If you are taking a cruise that stops at other ports, please supply them.

 

here is a link for a 'what to pack' article:

https://juneaushoretours.com/what-to-pack-for-your-alaska-cruise/

There are other links in the sidebar and at the bottom!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

1: Choose your own room, for all of the reasons. The cruiselines have re-categorized their cabins so they can say they are giving you a "better" cabin while it actually has major deficits! (a) There really isn't a better side; you are primarily either out to sea or surrounded by scenery, and for glacier viewing the captain will turn the ship 360degrees.

2: What line and/or ship? We have sailed in and to Alaska in insides and partially obscured oceanviews all on HAL. the partially obscured OVs on the Lower Promenade (the deck with the actual promenade) are a best-value in our estimate! Steps from the biggest balcony on the ship!

3: Book the cruise with a refundable deposit and you can re-fare up to Final Payment Date if the fare goes down or there is a promotion of greater value to you. You will need to check for those yourself... unless you have a very good service travel agent.

4: Ketchikan: Totem Bight or Saxman Totem Park, shop on Creek Street, eat at The Alaskan Fish House.

Juneau: Whale watching or whale watching + Mendenhall Glacier.

Skagway: One of the railroad excursions. Have done up-and-back and up by train down by bus and prefer the latter (two different sets of views and the bus will stop at a couple photo ops).

 

If you are taking a cruise that stops at other ports, please supply them.

 

here is a link for a 'what to pack' article:

https://juneaushoretours.com/what-to-pack-for-your-alaska-cruise/

There are other links in the sidebar and at the bottom!

When booking with RCI you can do a non-refundable or refundable deposit and "still" get price adjustments up until final payment "date".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2019 at 1:26 PM, Davis2010 said:

2. Inside, Ocean View, or Balcony?

 

I have to say Ocean View - all of the views, none of the cold
 

 

 

Edited by CoW mAn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you book your cabin, have the deck plans in front of you, so you know what you're paying for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pick your room. Get balcony facing shore. We saw bear among other creatures. DO a CRUISETOUR. If you don’t see the interior you haven’t seen Alaska!! Vancouver to north. Go a day early and do a city tour of the city. Denali is awesome. Bool flights out of Alaska early as they fill up. Go to Icey Point Straight. Whales were 50 feet from ship when docked here. Natives don’t allow many ships in and do the zip line. We were there 5/24 to 6/1. Flew to Cold Foot and arctic circle as excursion. Long sleeved T-shirt and light weight jacket were good as temps were in 60s. No black flies were out yet. Take binoculars. You’ll see alot from your balcony. Not too cold to sit outside. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...