Neiuw Statemdam Aft balcony

Hoof Hearted

I just changed my balcony from mid-ship navigation deck to aft balcony navigation deck. I have heard that the closer you are to the front or back of the ship the more motion you get. Is it worth it for the view and having a cabin that is not located under the Lido Market? Is the motion a big difference from Mid ship to Aft?

Yes, cabins that are far forward, or far aft can experience more movement, IF the seas are rough. It is basic physics- there is always less movement near the very center of the ship. But the seas aren't always rough, so you may or may not notice anything. We have had aft cabins a couple of times, with only noticing the movement a little bit.

If you are in a true aft, the view is greater than if you are in a side facing balcony. Only you can decide what that is worth. You are not locked in your cabin, you can roam all over the ship, experiencing many views.

My husband and I have had two aft balconies in our 'cruising' life and much prefer them to the side-facing ones.  As the previous poster said, the views are just fantastic.  We've also had much less wind which can make sitting out there more pleasant with food, drinks and a good book.  We're in an aft on deck 7 of Eurodam in six weeks and really looking forward to it

We've never had the experience of more motion (maybe because we have yet to experience rougher conditions).  

I love aft cabins for the view. Watching the wake is mesmerizing. But you do get more motion. Maybe they've done something different with NS, but we were in an aft corner on the K and she shimmied in the slightest wind and when the waves came at the stern, she slapped them hard. Never had that in my 4 or 5 cruises in an aft on a Vista. 

I have an aft Vista suite for thanksgiving week on the 4th deck. What I've learned so far about vista suite is you get no suite perks but pay daily service charge rate of $16 pp suite rate.

Anyway, where do I go for my free coffee in the am? 

Are there coffee stations on each deck like X?

JoeMammy, you will get double credit for each day aboard and for each $300 that you spend as a perk for being in a "suite."  If you're close to a new Mariner Level, this extra credit could help.

Hoof Hearted, pack Bonine, which is seasickness/motion sickness medication that doesn't cause drowsiness like some other meds.  Make sure you take it before you need it though.  Once you start feeling sick, it's too late.  We normally take our first dose during lunch at embarkation.  We may take it for 2-3 more days and taper off afterwards, depending on the seas.  One dose is good for 24 hours.  Enjoy watching that wake and plan to be so soothed that it's hard to stay awake.   😴

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JoeMammy said:

I have an aft Vista suite for thanksgiving week on the 4th deck. What I've learned so far about vista suite is you get no suite perks but pay daily service charge rate of $16 pp suite rate.

Anyway, where do I go for my free coffee in the am? 

Are there coffee stations on each deck like X?

Coffee in the Lido or order from room service. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was not enamoured with our aft balcony last year, and won't be searching them out again.  I do happen to love the "sea breeze", and like to see where we are headed, not where we've been...  I found that there was a lot more rocking at the back of the ship - but we had a rockier than normal cruise. We missed a port for the first time ever in 14 cruises due to rough seas.