Cruise Critic Community
dharp

Our Amber Cove "beach day" Budget friendly

Just got back from the Breeze. Nice trip. Researched before the trip and even though the Falls would be cool, didn't think the Hike would be something I'd want to do. I've been to the Blue Hole in Jamaica , and it was awesome, so we have that memory. So to Amber Cove, thought we'd just hang by the $85 Million pool area that Carnival built. We did start at the pool. It was nice, (tip: When you get off the ship and go thru the shopping area, hang a right. You can see the Cabana's on the water as you walk off the pier.) So we walked more towards the "lazy river" and bathrooms. We put our stuff down and was going to make a day out of it. For us, we'd rather be on a beach if we are cruising. So I left the family and went for the 10 minute walk to the taxi's. So for $2 pp they will take you to the beach that is right beside the pier. (beats the hell out of walking!) They want to take you to another beach that is in town for $50 round trip. We just stuck to our plan. 

So for a $4 snack from the pier. 

We brought our own water and snorkel gear

$2x3 plus tip total = $10 Nobody really hassles you . Guys want you to order drinks from them, some people were, we didn't. The guy who talked with us and led us to our chair, wanted us to buy from his shop. We didn't buy anything, but he had some decent stuff. He also let us know we could get Wi Fi free from the Resort that is right there.

Also Massage girls came buy. Seemed like the price was right $35 for an hour and they have a place besides the beach to do it. Then some lady came buy who was cheaper, but we declined. 

So for us, not just staying at a pool, this beach was fine! Had a tree line for shade, it was not rocky, and you could walk far out with no waves so perfect for kids. 

I did tip the dude $6 just because we didn't buy any drinks or stuff from his shop. He seemed fine. The taxi was right there to get back to the ship. 

$30 beach day, and we went back to the ship to eat. 

(You can see the beach from the Cruise ship if you look to the left of the pier. There's a few chairs and you can see the Resort buildings. It's nothing to make you say WoW, but for us, it was nice and relaxing. We'd do it again. 

Thank you so much for the information.  We will be there in February.  My husband and have been there before... we did a snorkel excursions... but we don't want to do that again.  This time our daughter and granddaughter will be with us so I'd like to do something beside hang out at the pool.  The only thing I would really like to buy there is amber.  Did you see any at the beach?  Or maybe I should as the taxi driver where I would go for some? 

Did you not like the Carnival pool area? We are thinking about doing this for our Oct 5 cruise. We have done the waterfalls and are not really interested in other excursions at this time. We will have a beach day at Grand Turk so we were looking forward to checking out the Zipline at the pool area. 

Was there a way to walk to this beach without a taxi?