Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
PelicanBill

Atlantic storm Dorian

Recommended Posts

We were on the Equinox last week and have been watching the storm move through all the areas we visited. I feel for what those of you are facing who have a cruise leaving this weekend. I have been following and appreciate all the information from the locals and experienced as I was supposed to be flying into FLL tomorrow for a wedding dress shopping weekend with my future daughter-in-law and her family. The bride also needs to fly in and she pulled the plug last night, she absolutely has to be at work in Dallas on Tuesday. Now, to get the airlines other than SW to waive fees. Again, thanks to all the wonderful CC contributors. I always know where to go for info!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Siobhan said:

I'm not sure what plans to make.  We are travelling from Ireland Sunday through Boston to MCO due to arrive 6pm.  Booked into beachfront hotel Port Canaveral with the hope of boarding Norwegian Sun Monday Sept 2nd.  We are considering 

- Booking Boston hotel for Sunday night in case MCO is closed 

- Booking hotel near MCO for Sunday night and cancelling PC hotel (but we might not get to MCO on Sunday!)

-or both!

 

We did think about staying in Boston for the duration but as the cruise is not cancelled our insurance wouldnt cover the loss and our homeward flight is direct from MCO!!

 

Does anyone have a crystal ball?  I'd appreciate any advice !  Thanks

 

Sorry to hear of your dilemma.I have been in your shoes and it is not fun. I have reserved back up hotels

when in similar situations. Don't forget everyone evacuated along the coast will either have to camp

out with family or friends or book a hotel so they fill up quickly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Peachypooh said:

One poster said they sometimes turn the water off. I didn't know that but I do know

that one hurricane  I lived through they turned the power off ahead of time to prevent

people getting hurt from downed power lines. This was not in Florida though.

I feel for those who are unsure of what to do. 

One more thing.  After a storm and the causeway has been closed.  No one is allowed back on the causeway(to get on or off the island)  until it has been inspected for safety by the Florida Department of Transportation. 

Edited by geocruiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Peachypooh Thanks for the suggestion.  Booked an airport hotel just to be safe.  I can cancel up till Saturday afternoon so I have time to see what happens. 

 

So IF the current forecast holds with landfall Monday, I’m guessing my 2 pm Sunday flight out of MCO will be OK?  I know there is stuff coming in ahead, typically how far in advance of landfall would an airport close/have massive flight delays and cancellations?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Siobhan said:

 

Does anyone have a crystal ball?  I'd appreciate any advice !  Thanks

 

 

Wouldn't it be nice if someone would just go ahead and bring out their crystal ball already.  I mean what are you all waiting for?

 

Really, my heart goes out to all of you that I know must be having anxiety attacks and those with the irritation of trying to decide what is the best way to proceed.  My cruise is not for a month, but still in hurricane season and all this is making me think twice again about booking in hurricane season again.

 

I hope those of you going through this will continue to post and let us know how things go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live in the USVI and boy did the forecasters get this one wrong. We were pummeled. The eye went directly over my island (Water Island) and we got gusts up to 106. Expect the unexpected with this storm. She does not play by the "rules". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Newbieflorida said:

We're on Mariner tomorrow out of PC. Royal has been really good about keeping us informed. I've received an email from them with update twice now. They've closed CocoCay (I believe till Wednesday) and we are going to have a sea day instead. They are giving us 1 days' worth of future cruise credit to compensate for missing CocoCay. I'm really pleasantly surprised they're doing this. Great surprise! I'm  amazed though that they think we are still going to Nassau on Saturday. I've told my family to pack extra clothes, as I highly doubt we will be able to get back in to port on Monday. Also, bought more Dramamine today! Be safe everyone, and have an extra drink onboard!!

I agree, Royal Caribbean is doing a decent job of keeping people updated.  Although I really wonder how much fun a cruise to Nassau will be (departing Saturday and in Nassau Sunday).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, csj092809 said:

I live in the USVI and boy did the forecasters get this one wrong. We were pummeled. The eye went directly over my island (Water Island) and we got gusts up to 106. Expect the unexpected with this storm. She does not play by the "rules". 

So sorry to hear this. We just enjoyed the beach on your little island last week. Wishing you all the best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Siobhan said:

I'm not sure what plans to make.  We are travelling from Ireland Sunday through Boston to MCO due to arrive 6pm.  Booked into beachfront hotel Port Canaveral with the hope of boarding Norwegian Sun Monday Sept 2nd.  We are considering 

- Booking Boston hotel for Sunday night in case MCO is closed 

- Booking hotel near MCO for Sunday night and cancelling PC hotel (but we might not get to MCO on Sunday!)

-or both!

 

We did think about staying in Boston for the duration but as the cruise is not cancelled our insurance wouldnt cover the loss and our homeward flight is direct from MCO!!

 

Does anyone have a crystal ball?  I'd appreciate any advice !  Thanks

 

What time does your flight arrive?  Good chance you would still get in Sunday.  The storm has started slowing and may slow more.  I agree you should not hold in Boston as your flight itinerary will get canceled including your return flights unless you have approved changes with the airline.  You won't have trouble finding a hotel around Boston in the cast that the airline does cancel the flight.  Then you have trip insurance to help too.  Book a hotel near MCO now with cancellation allowed 24 hours or less.  If they evacuate your hotel you won't be charged. If they do not evacuate the hotel may be kind about canceling. If not, one night hotel cost would be worth peace of mind to me.  If the ship looks like it will sail you have all morning to find a car service to get you to Port Canaveral.  There are many such services in Orlando.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, erdoran said:

@Peachypooh Thanks for the suggestion.  Booked an airport hotel just to be safe.  I can cancel up till Saturday afternoon so I have time to see what happens. 

 

So IF the current forecast holds with landfall Monday, I’m guessing my 2 pm Sunday flight out of MCO will be OK?  I know there is stuff coming in ahead, typically how far in advance of landfall would an airport close/have massive flight delays and cancellations?


There can be tropical force winds hours prior to landfall.  They are expected to arrive at the port around noon on Sunday.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

What time does your flight arrive?  Good chance you would still get in Sunday.  The storm has started slowing and may slow more.  I agree you should not hold in Boston as your flight itinerary will get canceled including your return flights unless you have approved changes with the airline.  You won't have trouble finding a hotel around Boston in the cast that the airline does cancel the flight.  Then you have trip insurance to help too.  Book a hotel near MCO now with cancellation allowed 24 hours or less.  If they evacuate your hotel you won't be charged. If they do not evacuate the hotel may be kind about canceling. If not, one night hotel cost would be worth peace of mind to me.  If the ship looks like it will sail you have all morning to find a car service to get you to Port Canaveral.  There are many such services in Orlando.

Thanks so much.  Due to arrive at 6pm Sunday at MCO.  I've booked near MCO now with free cancellation up until Saturday night.  I agree - one night hotel cost is worth the peace of mind.  Again thanks for all the updates and advice.

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all, I have written down all your advice and this is my new plan. Please please correct me if anything looks like not a good idea. We fly in Friday and are going to stay in cocoa beach Friday and Saturday while we wait for more updated storm paths. Sunday or possibly Saturday night we will

be moving to a northwest hotel (any city suggestions?) now of course this is based on them having not evacuated cocoa beach before we get there Friday. If that happens we will just go directly to the north west city hotel. We will have a rental car so if the hotel that is northwest looks to possibly be impacted we will move again. Some who are on Harmony now are saying that since the storm slowed and appears it will continue to slow RCCL might either bring them back Saturday or early Sunday and then head back out and await the storm. What it doesn’t say is would they let us board or would it just be dropping them off and getting out of there? Any opinions? Also do you think it’s safe to go to cocoa beach for just Friday and Saturday, or just go northwest from the start? Thanks and to clarify I call them my kids but they are adults. I would never even consider this with small children. And am still considering just losing my money and cancelling it all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Traciewatson said:

Thank you all, I have written down all your advice and this is my new plan. Please please correct me if anything looks like not a good idea. We fly in Friday and are going to stay in cocoa beach Friday and Saturday while we wait for more updated storm paths. Sunday or possibly Saturday night we will

be moving to a northwest hotel (any city suggestions?) now of course this is based on them having not evacuated cocoa beach before we get there Friday. If that happens we will just go directly to the north west city hotel. We will have a rental car so if the hotel that is northwest looks to possibly be impacted we will move again. Some who are on Harmony now are saying that since the storm slowed and appears it will continue to slow RCCL might either bring them back Saturday or early Sunday and then head back out and await the storm. What it doesn’t say is would they let us board or would it just be dropping them off and getting out of there? Any opinions? Also do you think it’s safe to go to cocoa beach for just Friday and Saturday, or just go northwest from the start? Thanks and to clarify I call them my kids but they are adults. I would never even consider this with small children. And am still considering just losing my money and cancelling it all. 

I would keep posted on the evacuation orders if given.  They give the orders in zones.,  The highways out of the area will be very busy and the inland hotels might be full.  Do you have a reservation for a hotel inland and the route to get to it known?  The storm's path can change too.  I forget what hurricane it was but it was to go to the Tampa area and it went into Punta Gorda Fl and did lots of damage, because of the path change. 

I wish you the best and all for all in the hurricane's path to stay safe.  Maybe on Wednesday, I will still have my home there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, ducklite said:


There can be tropical force winds hours prior to landfall.  They are expected to arrive at the port around noon on Sunday.  

So my burning question still is whether I’ll know by 11 am Sunday if my 2 pm flight is canceled...I don’t want to leave wdw and be stuck at the airport with a last second cancellation 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're at a hotel on the Port Canaveral, they seem to be already preparing for the hurricane. They're putting up metal scaffolding across their windows. 

 

We will be out of here in 2 hours onto Ncl sun. Fingers crossed everything will be alright on this trip. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carnival just posted their 10AM Eastern update and NOTHING changed.  I am on the Carnival Sunshine scheduled to leave Monday and I was hoping to learn of any changes to the itinerary for the Sunshine's cruise which is leaving today.  They are supposed to have another update at noon Eastern.

 

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6292

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Raiderguy8 said:

Carnival just posted their 10AM Eastern update and NOTHING changed.  I am on the Carnival Sunshine scheduled to leave Monday and I was hoping to learn of any changes to the itinerary for the Sunshine's cruise which is leaving today.  They are supposed to have another update at noon Eastern.

 

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6292

 

What I find strange is the Sunshine out of Charleston for 9/2 isn't listed on their update at all but today's sailing is listed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Traciewatson said:

Thank you all, I have written down all your advice and this is my new plan. Please please correct me if anything looks like not a good idea. We fly in Friday and are going to stay in cocoa beach Friday and Saturday while we wait for more updated storm paths. Sunday or possibly Saturday night we will

be moving to a northwest hotel (any city suggestions?) now of course this is based on them having not evacuated cocoa beach before we get there Friday. If that happens we will just go directly to the north west city hotel. We will have a rental car so if the hotel that is northwest looks to possibly be impacted we will move again. Some who are on Harmony now are saying that since the storm slowed and appears it will continue to slow RCCL might either bring them back Saturday or early Sunday and then head back out and await the storm. What it doesn’t say is would they let us board or would it just be dropping them off and getting out of there? Any opinions? Also do you think it’s safe to go to cocoa beach for just Friday and Saturday, or just go northwest from the start? Thanks and to clarify I call them my kids but they are adults. I would never even consider this with small children. And am still considering just losing my money and cancelling it all. 

 

don't cancel yet...if RCCL makes changes to the departure I am sure there will be offers and you can get a refund credit at least. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Traciewatson said:

Thank you all, I have written down all your advice and this is my new plan. Please please correct me if anything looks like not a good idea. We fly in Friday and are going to stay in cocoa beach Friday and Saturday while we wait for more updated storm paths. Sunday or possibly Saturday night we will

be moving to a northwest hotel (any city suggestions?) now of course this is based on them having not evacuated cocoa beach before we get there Friday. If that happens we will just go directly to the north west city hotel. We will have a rental car so if the hotel that is northwest looks to possibly be impacted we will move again. Some who are on Harmony now are saying that since the storm slowed and appears it will continue to slow RCCL might either bring them back Saturday or early Sunday and then head back out and await the storm. What it doesn’t say is would they let us board or would it just be dropping them off and getting out of there? Any opinions? Also do you think it’s safe to go to cocoa beach for just Friday and Saturday, or just go northwest from the start? Thanks and to clarify I call them my kids but they are adults. I would never even consider this with small children. And am still considering just losing my money and cancelling it all. 

I would find a hotel to book inland around Orlando, Kissimmee, etc. that you can cancel up to 6pm day of arrival.

Otherwise I would do what you are doing too.

 

17 minutes ago, gizmoneil said:

P.S someone should change the topic from Atlantic storm to Hurricane Dorian lol

Can't change the name. I start a new thread whenever a storm gets a name, and there is no way to know if it will stay TS or be a hurricane.  I use Atlantic and Pacific because sometimes we are handling Pacific storm discussions!

 

10 minutes ago, erdoran said:

So my burning question still is whether I’ll know by 11 am Sunday if my 2 pm flight is canceled...I don’t want to leave wdw and be stuck at the airport with a last second cancellation 

Oh I would think so. Probably know Saturday night. Maybe earlier.

 

7 minutes ago, gizmoneil said:

We're at a hotel on the Port Canaveral, they seem to be already preparing for the hurricane. They're putting up metal scaffolding across their windows. 

 

We will be out of here in 2 hours onto Ncl sun. Fingers crossed everything will be alright on this trip. 

Have a good trip, wherever you go!

 

4 minutes ago, Raiderguy8 said:

Carnival just posted their 10AM Eastern update and NOTHING changed.  I am on the Carnival Sunshine scheduled to leave Monday and I was hoping to learn of any changes to the itinerary for the Sunshine's cruise which is leaving today.  They are supposed to have another update at noon Eastern.

 

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6292

I think they still cannot make decisions about sailing and return delays until another day passes at least. There is just too much uncertainty and it would be senseless to change all the sailings for 2 days at all 4 Florida ports (maybe 5!) now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, buckeyefrank said:

 

What I find strange is the Sunshine out of Charleston for 9/2 isn't listed on their update at all but today's sailing is listed.  

 

They are likely hoping they don't have to plan changes for Charleston, but I would guess the sailing it is still on their list for port considerations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hurricane newbie here, but I’m thinking since Friday and Saturday cruises are still going with the thought Dorian would be here Sunday/ Monday and now she’s stalling for more of a Monday/Tuesday landfall isn’t it possible the Sunday cruises will still go as scheduled? Or am I being too overly positive? And thanks PelicanBill. I will monitor any evacuation notices and if there are none go to CoCoa Beach and have a plan B for a hotel way more inland. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's something I am looking for today as I sift through the writings of the forecasting experts.  Everyone has been quoting the same thing the last 2 days - “The average 5-day track error is around 200 miles.”

Well, it's time to realize we are well inside 5 days. Let's look at the probable spread of the path in 3 days - for Sunday morning when everyone should be evacuating from those areas?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

 

They are likely hoping they don't have to plan changes for Charleston, but I would guess the sailing it is still on their list for port considerations.

My hope is that they will send today's Sunshine cruise out of Charleston to Bermuda to stay north of the storm.  That way they likely would be able to get back to port on Monday.  If they go south I would think they stand the chance of being delayed getting back to port.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Raiderguy8 said:

My hope is that they will send today's Sunshine cruise out of Charleston to Bermuda to stay north of the storm.  That way they likely would be able to get back to port on Monday.  If they go south I would think they stand the chance of being delayed getting back to port.

As someone getting on Sunshine today. I hope you're right too! 🙂

 

They are still claiming to go to Princess Cay. Def not happening. I would love Bermuda but thinking Freeport might be another quick stop option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...