Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
PelicanBill

Atlantic storm Dorian

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, LuCruise said:

I'm wondering about secondary impacts. We're leaving on a Bahamas cruise today, back on Friday. I know we are not in the TD range but since we're not so far off, are we to expect rain as well? 

The storm is small. So approaching rain and wind should follow you but not interfere with your cruise.

 

59 minutes ago, Newbieflorida said:

Your thoughts on Mariner of the Seas out of Port Canaveral on 8/30 with Nassau 8/31 and CocoCay on 9/1. I'm guessing we might have sea days instead?

I think ships will need to clear out of the Bahamas before 8/31 and 9/1.  Sorry but feels like you won't head south from Port Canaveral... my guess if this path holds.

 

36 minutes ago, tice529 said:

Has anyone ever had a 3 night cruise cancelled because of a hurricane?  We are supposed to be docking in Nassau for an overnight on 8/31....the same Dorian is scheduled to make an appearance there 😐

It has happened. Not may options.  At current path and speed I don't think any ships can be in the Bahamas 8/31 and 9/1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it’s early in the week, but would love to check-in on our 9/1 sailing. We’re leaving out of Fort Lauderdale and headed towards Labadee on 9/3. Is it typical that if there are delays, especially with Dorian potentially headed towards Florida?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When do you think the cruise lines will make calls on cruises scheduled to leave south Florida this weekend? I’m worried I won’t even be able to fly there if I wanted to.... and if my cruise is getting cancelled, I’d like to go book another cruise leaving elsewhere cause I realllllllly need a cruise next week, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh, I should have known better than to book during the summer as a Floridian!  
Supposed to leave 9/2 out of Port Canaveral and call on Key West, Freeport, Nassau and Great Stirrup Cay.  
I'm afraid protocols might delay ships  from returning to port if this thing makes landfall or hugs the central eastern coast next weekend. 
What are the odds my cruise is docked on Monday morning, 9/2? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am worried about Harmony getting to port this Sunday 9/1 ☹️😯

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Following. Due to travel from Ireland at the weekend to join Norwegian Sun out of Port Canaveral Sept 2nd. Fingers crossed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

The storm is small. So approaching rain and wind should follow you but not interfere with your cruise.

 

I think ships will need to clear out of the Bahamas before 8/31 and 9/1.  Sorry but feels like you won't head south from Port Canaveral... my guess if this path holds.

 

It has happened. Not may options.  At current path and speed I don't think any ships can be in the Bahamas 8/31 and 9/1.

How strong does a storm have to be for cruise ships to cease docking or sailing from a port

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Story for Dorian same as earlier today (Monday).  Forecasting is tricky due to small size and dry air that should be holding it back a bit but NHC is still g this one is hard to forecast. At this point we are looking at a tropical storm coming into the Bahamas and then to Florida. 

 

Ships are going to steer clear of tropical storms especially if any chance of gaining strength. If this thing doesn’t weaken fast once it passes PR and DR I would expect some serious ship schedule changes for the weekend. Let’s hope not but please be ready. Stay close especially if you are flying to Florida Saturday or Sunday.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are booked on the 9/1 Allure and thinking of trying to come in earlier on Friday instead of Saturday.   We have cruise a few times in hurricane season but this is the first time I’ve worried that we won’t make it  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are also coming into Orlando Friday pending any huge changes after Dorian hits PR. I really feel like if it keeps on it’s current path and goes over the Hispaniola Island the rugged terrain will almost dissipate the storm. Now, if she comes through PR and Hispaniola where there is a small gap and gets out to the warm Caribbean water we could be in trouble. We should all know by Wednesday night. When we went on Liberty after Harvey RC did not confirm that we were going for sure until Friday at 3PM and we sailed Sunday! It was a get here, or do not go and there was no talk of a refund since they were sailing. So getting to Florida early is a good idea. May end up we still don’t go, but at least you are there if we do. Now, if come Wednesday it looks like a hurricane is headed for Florida then we will be cancelling our flights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never cruised during this time of year. Crazy! We are booked on MSc seaside, leaving Miami on 8/31. Do they ever cancel 7 day cruises, or do the just start a day or two late? Was fly down from Atlanta Saturday morning, think I will leave Friday instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am starting to really wonder where the NCL SUN is going. We are supposed to board 8/29  in PC which I think will happen but be in Nassau 8/30, GSC 8/31 and Freeport 9/1 returning to PC 9/2.... I am wondering where in the heck the ship will go? Nothing north, is either Coz or Grand Cayman Island doable from Port C on a 4 night cruise? About the only thing I can think of....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi - wondering about the quick 4 night itineraries to the Bahama's on the Mariner or Navigator - I see there are numerous questions pertaining to the 3 nighters - but what would they do on the 4 night cruises to the Bahama's?  Would they cancel them as well ?  Just wondering and trying to prepare for cancellation and what to do instead.

 

Thanks  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, bobsfamily said:

I am starting to really wonder where the NCL SUN is going. We are supposed to board 8/29  in PC which I think will happen but be in Nassau 8/30, GSC 8/31 and Freeport 9/1 returning to PC 9/2.... I am wondering where in the heck the ship will go? Nothing north, is either Coz or Grand Cayman Island doable from Port C on a 4 night cruise? About the only thing I can think of....

We are in the same boat. 🤣 Hoping they come up with some sort of alternative as I have been looking forward to some R&R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We don't usually sail this time of year but we're already coming to Galveston for a wedding on Sunday ! Thought we might as well hop on a ship while we were there........Board Monday (Labor Day) on the Dream. What are the odds of us getting out of the Gulf? Short 5 day cruise with stops in Progresso & Cozumel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doing the NCL Sun as well on 8/29. Called several times over the last couple of days to get some sort of an update, but no luck. It appears that they are going to wait until the very minute to make a decision on what they plan on doing. It would be nice if they’d sent out an email letting everyone know what the options are for this cruise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 9:50 PM, Sailor Taylor said:

Yikes!  Traveling on 8/31 from Miami!  

Ditto !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Waiting very impatiently to see what the NCL Sky departing on 8/31 from Miami is going to do. As a 5 day cruise, I guess it’s pretty up in the air. 😞 It’s my birthday weekend and I’d love to make plans otherwise. I do understand in tropical weather terms it’s still too early to know for sure, but still, the waiting is killing me lol!

Edited by Juliaaay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m getting sadly pretty educated about hurricanes, but one thing I cannot seem to find is will a ship leave port if it is a tropical depression, or a tropical storm? I know they will not with a hurricane, but a weaker storm? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow lots of people pondering their cruises.  Some general thoughts:

- strength matters.  A tropical storm has danger and ships are likely to be rerouted, delayed, etc.  A depression with confidence it won't grow is not as likely to reroute and delay ships.

- I do think the 3 and 4 day itineraries are at risk of being canceled.  7 day cruises usually are extended before returning and shortened on the next sailing. The ships will start to come in toward port as soon as northward storm motion can be confirmed so they can "chase" the storm in.  Although we've seen some bad press on rough rides, that is how NYC ships have done it numerous times the last few years.

- I also would probably come in early to avoid flight problems for a 7 day cruise. Might spend 3 nights if the cruise is delayed but makes sense!

- Galveston is not at risk. Although there is talk of Dorian crossing Florida and into the gulf it will be thunderstorms only by then.  Only massive Cat 4-5 storms cross Florida and reach the other side still a cyclone. Dorian is a small, weak storm.

 

See the next update now for a discussion of ports.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dorian has crossed over Barbados, and is now passing between St. Lucia and St. Vincent.  Still at tropical storm strength.  Still forecast to be a hurricane and then pass 10-20 miles off the SW coast of Puerto Rico.  A small change could put it over PR so stay informed.  They don't need another storm.  Then the path suggests hugging the North coast of the Dominican republic and then into the Turks & Caicos and Bahamas.

PR: Wed. afternoon - evening - night as a tropical storm.

DR: Wed. night - Thursday as a tropical storm.

Ts&Cs: Friday as a tropical storm.

Bahamas: Saturday-Sunday as a tropical storm.

Florida: late Saturday night - Sunday morming landfall as a tropical storm.

 

The forecast path suggests a little farther north now, toward Port St. Lucie. This is important for cruisers.  The forecast has shifted slightly north TWICE.  When forecasts do that, I almost always see that trend continue.  So I think it is quite possible it will shift slightly north again.  What would that mean?  It could clear Miami and Fort Lauderdale for cruise operations. Or at least have a much shorter delay.  It places Port Canaveral at higher risk of delays.

 

It is still 5 days out so a lot can still change. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jetdoctorbox said:

Doing the NCL Sun as well on 8/29. Called several times over the last couple of days to get some sort of an update, but no luck. It appears that they are going to wait until the very minute to make a decision on what they plan on doing. It would be nice if they’d sent out an email letting everyone know what the options are for this cruise. 

We are in the same boat. 🤣 Hoping they come up with some sort of alternative as I have been looking forward to some R&R

 

Jet and Nola,

It's looking like the Villa excursion to GSC will be an onboard credit! With the Bahamas basically under a TS the entire we are at sea I wonder if we are just going to be a cruise to one of the Bahama islands and then cruise nowhere for the rest of the time.  PC should be fine both for 8/29 and 9/2.  We fly in 8/29 early... at least we have a suite for a 4 night cruise to nowhere!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're on the NCL Sun from Port Canaveral on 8/29 as well. This is our 2nd cruise ever so I don't know how things usually work during a storm! Do they change the itinerary last minute ? like do they tell us just before we get on the cruise ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are cruises to nowhere possible with the Jones Act? We leave Thursday out of Charleston and originally it is supposed to be a 4 day cruise to Princess Cay, putting us in the Bahamas on Saturday. Don't think Princess Cay will happen, but is it possible we can still cruise with no ports? I would love a re-route to Bermuda but not sure if that is feasible in 4 days. Honestly would be fine with a cruise to nowhere, hoping that it isn't just cancelled 😞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...