Bad experience on the Breeze. Worried about lack of cleanliness

dulcemariamar

3 hours ago, AdGuyMG said:

Check out Princess.

Here's some nice pictures to whet your appetite:

www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/caribbean-princess-303/member-3/7498/

www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/caribbean-princess-303/member-3/15425/

Considering Princess is the Carnival up market line, it doesn't surprise me they have garbage maintenance all the same.  We just sailed Celebrity Reflection at the beginning of the year and the ship was obnoxiously well kept.  And on Magic I was rather shocked at how rusty and trashy the ship was.  Though I haven't sailed Princess and have no plans to, I will take your photos as proof enough. 

There is an undeniable difference in quality and maintenance between RCI and CCL brands.

5 hours ago, RRLLAL said:

There are people here that bash a carnival cruise that were never on that cruise. It’s been proven. Fact. 

And there are many here that have been cruising Carnival for decades that are simply lamenting the fact that their favorite cruising product is diminishing year by year in many ways. Trying to be objective about it and harassed by the "cheerleaders" who will follow Carnival into cruise line hell if no changes are made. I still haven't cancelled my upcoming cruise on the PANORAMA, but Tapi's comments makes me search other lines with more intensity. I've also cruised the BREEZE out of Galveston, but noticed nothing out of the ordinary, except what I would consider abnormal crowding at times and half-hazard bathroom cleaning.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, glrounds said:

And there are many here that have been cruising Carnival for decades that are simply lamenting the fact that their favorite cruising product is diminishing year by year in many ways. Trying to be objective about it and harassed by the "cheerleaders" who will follow Carnival into cruise line hell if no changes are made. I still haven't cancelled my upcoming cruise on the PANORAMA, but Tapi's comments makes me search other lines with more intensity. I've also cruised the BREEZE out of Galveston, but noticed nothing out of the ordinary, except what I would consider abnormal crowding at times and half-hazard bathroom cleaning.

Yea, that’s it. LOLOL. 

20 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Considering Princess is the Carnival up market line, it doesn't surprise me they have garbage maintenance all the same.  We just sailed Celebrity Reflection at the beginning of the year and the ship was obnoxiously well kept.  And on Magic I was rather shocked at how rusty and trashy the ship was.  Though I haven't sailed Princess and have no plans to, I will take your photos as proof enough. 

There is an undeniable difference in quality and maintenance between RCI and CCL brands.

No there’s not much difference. Except in which line has a norovirus problem more often. 

We were on the August 10 sailing of the Breeze. The dining experience was sub par as concerns service.  We  were a group of 23 split between tables. Our server had no assistant. We would get our soup and salad together. By the time the sour cream was offered, the potato was finished. It would take forever for our order to be taken and then they rushed us through our meal. I prefer breakfast in the main dining room. We were a table of 6 and it took one hour for the food to arrive after the order was placed. The next day it was 45 minutes so we gave up and ate in the buffet. The staffing issue is clearly a problem. The shows in the theater were awful, with one act never making it on the ship. Very few activities during the day. But, the Steakhouse was amazing and they had no trouble serving a group of 23.  The cruise director was fantastic. We cruised Carnival with a large group 3 years ago and had none of these issues. They clearly cut staff. Personally, I prefer Princess where the service is always impeccable. But for ages 5-73, the family felt that Carnival was the better choice. 

PS. I never got the survey in my email.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RRLLAL said:

No there’s not much difference. Except in which line has a norovirus problem more often. 

Disagree.  Carnival ships are rust buckets.  This is not normal.  Heck, here is some photos to prove it.

The stunning view from our balcony on Magic a couple months ago:

20190622-133543.jpg

20190628-155235.jpg

Public decks near waterworks.  The beautiful look of total lack of maintenance.  Chipping paint, rust, etc.:

20190626-115201.jpg

For fun, here is what our room looked like after our first service on the cruise.  And no, we didn't jump in the bed prior to taking the picture.  It was so ridiculous we felt the need to snap a picture.  This is Carnival quality!:

20190622-195604-HDR.jpg

And you would think Carnival has some self respect.  They would want to make sure their ships look presentable.  Pull up next to other lines in port and show off!  Lol.  Anyone who has sailed on other lines knows this view, when the rust bucket Carnival ships pull up next to you.  You can't help but feel embarrassed for Carnival:

20190101-112208.jpg

Look, we had a decent cruise on Magic.  Would I jump at the opportunity to sail them again?  No.  But if the price is right (WAY cheaper than everyone else), then I'm willing to overlook their dumpy ships and lack of maintenance because they do put out a halfway decent product, again, if the price reflects that their decent product is still well below their competitors...

The truth is, we live in South Florida and my wife worked in logistics with Carnival for years and years.  The stories would be quite interesting to the Carnival fans here.  When she mentioned we were sailing Carnival to a VP, yes, a VP at Carnival... their answer was "Why the heck would you do that?".... This runs all the way up the chain.  They are well aware of the product they are offering and even the management at Carnival doesn't believe in it.  The VP is a big fan of Celebrity, for what it's worth, then the Royal mega ships.

Edited by BNBR
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Disagree.  Carnival ships are rust buckets.  This is not normal.  Heck, here is some photos to prove it.

The stunning view from our balcony on Magic a couple months ago:

20190622-133543.jpg

20190628-155235.jpg

Public decks near waterworks.  The beautiful look of total lack of maintenance.  Chipping paint, rust, etc.:

20190626-115201.jpg

For fun, here is what our room looked like after our first service on the cruise.  And no, we didn't jump in the bed prior to taking the picture.  It was so ridiculous we felt the need to snap a picture.  This is Carnival quality!:

20190622-195604-HDR.jpg

And you would think Carnival has some self respect.  They would want to make sure their ships look presentable.  Pull up next to other lines in port and show off!  Lol.  Anyone who has sailed on other lines knows this view, when the rust bucket Carnival ships pull up next to you.  You can't help but feel embarrassed for Carnival:

20190101-112208.jpg

Look, we had a decent cruise on Magic.  Would I jump at the opportunity to sail them again?  No.  But if the price is right (WAY cheaper than everyone else), then I'm willing to overlook their dumpy ships and lack of maintenance because they do put out a halfway decent product, again, if the price reflects that their decent product is still well below their competitors...

The truth is, we live in South Florida and my wife worked in logistics with Carnival for years and years.  The stories would be quite interesting to the Carnival fans here.  When she mentioned we were sailing Carnival to a VP, yes, a VP at Carnival... their answer was "Why the heck would you do that?".... This runs all the way up the chain.  They are well aware of the product they are offering and even the management at Carnival doesn't believe in it.  The VP is a big fan of Celebrity, for what it's worth, then the Royal mega ships.

You think carnival is the only line that cruises in salt water? You know salt water causes rust on any ship? You could do a simple search and find it noted on all lines. It’s a point in time before white paint is used to hide it for awhile.

heres an example. Royal complaining about a rust bucket. Don’t they have any pride?

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=657887

strange post. 

I always love these topics.  I make a point to read reviews after we come back from a cruise.  I always find some that make me question if we were on the same cruise.  I am not talking about subjective topics either, I am talking about black and white claims.

• Like 1

Joe817-  I am the same way as you...my stateroom is always clean and tidy, I fold dirty towels and place them somewhere neatly...I clean after myself when I leave a table....lets face it, most people are dirty, they go on vacation and have the I don't care attitude, but then again, I know alot of people who don't keep their houses clean, so they just messy people.  But it wold be nice if people can take seconds of their time to help the workers....just a little bit goes a long way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ray98 said:

I always love these topics.  I make a point to read reviews after we come back from a cruise.  I always find some that make me question if we were on the same cruise.  I am not talking about subjective topics either, I am talking about black and white claims.

I feel the same way.  I can go on a cruise and have a wonderful time, but get back and read bad reviews about the same cruise.  Maybe it's that my expectations aren't the same or that I am not bothered by the same things.  My cabin has always been cleaned very well on all of my cruises.  I try to avoid the crowds on the decks and am always able to find a nice place to lounge.  I guess I never really looked for the rust and dirt.  I know it's there, but it's just not on my mind when I cruise.

I think it's great that there are a wide variety of cruise lines and that if someone is unhappy with one line they can try another.  I've cruised on Disney, Royal, Norwegian, and Carnival.  I've never had a bad cruise.  The only ship that I probably won't sail on again is the Vista due to their theater.  Anyway, I do think when someone is unhappy about something, they are more likely to notice a lot of other negative things.  When someone is having a great time, they are more likely to focus on the positive things. 

I've read negative reviews on many of the ships that I have sailed and realize that one person's experience doesn't mean that I will have the same experience or that the same things will bother me.  I do appreciate reading reviews, good and bad, because it helps me have realistic expectations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RRLLAL said:

Give me a break with this cruise count crap. You’re arrogance is noted. I’m sure the number of cruises I’ve been on and two cruises in the last year is as many and probably more than most people. You act like everyone has gone on many more. You don’t even know what ship I just cruised on as you’ve misnamed it twice. 

How can you make a comment as you did and know what other passengers are experiencing today on carnival?  You sailed on the Pride on 3/11/18 and the Sunrise on 5/27/19 and she just came out of a dry dock so obviously she be all clean.  

By the way, yes, many people here do cruise alot and there are some that love to do B2B too.

11 hours ago, Joe817 said:

This has turned into a pissing contest to see who can out distance who. Bllacccchhhhh! Enough.

Totally agree.  I had a great time the 4 times I was on the Breeze, but others had a different experience - I'm good with that - I don't expect everyone to have the same experience I had.  I don't doubt what they say and understand their disappointment.

The posters who make me crazy are always the same people (you know who you are) that for some reason come on the Carnival board to rant and rave.  We get it - you think CCL is the worst cruise line in history - so, why do you keep coming to this board???  You no longer sail on CCL and want to warn everyone else off - don't you think that could better be accomplished on the boards of the lines you like?  

There are trolls everywhere - they know they aren't going to change anyone's mind on here - they just love to push people buttons.  I always assume that they have little else going on in their life - so I actually feel bad for them - I just kind of skip over their comments.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

How can you make a comment as you did and know what other passengers are experiencing today on carnival?  You sailed on the Pride on 3/11/18 and the Sunrise on 5/27/19 and she just came out of a dry dock so obviously she be all clean.  

By the way, yes, many people here do cruise alot and there are some that love to do B2B too.

Not impressed. 

12 minutes ago, sc4125 said:

Totally agree.  I had a great time the 4 times I was on the Breeze, but others had a different experience - I'm good with that - I don't expect everyone to have the same experience I had.  I don't doubt what they say and understand their disappointment.

The posters who make me crazy are always the same people (you know who you are) that for some reason come on the Carnival board to rant and rave.  We get it - you think CCL is the worst cruise line in history - so, why do you keep coming to this board???  You no longer sail on CCL and want to warn everyone else off - don't you think that could better be accomplished on the boards of the lines you like?  

There are trolls everywhere - they know they aren't going to change anyone's mind on here - they just love to push people buttons.  I always assume that they have little else going on in their life - so I actually feel bad for them - I just kind of skip over their comments.

Very well said. Anytime someone says something negative the cheerleaders from other lines come out of the woodwork. Go to the RCL or ncl boards and you rarely see a carnival poster acting like a troll. Says a lot about these people. 

SC4125-You could name me if you want, I say it as it is and I don't feel bad about it.  What do you think these boards are all about, communicating amongst ourselves with the good and bad that we experienced.  I have cruised on over 50 cruises on Carnival since the 1970's...I love the staff and find them very friendly, in fact, I have "friends" that work on these ships, but they do tell me about the cutbacks and the fact they do have to work harder to make us happy and they do try to do their best and always keep a smile on for us.  With this being said, I hate the fact what Carnival has become, I have seen so many "negative issues" on my past Carnival cruises, it makes me sad to see the direction they are turning to.  Just this year we cruised on the Elation and the Breeze, my 28 year old daughter and her bf age 38 cruised with us also as well as my 80 year old father in law and my other half (we both are 56) and every one of us do not want to cruise Carnival again after what we experienced on these last carnival cruises.  Its sad your talking about ages 28-80 and we all feel the very same way.  Yes, I am complaining about Carnival but trust me, I wish they get their act together and make themselves better than the direction they are going but it won't happen....its unfortunate, I would love to continue cruising on Carnival but they are going to have to make positive changes for us to come back.  

I keep coming to this board because I am an avid cruiser and I like to read reviews and learn about other cruise lines and cruise ships so I can take that to mind when I book up my next cruise.  I am on other boards also especially active on RC.

I travel ALOT and cruises is not the only means of travel I do.  I love these boards, love to listen to all the good and bad, travel and medical are my interests.  I love Cruise Critic, its a great place to read up on ships and cruise lines.  Do skip over my posts, we all have that privilege here.

11 hours ago, glrounds said:

You are getting a brand new ship on the west coast.   Should put the maintenance fears on back burner for awhile.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

SC4125-You could name me if you want, I say it as it is and I don't feel bad about it.  What do you think these boards are all about, communicating amongst ourselves with the good and bad that we experienced.  I have cruised on over 50 cruises on Carnival since the 1970's...I love the staff and find them very friendly, in fact, I have "friends" that work on these ships, but they do tell me about the cutbacks and the fact they do have to work harder to make us happy and they do try to do their best and always keep a smile on for us.  With this being said, I hate the fact what Carnival has become, I have seen so many "negative issues" on my past Carnival cruises, it makes me sad to see the direction they are turning to.  Just this year we cruised on the Elation and the Breeze, my 28 year old daughter and her bf age 38 cruised with us also as well as my 80 year old father in law and my other half (we both are 56) and every one of us do not want to cruise Carnival again after what we experienced on these last carnival cruises.  Its sad your talking about ages 28-80 and we all feel the very same way.  Yes, I am complaining about Carnival but trust me, I wish they get their act together and make themselves better than the direction they are going but it won't happen....its unfortunate, I would love to continue cruising on Carnival but they are going to have to make positive changes for us to come back.  

I keep coming to this board because I am an avid cruiser and I like to read reviews and learn about other cruise lines and cruise ships so I can take that to mind when I book up my next cruise.  I am on other boards also especially active on RC.

I travel ALOT and cruises is not the only means of travel I do.  I love these boards, love to listen to all the good and bad, travel and medical are my interests.  I love Cruise Critic, its a great place to read up on ships and cruise lines.  Do skip over my posts, we all have that privilege here.

Not to get into a pissing match with you Cruisegirl, but I could tell just by your posts prior to your cruise that you weren’t going to like your cruise. I like to cruise but I’d never want to have 100 under my belt or even close. I think the more you do the same thing over and over the more you nit pick things to death. Once a year cruise is enough for me. 

Having said that, I had no real problem with the Breeze. In fact I really liked her. I’m paying an average of $800 per person for balcony cabins on Carnival for 7 night cruises so I’m not expecting Crystal experiences. I’ve also been on RC and NCL and don’t think the experience is worth twice what I pay on Carnival and the same stuff you constantly complain about Carnival are applicable to RC and NCL. None of these lines are luxury lines and if you’re expecting that you’re going to be disappointed every time.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

Just this year we cruised on the Elation and the Breeze, my 28 year old daughter and her bf age 38 cruised with us also as well as my 80 year old father in law and my other half (we both are 56) and every one of us do not want to cruise Carnival again after what we experienced on these last carnival cruises.

I guess this is what confuses me.  You've been on over 50 CCL cruises, but you just said that you never want to cruise Carnival again.  So, why not just make one post expressing your displeasure and then move on to the boards of the cruise lines you will be traveling with. 

I am not a Cheerleader - I am someone who chooses to go into any experience with a positive attitude, but when I am disappointed with the product, I am also someone who chooses to move on.  I guess I just don't understand why those of you who seem to hate CCL feel it's your mission to have others on CCL boards "see the light."  I get that you may have had bad experiences - I'm not doubting that at all and you may have very valid reasons for how you feel about CCL, I just can't understand what your objective is - why waste your valuable time on this board?  I guess I just don't get it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sc4125 said:

I guess this is what confuses me.  You've been on over 50 CCL cruises, but you just said that you never want to cruise Carnival again.  So, why not just make one post expressing your displeasure and then move on to the boards of the cruise lines you will be traveling with. 

I am not a Cheerleader - I am someone who chooses to go into any experience with a positive attitude, but when I am disappointed with the product, I am also someone who chooses to move on.  I guess I just don't understand why those of you who seem to hate CCL feel it's your mission to have others on CCL boards "see the light."  I get that you may have had bad experiences - I'm not doubting that at all and you may have very valid reasons for how you feel about CCL, I just can't understand what your objective is - why waste your valuable time on this board?  I guess I just don't get it.

I agree.  If I chose to never cruise on Carnival again because it did not meet my expectations, I would never visit the Carnival section again.  I can understand posting in the Carnival sections to let other people know of my experience, but I can't see coming back time and again to the Carnival section just to beat the dead horse. Focusing on the negative over and over again seems sad.  I would post on the other cruise line sections and focus on positive experiences in the past or to come.

• Like 1

Jerseygirl1416-  In a way, your correct, I had a couple of friends that sailed on her just two months before we did, and they didn't give me great reviews, plus reading some on here before my cruise, but I kept an open mind, I said its a newer larger ship how bad can it be, but its not only I that saw things, every one of us that went did.

I don't consider myself doing the same thing over and over because I go to other cruise lines and different ships, its not that I cruise on Carnival or RC where all the ships pretty much look the same, on another note, we go to Aruba every March and July for two weeks plus we take other vacations, its not all the same we change our trips around.   My other half has a 24/7 job, nobody knows he has the internet on a cruise, as a result its a real vacation,  when we take land based trips I can't tell you how many hours and hours he is on the phone with work issues each day, fortunately this past July in Aruba he said he had no internet lol.

I had a nice time on the Breeze minus the "issues", but MY point is, its not worth even spending the money for the cruise even at a great price when you can spend nearly the same amount for something better and I am all for spending more if I have to for a better vacation experience.  We all are different and nobody is right or wrong as there are many things we have to consider, budget, work time off, travel time and cost to and from ship, etc.

I am not ready to sail the luxury lines just yet....those cruises are very long and my other half would have a problem going for so long plus those ships are too small for me and I assume too stuffy and I get bored I think.  We don't want to get dressed up each night, my other half dresses in suits for work each day, he wants a laid back relaxing vacation and that includes how he dressed, I don't blame him honestly, so it be after he retires in two years that I may consider giving it a try.

I do not have any of the issues on RC that I have and found on Carnival lately.  But you be sure if I get off a cruise and I have found issues,  I be on those boards also mentioning those things as I am here.  I just wished Carnival get its act better, but maybe it has to do with those hefty huge fines they had to pay, and I understand cutbacks are needed for the company to maintain itself.