'Private Journey" shore excursion option

Redking

We used it once with a small group of us.  It was really well done and we could customize it to some extent to our interests. Equivalent to a small customized private excursion but more expensive.  But with Private Journey you do get the ship guarantee that they will not leave port without you unlike a private excursion.

• Thanks 1

We have taken one small group tour...20 vs 40 people....(we had too much non-refundable OBC)

We generally do private tours or with one other couple we meet in the roll call.....booked often through viator (same company as CC and trip advisor so I assume I can mention them)....prices are lower and we have always had excellent guides.  

The only time in all of our cruises that we ever came close to "missing the ship" time....yup, it was on a celebrity tour....belize visiting ruins.  We arrived just as the ship was supposed to leave....the other two busses arrived within 30-45 minutes..and the ship waited.  That was a 7 hour tour on an 8 hour port stop...very tight (obviously).

A friend on the same cruise did it. Was VERYexpensive to some waterfalls in either Brazil or Argentina it was overnight. She only thought it was okay. She is a seasoned traveller. I guess it depends on the tour. Wish I had more specifics for you.

Norma

Thank you everyone. Interesting that the ship 'guarantee' has come up as this is the only reason we were considering this option. We rarely book celebrity tours, but on this occasion we were concerned about using the indepedent tour option as we are concerned about not making it back on time due to time and traffic issues. The ships tour we wanted is sold out.

We are trying a Private Journey this October in Puerto Rico.

Main reason for us was that the ship arrives at 3:30 pm on a Sunday and our family of 4 with 2 teens wanted to go to Mass and get a tour fit in as well.

Also this will be the first cruise and first foreign country for our teens.

It is expensive but seems to solve the logistical problems and as another poster mentioned it also means that we are not left stranded because this is arranged by Celebrity.

Hoping for the best!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/24/2019 at 10:08 AM, ghstudio said:

We have taken one small group tour...20 vs 40 people....(we had too much non-refundable OBC)

You were able to use your OBC for your Private Journey?? So does that mean you waited to arrange your "journey" once you were on the boat since I don't believe you can use any of your OBC promotion before you're actually on the boat.

22 minutes ago, afick12 said:

You were able to use your OBC for your Private Journey?? So does that mean you waited to arrange your "journey" once you were on the boat since I don't believe you can use any of your OBC promotion before you're actually on the boat.

Any OBC that you get from Celebrity (as opposed to from a TA) is now usable before sailing for shore excursions or other purchases such as internet, dining, beverage package upgrades, photo packages, spa etc. Go into your Cruise Planner and see if you have any available and how much. You can call Captains Club or Cruise Enhancements to book. (Using the website is often problematic simply because the website is often dysfunctional.)

• Thanks 1