Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
NotTooCritical

Sugar Straw Question

Recommended Posts

Hello. Does anyone have any pictures of the new straws Carnival is using? If so, will you please post them? I'm curious as to how they look. I googled "sugar straws" but there are many different kinds. Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just looked through my pics and could not find one..... from my point of view they stink...in a big way, get slimy and make it real hard to use unless you drink the drink in two minutes.....  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here you go.  I agree that they are horrible.  If you leave your drink too long, the straw does not work so well as it begins to “cave in”

when drinking from it.  

E740B665-4A26-4737-A768-526CE794CD2C.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I just looked through my pics and could not find one..... from my point of view they stink...in a big way, get slimy and make it real hard to use unless you drink the drink in two minutes.....  

 

Jimbo, I think the sugar straws  are going to be the next cutback coming to a ship near you. Was just off the Valor and they were few and far between. Are they just saying screw it and stopping their plastic reduction initiative or only where it saves them money? I think it may be a sore spot because my friends in management never shoot straight with me about the plastic issue, likely because I'm usually being very critical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, PrincessPatti said:

Here you go.  I agree that they are horrible.  If you leave your drink too long, the straw does not work so well as it begins to “cave in”

when drinking from it.  

E740B665-4A26-4737-A768-526CE794CD2C.jpeg

 

Thanks! I got distracted by the drink itself. 😄 That looks sooo good (especially while sitting here at work). It doesn't look like what I was envisioning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@NotTooCriticalAh, yes, this is a kiss on the lips and is one of my favorites!!!!  Will be having one of her soon aboard the Magic.

 

Also didn’t notice a difference in taste at all either pre or post meltdown.  I do have to say that they are quite tasty!  One have way, so I decided to eat it instead!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My DH is type 1 diabetic.  A sugar straw is probably not a good idea.  Is plastic still available or do we need to invest in a re-usable straw?  We will be on an 11/4 cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barry ATL said:

My DH is type 1 diabetic.  A sugar straw is probably not a good idea.  Is plastic still available or do we need to invest in a re-usable straw?  We will be on an 11/4 cruise.

 

 

What about all the sugar in the fruity drinks? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, FTLCruiseGal said:

You can ask for plastic.  However, I have opted to purchase reusable.

True, you can ask for plastic and get one.... at least for now. By default you will get a sugar straw which, per our experience and that of others above, get slimy and sticky pretty quick and begin to collapse within 20 minutes.

ETA: we too brought along stainless metal reusable straws and used them when it became obvious the sugar straws were inadequate.

Edited by joepeka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was on the Paradise last month and was never offered a sugar straw.  I was given plastic straws without asking.  As a matter of fact, I use a Tervis with a reusable straw and typically poor my drink in the Tervis so I would have to actually tell the bartenders not to give me a straw.  

 

I did purchase reusable straws from amazon - I think 25 or 30 were less than $10 - and gave those to a few family members that were traveling with us in case the Paradise didn't offer plastic straws.  I'm not even sure if they ever used them.  

 

Not sure if it was just a non-issue on the Paradise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FTLCruiseGal said:

You can ask for plastic.  However, I have opted to purchase reusable.

Same here. They are not expensive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NotTooCritical said:

 

Thanks! I got distracted by the drink itself. 😄 That looks sooo good (especially while sitting here at work). It doesn't look like what I was envisioning.

 

I was on Victory two weeks ago and only got plastic straws when drinking sangria swirls. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, joepeka said:

True, you can ask for plastic and get one.... at least for now. By default you will get a sugar straw which, per our experience and that of others above, get slimy and sticky pretty quick and begin to collapse within 20 minutes.

ETA: we too brought along stainless metal reusable straws and used them when it became obvious the sugar straws were inadequate.

 

 

On the Valor, they didn't even have sugar straws at the casino bar, red frog outdoor, atrium bar, MDR or piano bar. I did see them at Red Frog indoor and Blue iguana outdoor in limited quantities. I didn't get a drink at the bar in the comedy club or show lounge so I can't speak about those areas definitively, I didn't see the servers with them though. I also didn't get a drink at the nightclub or see the bar there so they may have had them.  

 

Will be on the Pride this weekend and will be watching closely, it looks like the sugar straws are going to be the next cutback though...good riddance! 

Edited by lottiegreen56

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lottiegreen56 said:

 

Jimbo, I think the sugar straws  are going to be the next cutback coming to a ship near you. Was just off the Valor and they were few and far between. Are they just saying screw it and stopping their plastic reduction initiative or only where it saves them money? I think it may be a sore spot because my friends in management never shoot straight with me about the plastic issue, likely because I'm usually being very critical.

Have no idea...but either way they suck...pun intended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a package of paper straw for my cruise on the Pride next month.

 

Karen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it just me, or do you find it ironic to be drinking with a sugar/paper straw out of a plastic cup? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

Is it just me, or do you find it ironic to be drinking with a sugar/paper straw out of a plastic cup? 

Not so much what they are made of....more of whether they are reusable (cups)....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live in a community that has banned plastic strawsa for about two years.  Paper is not much better.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Not so much what they are made of....more of whether they are reusable (cups)....

They're definitely reusable; they're normal glasses.  In fact, I remember a quirk with Corona beers.  If you were drinking Corona straight, they'd serve it to you in its original bottle.  But if you wanted to add a lime to it, they made you pour it into a glass.  That's because they recycle the glass bottles, and a piece of lime inside contaminates the whole recycle bin.

 

Doesn't bother me at all.  In fact, I prefer to drink my beers out of a glass, rather than a bottle.  Tastes better that way.  (Unless it's cheap stuff like Bud or Miller, which doesn't have much flavor to begin with.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I now bring my own straw everywhere. I started with the stainless ones, but I didn't like them clanking on my teeth, so I bought silicone ones. Love them! Bought one that folds into a little case and keep it in my purse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Purvis1231 said:

Do the sugar straws come wrapped in plastic? 

No.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...