Cruise Critic Community
flamingos

TD #5 formed

Time to fill the tanks, clear the shelves of canned meat, bread, and bottled water and hunker down.

OK, maybe not all of that.  But this is a storm which could spin up to something fairly major given the trajectory.

9 minutes ago, ducklite said:

Time to fill the tanks, clear the shelves of canned meat, bread, and bottled water and hunker down.

OK, maybe not all of that.  But this is a storm which could spin up to something fairly major given the trajectory.

I've said for a long, long time that I'll take our occasional earthquake over the kind of weather you folks have.  Stay safe.

30 minutes ago, clo said:

I've said for a long, long time that I'll take our occasional earthquake over the kind of weather you folks have.  Stay safe.

Funny you should say that.  My daughter and I were just talking the other day that we would take a tornado  over having to worry about earthquakes and hurricanes.

Posted (edited)

And why does this seem to surprise some people on Cruise Critic each and every year?

Edited by EatonDoolittle

9 minutes ago, sprint180 said:

Funny you should say that.  My daughter and I were just talking the other day that we would take a tornado  over having to worry about earthquakes and hurricanes.

The '89 NorCal earthquake (I lived there then) "only" killed 67 people.  Any is too many but compared to some other natural disasters....  And you don't know it's coming so you really can't worry about.

15 minutes ago, sprint180 said:

Oh hell no!  With a hurricane you have advance notice for days if not over a week.  As long as you live in a well constructed home you're safe through a Cat 2.  You have the opportunity to leave if you need to.  There are shelters available.

Earthquakes happen without notice.  Same thing with tornadoes.  Those things give you less than a couple minutes notice and kill far more people than any other natural disaster.   (Katrina aside, but I blame the majority of deaths in that storm on incredibly poor planning by a number of governmental agencies from the local City Councils/Mayors all the way up to the White House.  Most of the people who were killed in Katrina had no place to go, no way to get there, and no one who gave a rats behind about them until it became a photo opp.  Disgusting.)

From the Texas Tech web site:

"1. Tornadoes • The United States averages about 1000 recorded tornadoes every year. (www.tornadoproject.com) • Annually tornadoes cause an average of 1,500 injuries (www.nssl.noaa.gov) • On average, 80 deaths each year are directly attributed to the 1000 tornadoes reported (www.nssl.noaa.gov)"

"3. Hurricanes • A total of ten tropical cyclones reaching storm strength with six of these becoming hurricanes and two of those actually striking the coast of the U.S. ( www.aoml.noaa.gov) • Injuries: i. hurricanes cause 60 injuries per year • Nationwide, hurricanes annually account for an average of 17 deaths (www.loep.state.la.us)"

In between is thunderstorms, and they kill an average of 70 people a year--some by actual lightning strikes and others due to flash floods.  I didn't want to cite more than I did under the Fair Use Doctrine.

And here in the uk we moan about a misty wet summers day. Like the world is about to end.

And now we have Tropical Storm Dorian.  I guess hurricane season is beginning to rev her engine.

I’ve lived in Florida a long time. Hurricanes are not that bad. I’d take one over a blizzard any day. You get plenty of warning to prepare. They are rarely as bad as the over exaggerating weathermen would have you believe. 

1 minute ago, kidless said:

I’ve lived in Florida a long time. Hurricanes are not that bad. I’d take one over a blizzard any day. You get plenty of warning to prepare. They are rarely as bad as the over exaggerating weathermen would have you believe. 

Not so sure about that.  Having spent over half of my life in Upstate NY, CT, and NJ, I've lived through plenty of blizzards.  I can count on one hand the times the power went out for more than a couple of hours.  Yeah, we had to get on the roof and shovel a few times so we didn't get ice damming, and we had to knock off the icicles so they didn't pull down the gutters (that was fun!) but overall it wasn't a big deal.  The few times we lost power for a few days we'd store food from the fridge on the screen porch to keep it cold, and we had a fireplace and gas oven/stove and gas hot water, so it really wasn't a big deal.

4 minutes ago, ducklite said:

Not so sure about that.  Having spent over half of my life in Upstate NY, CT, and NJ, I've lived through plenty of blizzards.  I can count on one hand the times the power went out for more than a couple of hours.  Yeah, we had to get on the roof and shovel a few times so we didn't get ice damming, and we had to knock off the icicles so they didn't pull down the gutters (that was fun!) but overall it wasn't a big deal.  The few times we lost power for a few days we'd store food from the fridge on the screen porch to keep it cold, and we had a fireplace and gas oven/stove and gas hot water, so it really wasn't a big deal.

Well I guess we can agree to disagree. I spent many years living in Maryland. We’d Lose power in blizzards. Snow bound in house for days till roads were cleared. We lived in North Carolina for few years (husband military) just an ice storm would knock out power and cripple town for a week! I’ve lived in both climates and I’ll take Florida any day. Most time storms veer off or weaken and usually over hyped by media! But.....jmho

10 hours ago, clo said:

I said that, too, before two earthquakes within two days last month in my town. I've never actually been sitting on top of the epicenter before during a major jolt.  QUITE the eye opener.

23 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

I said that, too, before two earthquakes within two days last month in my town. I've never actually been sitting on top of the epicenter before during a major jolt.  QUITE the eye opener.

And I keep thinking 'what if it had happened in downtown LA?'  I used to think they were kinda fun until '89.  I was right at Union Square when the windows blew out of a big department store.  Hope you're feeling okay.

Back to TD #5. It is now Dorian, but doesn't look like it has a great chance of being much more than a Cat 1. Conditions aren't good for it being a significant hurricane.

3 hours ago, ducklite said:

I survived the blizzard of 1947 in NYC,hurricane Sandy in 2012 when nearly 90 percent of the town I live in was destroyed. We were without electricity for 14 days.I have been in California during Earthquakes.However,the worst experience I ever had was in 1997 when I was mugged.A guy put a gun to my head and pulled the trigger but his gun jammed.

Posted (edited)
Just now, clo said:

The '89 NorCal earthquake (I lived there then) "only" killed 67 people.  Any is too many but compared to some other natural disasters....  And you don't know it's coming so you really can't worry about.

We also went thru the '89 earthquake and then the Navy moved us to Key West. We were there during Andrew. We have lived in South Florida for the past 23 years and had a direct hit from Wilma with no damage except for the power being out. The hurricanes we could have left if necessary, but with earthquakes you're screwed. I can't imagine the horror that the people felt being on the bridge. If that had been a hurricane the bridge would have been empty. I would much rather plan and be worried that to be caught off guard.

Just now, lenquixote66 said:

I survived the blizzard of 1947 in NYC,hurricane Sandy in 2012 when nearly 90 percent of the town I live in was destroyed. We were without electricity for 14 days.I have been in California during Earthquakes.However,the worst experience I ever had was in 1997 when I was mugged.A guy put a gun to my head and pulled the trigger but his gun jammed.

Sorry that happened to you. It must have been horrifying. So glad it jammed.

Edited by ReneeFLL

2 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

We also went thru the '89 earthquake and then the Navy moved us to Key West. We were there during Andrew. We have lived in South Florida for the past 23 years and had a direct hit from Wilma with no damage except for the power being out. The hurricanes we could have left if necessary, but with earthquakes you're screwed. I can't imagine the horror that the people felt being on the bridge. If that had been a hurricane the bridge would have been empty. I would much rather plan and be worried that to be caught off guard.

It was the worst experience of my life.

I live in South Florida now and have experienced hurricanes throughout my life living on the east coast.  As others have said, at least you usually have plenty of time to prepare.  There are much worse natural and unpredictable disasters in my estimation.

I've experienced small earthquakes in Italy and Belgium that were unsettling and a 6.0 earthquake with an epicenter in the mountain viewable outside my front windows outside Athens, Greece that killed 143 people.  That was terrifying because obviously there was no warning; my kids were at school; all phone lines (cell and land) went down immediately (I happened to be talking to my husband on the phone when it happened); and the aftershocks - some very severe - went on for weeks. 

The other highly unpredictable event I have experienced and that scares me are wildfires. I lived through a very serious one centered on the mountain viewable from my back windows outside Athens that lasted for days.  The mountain was on fire, there were ashes falling from the sky, and the next door neighbor of a friend who lived further up the mountain died fighting to keep the fire away from his house instead of evacuating.

Although I've never experienced a tornado, my son did when in high school in 2001 (2 weeks after 9/11) in an area (northern Virginia) where tornadoes are not a regular occurrence.  You at least get some general warning now (not so then) in most cases but it is a matter of minutes, not days.  I was returning home from work in terrible weather when they announced that a tornado was seen within 200 feet of my house (at a major intersection).  I was able to get hold of my son and asked if he was okay.  He said sure but it was awfully dark and windy outside and that the dog - who obviously had more sense than him - was hiding downstairs in the rec room.  The tornado took out windows in buildings and highway signs 1/4 mile away, rose over Washington, DC and landed again on the University of Maryland campus and killed 2 sisters IIRC.

I'll take a potential hurricane over the unpredictability of earthquakes, wildfires and tornadoes any day.

Running out of gas and having to walk to a gas station and buy a can and walk back sucks too.

28 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

My only point is that, so far knock wood, the death toll is so much worse from that dang hurricanes.  Again, stay safe.

11 hours ago, ducklite said:

Oh hell no!  With a hurricane you have advance notice for days if not over a week.  As long as you live in a well constructed home you're safe through a Cat 2.  You have the opportunity to leave if you need to.  There are shelters available.

Earthquakes happen without notice.  Same thing with tornadoes.  Those things give you less than a couple minutes notice and kill far more people than any other natural disaster.   (Katrina aside, but I blame the majority of deaths in that storm on incredibly poor planning by a number of governmental agencies from the local City Councils/Mayors all the way up to the White House.  Most of the people who were killed in Katrina had no place to go, no way to get there, and no one who gave a 

I will still live here with the tornados, we've had several come through here.  Tornados rarely happen without warning.  If you are generally aware  of what's going on and of the signs you have time to get underground.  Eventhough most people it seems tend to go out side and watch instead of to the basement.   The reason we wouldn't like hurricanes is because there is so much destruction.  But that is just what I have seen on tv.  

6 hours ago, sprint180 said:

I will still live here with the tornados, we've had several come through here.  Tornados rarely happen without warning.  If you are generally aware  of what's going on and of the signs you have time to get underground.  Eventhough most people it seems tend to go out side and watch instead of to the basement.   The reason we wouldn't like hurricanes is because there is so much destruction.  But that is just what I have seen on tv.  

In much of the Midwest people don't have basements.  The lucky ones have storm shelters, but not everyone does, and disabled people can't get "underground."  (There is a new solution for them, check out "Life-Lift" shelters, they were on Shark Tank.)

It's hard to compare apples to apples.  Overall tornadoes kill more people because there is less warning.  They also can tear up a well constructed house that a hurricane would readily withstand with only cosmetic damage.  Either way, they are both terrible.

In Houston condos were built guaranteed to be hurricane and other storm proof.

People from as far as New Jersey bought apartments there.The next year they were destroyed totally from storms.