Cruise Critic Community
PelicanBill

Atlantic storm Dorian

23 hours ago, geocruiser said:

I wish you well with the storm.  Let us know how you make out.

My place made it through.  We are less than 500 ft from the ocean.  I just hate it when I turned on the Weather Channel and they are broadcasting on the beach across the street from my house.

Wishing you the best.

We fared well with no damage.  There was literally no more than the tip of a branch in my backyard and there was no flooding.  Most of my back porch was bone dry. 

On 9/4/2019 at 2:36 PM, LHT28 said:

You could pick other areas of the World to cruise but  I bet they are not going to be  a cheap cruise

JMO

Yes, it's called "you get what you pay for." If you pay a bargain basement price, you assume the risk of a bargain basement experience- whether that even occurs on the ship or not is undetermined until the moment of sailing during hurricane season. 

Why are cruises so cheap in August, September and October??  See "Exhibit A" happening over this past week.  
In the past two weeks I must have booked, cancelled, rebooked and recancelled hotel reservations at least twice just trying to judge if I should leave, when I should leave, how far I should go, how long it might be until I could return.   All risks of living at the coast.   I am willing to take the risk, but every year it's the same old thing.  

All I am saying is IF you are a planner, and having uncertainty in your life makes you really nervous, please do not take the risk of booking a Caribbean cruise in August, September or October. The odds are pretty good that you will have some uncertainty and apprehension as you await storm forecasts.   I am not a person who loves risk, so I just don't book.  I know the prices are cheaper and I understand why they are cheaper.  It's not a risk I am willing to take. 

Besides, there really are no bargain basement prices on cruises anymore. Sure, they may be substantially less than other times of year but they are still not inexpensive- especially for folks who may not be able to cruise any other time.   We are lucky to be within a day's driving distance of Charleston, and all of the Florida ports.  We still usually drive in a day early.  But at least we aren't having to deal with airline reservations.   Sure, Miami and Ft, Lauderdale are a LONG days drive, but they are still doable in a day.  

Just calculate your risks. That's all I am saying. 

49 minutes ago, legaljen1969 said:

Just calculate your risks. That's all I am saying. 

I’m willing to take the gamble. As long as you have insurance and fly in a day or two before departure, I’ll cruise during hurricane season. I cruised in October two years ago. My daughter just disembarked yesterday. You have to be flexible. My Eastern Caribbean cruise turned into a Western Caribbean cruise. And my daughter’s seven day Eastern Caribbean cruise turned into a ten day Western Caribbean. 

Seriously, the chances of a major disruption or itinerary change during hurricane season is very low. Just get insurance, and you’ll be fine. 

Cruising again in a little over a week. Alaska. Not a big hurricane hotspot. However, in a moment of stupidity, I booked the flight to Seattle with a plane change in Houston. 

I’m already checking the tropical forecasts for possible systems in the Gulf. 

1 minute ago, LadyBeBop said:

I’m willing to take the gamble. As long as you have insurance and fly in a day or two before departure, I’ll cruise during hurricane season. I cruised in October two years ago. My daughter just disembarked yesterday. You have to be flexible. My Eastern Caribbean cruise turned into a Western Caribbean cruise. And my daughter’s seven day Eastern Caribbean cruise turned into a ten day Western Caribbean. 

I’m already checking the tropical forecasts for possible systems in the Gulf. 

You're definitely an experienced cruiser and quite flexible. I met you on Freedom in April 2015.  Happy cruising. 

2 hours ago, legaljen1969 said:

You're definitely an experienced cruiser and quite flexible. I met you on Freedom in April 2015.  Happy cruising. 

Yup. I remembered you. Wasn’t sure if you remembered me. 🙂

Happy cruising to you too. 

We’re heading home to Hilton Head Island today. Some who stayed said not much damage. Thank goodness. We remember Matthew in 2016.

2 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

We’re heading home to Hilton Head Island today. Some who stayed said not much damage. Thank goodness. We remember Matthew in 2016.

Happy to hear that you are going home.  I hope your home and you are safe.  Please let us know how your find things at home.  Wishing you the best.

We are fine.  Evacuation order lifted yesterday. Curfew lifted this morning.  Large super shelter closed, as most have returned home.  Didn't have but a couple of very small branches in our back yard.   The innermost section of our patio was bone dry. We probably had about a 9 inch section at the outer edge of the patio that even shows it rained. I was so shocked when I woke up yesterday morning to see that it didn't really even look like we had a thunderstorm. 

No structural damage  - it looks like someone took all the trees and shook them till their leaves and pine cones all fell off.

Lot of spanish moss everywhere but other than that - Hilton Head Island (north end anyway.....) dodged the bullet.  Don't know what the south end looks like. Off to Alaska next week on our HAL cruise!

1 hour ago, Diver2014 said:

No structural damage  - it looks like someone took all the trees and shook them till their leaves and pine cones all fell off.

Lot of spanish moss everywhere but other than that - Hilton Head Island (north end anyway.....) dodged the bullet.  Don't know what the south end looks like. Off to Alaska next week on our HAL cruise!

Very happy to hear that all is well with you.  It really is a lot of stress to go through with a hurricane.

Glad everyone is doing well. We picked up quite a few additions to the Oct 13 Breakaway cruise - from the canceled sep 1 cruise!

i continue to see a lot of help arriving in the Bahamas. Glad we are doing better for them than we did for Barbuda, St Maarten, Tortola, and Puerto Rico.