Atlantic storm Dorian

Just curious... We are leaving on Saturday at PC.  Has anyone left their car at the port parking deck during a hurricane?  We are planning on parking higher in the deck due to storm surge and as interior as we can get (probably with hundreds of carloads of our new best friends 🤣

53 minutes ago, Cherries Jubilee said:

Thank you both. I’m feeling rather stupid now so I’m done asking questions. I appreciate the help.

Good luck everyone.

Please don't.  You are the smart one for asking and letting us discuss and talk about it.  There are a dozen others reading who are in the same position and hoping to hear if they are making sense or not.  We don't have all the answers, but a lot of people here have watched or been through a lot of storms and can explain what has happened before, or how it works when there is an evacuation, and give advise about what you should have or not.  We can't tell you what the risk is, really, because nobody knows what the storm will really do, or how sound any given building is.  But there is a lot we can talk about and maybe that helps people make their decisions.

32 minutes ago, aloyisuscowboy said:

If you are in a red flood zone near tidal surge they will evacuate that hotel and move people out, sometimes even using school buses to take you to shelters at schools and make you leave your vehicles there to flood. I saw this happen with in fort Myers on the river two years ago.

Oh definitely!  If it's in a red zone you go, period.  I was talking about booking a room in a place that isn't likely to be evacuated--no reason to add nights that you may or may not need at the end of the stay.  

18 minutes ago, almclain said:

Just curious... We are leaving on Saturday at PC.  Has anyone left their car at the port parking deck during a hurricane?  We are planning on parking higher in the deck due to storm surge and as interior as we can get (probably with hundreds of carloads of our new best friends 🤣

Aha good topic.  Best places in the garage are:  NOT ground floor.  NOT top floor exposed.  NOT at the edge open to flying debris.  I still see the helicopter video of Galveston parking yards in my head, with hundreds of cars 4 feet deep in the water.

16 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Please don't.  You are the smart one for asking and letting us discuss and talk about it.  There are a dozen others reading who are in the same position and hoping to hear if they are making sense or not.  We don't have all the answers, but a lot of people here have watched or been through a lot of storms and can explain what has happened before, or how it works when there is an evacuation, and give advise about what you should have or not.  We can't tell you what the risk is, really, because nobody knows what the storm will really do, or how sound any given building is.  But there is a lot we can talk about and maybe that helps people make their decisions.

Yes, please don't! I've been lurking for quite a few days (and have been refreshing this thread non-stop!) since I'm scheduled for the 9/1 RCI Empress departure from Miami. As a first time cruiser (hopefully), all of these questions and answers have been SO HELPFUL. Thank you for asking questions! 

Edited by May26

Here's something I get out about this time with hurricane landfalls:  A county map, as emergency operations are typically handled at the county level.  Search for web sites, twitter feeds, facebook pages and you find good information.

image.png.0e82fd64e9699331fc7c398c548908d8.png

FYI - Celebrity posted this update to their site:

"Celebrity Cruises is actively monitoring the development of Hurricane Dorian in the Atlantic.

At this time, the Celebrity Equinox is scheduled to maintain her current itinerary visiting Grand Cayman today, August 29th, Cruising at Sea tomorrow, August 30th and arriving into Fort Lauderdale for debarkation on Saturday, August 31st.

The August 31st sailing of Celebrity Equinox is also still scheduled to sail as planned. Please check back for updates."

4 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

The Euro run that just came out has it slowing way down..but shifting south!  Could be good news for keeping the ports open as scheduled..but bad news for more time over water to get stronger.

Forecasters are still divided on the models. None have been of great help so far. Many forecasters are buying into the high pressure block weakening allowing a traditional turn to the north.  NOAA/NHC seems to want to continue to split the different and go down the middle.  However see my prior post on the NHC forecast tracks and what Dorian has actually done... for that reason alone I do not favor a southward trend unless I saw evidence of a strengthening high pressure block... and we don't!

2 minutes ago, cruisnfamily said:

FYI - Celebrity posted this update to their site:

"Celebrity Cruises is actively monitoring the development of Hurricane Dorian in the Atlantic.

At this time, the Celebrity Equinox is scheduled to maintain her current itinerary visiting Grand Cayman today, August 29th, Cruising at Sea tomorrow, August 30th and arriving into Fort Lauderdale for debarkation on Saturday, August 31st.

The August 31st sailing of Celebrity Equinox is also still scheduled to sail as planned. Please check back for updates."

Yep Saturday seems safe for turnaround in Miami and FLL. Good news for many.  If the storm slows a bit more, then perhaps Sunday could also be safe, and that would be a sigh of relief for a lot of people.

1 hour ago, almclain said:

We stayed at Radisson and left car  there during hurricane and none of cars were damaged but some in port garage were when flying debris got blown in. This was Cat 2-3 hurricane. We returned to Lauderdale late and were bussed to PC because they have to dredge the channel at PC to get ships in. If you have hotel park option in protected area I would consider that 

and here's why we all need to take it seriously.  Dorian has grown.  As a category 4, the size of the hurricane force winds is incredible.  The tropical storm force winds are a surprisingly narrow band around the outside but we are looking at serious wind all the way to Miami and Jacksonville based on the current path.  With 3 days before we get close. Add the uncertainty and areas as far as Savannah, Charleston and the Keys need to be on alert. 

And we haven't even talked about the west side of Florida much. If it continues west, Disneyworld, Tampa, Fort Myers and Tallahassee are all looking at a serious storm.  It it bends NW, Columbus and Atlanta.  If it suddenly recurves, Savannah, Charleston, Hilton Head, etc....  everyone should be preparing.

No photo description available.

That's what I'm afraid of......Hilton Head Island may still get some wind and rain.  Rain I can take.  Wind, not so much.

Not after Maria, Matthew, Florence, Charlie, Ivan, Andrew and all those other hurricanes that I'd rather not have gone thru.

I couldn't stand the earthquakes in California so I moved to Florida.  We don't like hurricanes so we moved to South Carolina.

Tornadoes in the midwest in my childhood.  Mt St Helens blowing up in the northwest when I lived in Seattle.  Give me a break!

3 minutes ago, troyers said:

What do you think this will do to Nassau and Freeport?  We are scheduled to stop there Monday and Tuesday.

If you're on Ncl expect them to take you to Cozumel like we're about to on NCL Sun. 

3 minutes ago, gizmoneil said:

If you're on Ncl expect them to take you to Cozumel like we're about to on NCL Sun. 

thats fine with me.   We leave Saturday.  I wonder if we will still stop in Key West Sunday...

14 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

That's what I'm afraid of......Hilton Head Island may still get some wind and rain.  Rain I can take.  Wind, not so much.

Not after Maria, Matthew, Florence, Charlie, Ivan, Andrew and all those other hurricanes that I'd rather not have gone thru.

I couldn't stand the earthquakes in California so I moved to Florida.  We don't like hurricanes so we moved to South Carolina.

Tornadoes in the midwest in my childhood.  Mt St Helens blowing up in the northwest when I lived in Seattle.  Give me a break!

Oh dear. Come to western New York.  We only get one or two blizzards a year.

12 minutes ago, troyers said:

What do you think this will do to Nassau and Freeport?  We are scheduled to stop there Monday and Tuesday.

Yea, no you're not.  Like many others, you will go somewhere else!

Someone said:

Never Forget Charley

We (in Punta Gorda) took a direct hit from Charley.  It was supposed to be a Cat 2 storm, hitting in Sarasota or Tampa.  Then it stopped, right outside of Boca Grande...stood in place and became a Cat 4 and headed right to us.

We lost power, but people told us that our local newscasters broke with the national ones and told all of us to seek shelter NOW.  When 145+ winds were hitting us, NOAA was still predicting the storm would make landfall in Sarasota.

Just as an aside.... I'll never forget Sue Miller, Bombero and others who were on Cruise Critic that morning.  Sue discovered that I had not posted after Charley hit us in Punta Gorda.   Somehow  she found out who I was and then where I lived.  A few days later someone was at my door saying "hi, I'm "Bombero" from Cruise Critic.  Are you OK?  Do you need anything??"  Still chokes me up to think of them.💗

I still don't trust hurricane forecasters.

Edited by mafig
3 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Oh dear. Come to western New York.  We only get one or two blizzards a year.

Yea, no you're not.  Like many others, you will go somewhere else!

Nah.....when I moved from Denver I said I never wanted to see another snowflake.

19 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

Remind me not to live where you live!!  Boy, you have had your share. 

1 minute ago, geocruiser said:

Remind me not to live where you live!!  Boy, you have had your share. 

Well, I started out wrong when I was born in the middle of the great flood in Kansas City in 1951.  I guess natural disasters and bad weather have followed me ever since.  It's not my fault, really!

I'm getting updates from my friend's neighbor who works for NOAA here in Miami so I'll start posting what updates I get. 

Nerves are starting to fray.  Our local publix grocery stores empty water shelves. It's king tide so flooding will be awful.  If anyone remembers, I live on Brickell Ave and the bay came across Brickell and up to our building's stairs for Irma.

this should get interesting.

29 minutes ago, mafig said:

Someone said:

Never Forget Charley

We (in Punta Gorda) took a direct hit from Charley.  It was supposed to be a Cat 2 storm, hitting in Sarasota or Tampa.  Then it stopped, right outside of Boca Grande...stood in place and became a Cat 4 and headed right to us.

We lost power, but people told us that our local newscasters broke with the national ones and told all of us to seek shelter NOW.  When 145+ winds were hitting us, NOAA was still predicting the storm would make landfall in Sarasota.

Just as an aside.... I'll never forget Sue Miller, Bombero and others who were on Cruise Critic that morning.  Sue discovered that I had not posted after Charley hit us in Punta Gorda.   Somehow  she found out who I was and then where I lived.  A few days later someone was at my door saying "hi, I'm "Bombero" from Cruise Critic.  Are you OK?  Do you need anything??"  Still chokes me up to think of them.💗

I still don't trust hurricane forecasters.

Yep, don't trust them!  We lived in Naples for Charley and remember when it turned at the last minute.  The news kept saying no but our local forecasters contradicted them. Wilma was another terrible one living there.

After Irma few years back, I'm over them all!  

Good luck and stay safe. 

Edited by Host CJSKIDS