Sailing out of San Juan Puerto Rico

nwcruisemamma

I am sailing out of San Juan, Puerto Rico on Celebrity Summit on January 14th.  I have a few questions as I have never sailed out of San Juan before:

1.  Itinerary states 8:30pm departure does it really leave that late and if so can we still board early (11am ish)?

2.  How do you find out which port this ship will sail out of as there are two ports?

Thanks!

Based on sailing on the Celebrity Summit from San Juan many times:

1. Yes, the departure is at 8:30 p.m. but you need to be on board much earlier.  I believe 7:00 p.m. is the absolute latest you can board.  If you board this late, then you will have to attend a muster drill make-up the next morning, I believe.  The mandatory muster drill is typically held around 5:00-5:30 p.m. as I recall.

2. We have always boarded around 11:30 a.m. and you may be able to board earlier.

3. Celebrity uses the Pan American Pier for departures from San Juan.  The Old San Juan pier is only used by Celebrity for day stops on cruises that departed from other ports.

2 hours ago, nwcruisemamma said:

I am sailing out of San Juan, Puerto Rico on Celebrity Summit on January 14th.  I have a few questions as I have never sailed out of San Juan before:

1.  Itinerary states 8:30pm departure does it really leave that late and if so can we still board early (11am ish)?

2.  How do you find out which port this ship will sail out of as there are two ports?

Thanks!

After retrieving your luggage at the air port exit the air port and there will be a line for taxis. Get in line and tell the taxi scheduler where you're going, how many people and the number of luggage. Taxis fares a by zone. Very reasonable. You will be handed a slip of paper with the fare. 

When returning from your cruise (man that went fast) you have to first go through agriculture screening at the air port where all your checked and carry on luggage will be screened. Then you can proceed to check in with your air line. 

Edited by davekathy

1 hour ago, Mirage said:

It is a great sail away when you leave San Juan. Forts are lit up as you pass by Old San Juan. 

As stated Starboard side as you exit the harbor is the City Side.

Mirage

We like sailing out of SJ because the itineraries offer more ports and less sea days. 

At sail away,  the best views are initially on the port side as the ship slowly backs out of the bay, providing port side passengers with wonderful panoramic views all along the city's waterfront.

Then when the ship  turns turned around and starts heading forward, switch to the starboard side as the fort will be on the right side as the ship exits the harbor.

It is well worth visiting the 2 forts on land, either before or after your cruise, or on the turnaround day if doing a B2B.

If you have a senior pass or National Park Service Pass, bring it along for free admission to the forts.

Edited by varoo

On 8/24/2019 at 7:56 PM, varoo said:

It is well worth visiting the 2 forts on land, either before or after your cruise, or on the turnaround day if doing a B2B.

If you have a senior pass or National Park Service Pass, bring it along for free admission to the forts.

Cool.  Great information.  I didn't realize and I do have a pass.  Thank you.