Cruise Critic Community
PelicanBill

Atlantic storm Dorian

Hurricane is wobbling dangerously with respect to path along the coast. Landfalls possible from cape canaveral on north. Or none. But wind and water will be a danger. 

Ports Miami and Everglades are just opened. Many ships lined up to south to come in tomorrow morning.  

Devastating video of  Grand Bahama Island (Freeport) coming in. Terrible and heartbreaking. 

Disturbed by my local meteorologist reporting that Dorian is moving north. That’s what we all hope. But is IS NOT. It is moving northwest. Until it is moving north Florida is in danger. Don’t assume what you hear on TV is accurate every time.

Here’s something fun. Looking at ships ready to return to Miami Port.... saw a cluster of blue ships about 50 miles south in a random pattern.  Zoomed in... it’s tug boats! Guessing it is the Miami port tug fleet waiting safely away!

13065FEF-40E0-4DC4-9B8D-7D646A45777F.png

Statement from Royal Caribbean 

https://www.padf.org/hurricane-dorian-royal?fbclid=IwAR0-rCbYhJ-WCEBz7MbauQJ0aDOPuj5XXY-n0UVTfx--OpLccYcE-3c3aoM

"The Bahamas has been our partner for nearly five decades and our thoughts are with them in Hurricane Dorian’s aftermath. 

We have partnered with the Pan American Development Foundation (PADF) to providing disaster relief to our Bahamian neighbors and friends in this time of need and will match all donated funds up to $500,000.

PADF is launching an immediate fundraising campaign to help Bahamian communities recover from the tragedy. All donations made will support the recovery and reconstruction of Bahamian communities in the wake of this disaster."

Carnival has pledged to support the shipyard and its employees.

Royal Caribbean pledged a total of $1M in relief (500,000 matching plus another 500,000.)

Dorian is category 2 and moving NNW, expected to curve, with no landfall in Florida. 

But it will be A rough time for the shorelines.

It is good to see 6 ships in port in Miami today.  And interesting that it turned out that the revised estimate all the cruise made, to return Wednesday, turned out to be right.

I can see Disney Dream hanging out near Miami waiting for the storm to move north to head to Port Canaveral.

I can see Carnival Ecstasy off the coast of West Palm Beach, slowly following the storm to return to Jacksonville.

Carnival Sunshine is completing its run around the back side of Dorian and heading to Nassau... hope to see them get clearance but I think the port is probably fine there.

Norwegian Breakaway is making its 4-day voyage from New Orleans to Miami to resume service Sunday. I imagine there is lots of cleaning, maintenance and employee training taking place while there are no passengers aboard!

For anyone that made the switch over to Harmony out of Port Canaveral, did you get a notification about cruise documents? Initially we had completed the online check in for the mariner but then we got switched over to Harmony. I called again this morning and was told to just show up at the Port with our passports.   

Because the harmony was supposed to leave on the first, online check-in or printing of set sail passes is not allowed. Nor is the pre-purchase of Internet or beverage packages, etc. Assuming that means that I will now pay full price for any kind of packages once on board? 

1 hour ago, JTJT1 said:

For anyone that made the switch over to Harmony out of Port Canaveral, did you get a notification about cruise documents? Initially we had completed the online check in for the mariner but then we got switched over to Harmony. I called again this morning and was told to just show up at the Port with our passports.   

Because the harmony was supposed to leave on the first, online check-in or printing of set sail passes is not allowed. Nor is the pre-purchase of Internet or beverage packages, etc. Assuming that means that I will now pay full price for any kind of packages once on board? 

I would hope anything you already bought would transfer over.

22 hours ago, geocruiser said:

Like you I don't cruise during hurricane season.  I think the issue that most people here on this thread was not knowing what was going to happen.

As for your statement

I know this is disappointing for many people. I really do. I understand the frustration, but if you don't know you are taking a HUGE risk by booking during the height of hurricane season, then you now more aware.  IF you do know you are taking a huge risk by booking during hurricane season and you choose to book anyhow, then much of the situation falls on you and not the cruise line.  They are doing what they can to keep everyone safe and to keep their vessels safe.  

It falls on the cruise line too for sailing in the Caribbean  during the hurricane season.  Are they not taking the same risk?

Yes, you are correct. Perhaps they shouldn't offer cruises during this season. It seems that more lines used to pull their ships to other locales during hurricane season. My point was more that it's no secret when hurricane season comes around. It is the same time every year.   If someone chooses to take the gamble to vacation during this time of year,  they know the risk they are taking and the cruise lines should not have to bend over backward to make it "right."  You know it is a risky investment at best, and that you may lose time and money by making that investment.  
If the cruise lines have to shorten cruises, or cancel cruises, they have to do what is safest for their customers.  The cruise lines don't know any more than the rest of us where a storm is going to go, so they can't make predictions in June for a cruise in August.  Heck, they can't even make a prediction 10 days out.  
Two days ago, it looked REALLY good for the South Carolina coast to almost escape the brunt of this storm. All indications were that it was moving eastward and that the odds for sustained winds and flooding were diminishing rapidly.  Maybe some light tropical force winds. Now, we are smack dab back in the cone and facing hurricane force winds again and serious flooding. Not Bahamian serious, but still pretty serious.  
I just don't know why people are all up in arms a week out that they don't know and no-one has informed them what they need to do about travel plans.  A week out, in terms of hurricane planning, may as well be two years out to plan a normal vacation.  Who in the world would have expected it to linger over the Bahamas for the  better part of three days going only a mile an hour? Those people are devastated. 

Hurricane season runs June 1- November 30 EVERY YEAR, with the most severe storms typically occurring in August, September and October.  I repeat- Hurricane Season is JUNE 1-NOVEMBER 30 EVERY YEAR.   EVERY STINKING YEAR.   If you choose to cruise, especially a Caribbean itinerary,  in August, September or October of any given year, you assume a greater than average risk that your cruise will be impacted in some way.   Lengthened, shortened, cancelled,  re-routed and often on very short notice.  You should expect that notice to come no more than one week out- and often not more than 2 days out.   If that's not a risk you are willing to take, and you are not willing to accept the greater than likely possibility that you will be living on pins and needles for the better part of at least three months- then don't schedule a Caribbean cruise in August, September or October of any year. 

4 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

I would hope anything you already bought would transfer over.

Nope,  they sent me an email showing me everything from the prior cruise planner has been canceled.   

1 minute ago, JTJT1 said:

Nope,  they sent me an email showing me everything from the prior cruise planner has been canceled.   

That's not a great move on their part, unless they were thinking you were going to cancel. My suggestion would be that maybe you could take any receipts or notifications of your purchases and see if they will honor them at the price you were last locked in.  Who knows? Some people are planners and print out everything or save all their correspondence-email or otherwise- until they step on the ship.  
If the last email you got about the cancellation says anything about the fact it was cancelled due to the storm or because of the ship change, perhaps you could prevail upon them to honor your pricing.   Although, it could be that pricing for the Harmony was different than pricing for the Mariner on the day you booked your last confirmed purchase.   The prices for the megaships are often higher anyhow for the packages. That said, it wasn't as though you booked on the Harmony. You booked on Mariner and they would be wise to honor that price if it was the last one you locked in. 
I don't know if it would work, but if you don't ask- the answer is definitely "no."   If you ask, the answer may still be "no" but at least  you tried.  

Best of luck to you. 

35 minutes ago, JTJT1 said:

Bring the invoice that shows the amounts and I would see if they would honor it onboard.

We are on a shortened one today and the OBC isn't already loaded.  Assuming it will post tomorrow.

37 minutes ago, legaljen1969 said:

Hurricane season runs June 1- November 30 EVERY YEAR, with the most severe storms typically occurring in August, September and October.  I repeat- Hurricane Season is JUNE 1-NOVEMBER 30 EVERY YEAR.   EVERY STINKING YEAR.   If you choose to cruise, especially a Caribbean itinerary,  in August, September or October of any given year, you assume a greater than average risk that your cruise will be impacted in some way.   Lengthened, shortened, cancelled,  re-routed and often on very short notice.  You should expect that notice to come no more than one week out- and often not more than 2 days out.   If that's not a risk you are willing to take, and you are not willing to accept the greater than likely possibility that you will be living on pins and needles for the better part of at least three months- then don't schedule a Caribbean cruise in August, September or October of any year. 

I agree

Sometimes you may get lucky  & no storms  but  there is  no guaranty

There  are way too many ships  so some do stay in the Caribbean  during these months

You could pick other areas of the World to cruise but  I bet they are not going to be  a cheap cruise

JMO

41 minutes ago, legaljen1969 said:

urricane season runs June 1- November 30 EVERY YEAR, with the most severe storms typically occurring in August, September and October.  I repeat- Hurricane Season is JUNE 1-NOVEMBER 30 EVERY YEAR.   EVERY STINKING YEAR.   If you choose to cruise, especially a Caribbean itinerary,  in August, September or October of any given year, you assume a greater than average risk that your cruise will be impacted in some way.   Lengthened, shortened, cancelled,  re-routed and often on very short notice.  You should expect that notice to come no more than one week out- and often not more than 2 days out.   If that's not a risk you are willing to take, and you are not willing to accept the greater than likely possibility that you will be living on pins and needles for the better part of at least three months- then don't schedule a Caribbean cruise in August, September or October of any year. 

Next Spring when people ask if they should cruise during hurricane season the answers will be along the lines of : the cruise ship will go around the storm, the itinerary might be changed, you might get a longer than expected cruise, the cruise line will not put you in harm's way, and one of the best...."I've been on over 100 cruises during hurricane season and never had a problem."

Very few if any people will post as you have now (at least not in April, in September ….yes!). 

I try to tell people about airport closures, to get insurance, to come in early, . but people are lured by the cheap prices.  \

I think your point of being of pins and needles cannot be stressed enough.  Even if it works out OK, you'll spend at least a week wondering what to do.  

Even though the season is June through November, it's August, September and (my opinion) the first part of October that's the worst.

I booked an Alaska cruise for mid Sept. Having lived in Miami since before Hurricane Andrew, I knew better than to do a Caribbean cruise.  Now we’re sitting in a friends front yard in our camping trailer in central Georgia while our house on Hilton Head Island, SC hopefully doesn’t get trashed.  Mandatory evacuation last Monday.  I just hope we don’t have a lot of damage and the airport can reopen next week so we can fly out to Seattle. (Note to self: do not book a cruise anywhere in Sept or Oct as long as we live on the island!)

Edited by Diver2014

4 hours ago, legaljen1969 said:

Yes, you are correct. Perhaps they shouldn't offer cruises during this season. It seems that more lines used to pull their ships to other locales during hurricane season. My point was more that it's no secret when hurricane season comes around. It is the same time every year.   If someone chooses to take the gamble to vacation during this time of year,  they know the risk they are taking and the cruise lines should not have to bend over backward to make it "right."  You know it is a risky investment at best, and that you may lose time and money by making that investment.  
If the cruise lines have to shorten cruises, or cancel cruises, they have to do what is safest for their customers.  The cruise lines don't know any more than the rest of us where a storm is going to go, so they can't make predictions in June for a cruise in August.  Heck, they can't even make a prediction 10 days out.  
Two days ago, it looked REALLY good for the South Carolina coast to almost escape the brunt of this storm. All indications were that it was moving eastward and that the odds for sustained winds and flooding were diminishing rapidly.  Maybe some light tropical force winds. Now, we are smack dab back in the cone and facing hurricane force winds again and serious flooding. Not Bahamian serious, but still pretty serious.  
I just don't know why people are all up in arms a week out that they don't know and no-one has informed them what they need to do about travel plans.  A week out, in terms of hurricane planning, may as well be two years out to plan a normal vacation.  Who in the world would have expected it to linger over the Bahamas for the  better part of three days going only a mile an hour? Those people are devastated. 

The hurricane season is no secret to the passengers or the cruise line.  Both are taking a risk, the cruise line for sailing that part of the globe during the season and the PAX for booking it.  I think both the PAX and the cruise line should except the risks involved IF they want to cruise during that period.  Both are playing the odds.

I wish you well with the storm.  Let us know how you make out.

My place made it through.  We are less than 500 ft from the ocean.  I just hate it when I turned on the Weather Channel and they are broadcasting on the beach across the street from my house.

Wishing you the best.

2 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

I booked an Alaska cruise for mid Sept. Having lived in Miami since before Hurricane Andrew, I knew better than to do a Caribbean cruise.  Now we’re sitting in a friends front yard in our camping trailer in central Georgia while our house on Hilton Head Island, SC hopefully doesn’t get trashed.  Mandatory evacuation last Monday.  I just hope we don’t have a lot of damage and the airport can reopen next week so we can fly out to Seattle. (Note to self: do not book a cruise anywhere in Sept or Oct as long as we live on the island!)

Stay safe.  I hope that all will be well for you. Keep us posted.

Yes. Back to category 3.  Very dangerous for Charleston and Savannah now, especially at high tide late tonight and tomorrow afternoon.

forecast path shows a “buzzsaw” of the southern North Carolina coast and lower outer banks.  Gonna make a mess there I think.

Cruise ships and tugs are heading toward a Port Canaverzl return tomorrow.

i am happy to see NCL’s announcement pledging $1M plus matching donations to their partner charity, and, best of all:  Breakaway, as we all know, is sailing with no passengers for 4 days. Tomorrow it will pick up supplies being gathered by employees and the city of Miami and take them to the Bahamas. It’s largely symbolic but I can’t help thinking Bahamians will be glad to see this ship come in this soon with such a positive statement.  Meanwhile the US army is performing many medical evacuation helicopter flights from Homestead to Abaco with medics on board. The situation is very desperate there.

Edited by PelicanBill

11 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

Yes. Back to category 3.  Very dangerous for Charleston and Savannah now, especially at high tide late tonight and tomorrow afternoon.

forecast path shows a “buzzsaw” of the southern North Carolina coast and lower outer banks.  Gonna make a mess there I think.

Cruise ships and tugs are heading toward a Port Canaverzl return tomorrow.

i am happy to see NCL’s announcement pledging $1M plus matching donations to their partner charity, and, best of all:  Breakaway, as we all know, is sailing with no passengers for 4 days. Tomorrow it will pick up supplies being gathered by employees and the city of Miami and take them to the Bahamas. It’s largely symbolic but I can’t help thinking Bahamians will be glad to see this ship come in this soon with such a positive statement.  Meanwhile the US army is performing many medical evacuation helicopter flights from Homestead to Abaco with medics on board. The situation is very desperate there.

I am glad you told me (by posting here) about RCCL.  I was able to go to RCCL site and donate there.

Here is the link for anyone who might wants it.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/hurricane-disaster-relief

11am update from the NHC on Thursday

Dorian has fallen back to Category 2,  but strong, and will remain a hurricane right along the NC coast and through the Canadian Maritimes.  Lots of wind, rain, flooding and storm surge yet to go.

Cruising is gradually returning to normal. Miami, Everglades and Canaveral all operating again. Assessments being done for Coco Cay and Great Stirrup Cay.  Uncertain about how they weathered and when their staff can return to work.

Need to keep an eye on Bermuda cruise schedules as Dorian passes between NYC and Bermuda.

Well I was happy to see NCL Breakway is loading supplies to take to Nassau tomorrow, but Empress of the Seas has done one better. She is anchored off Freeport now, with tugs transferring loads of supplies to land.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/21478-royal-caribbean-s-empress-to-deliver-food-supplies-to-bahamas.html