Cruise Critic Community
ladydiedie

Disembark to flight home

Hello fellow cruisers.  

I am flying from Baltimore to Miami for a cruise on November 23, 2019.  The flight down to Miami is fine but my return flight is November 29, at 8:30 am.  Our cruise arrives back in Miami at 7:00 am.  If I get special disembarked at 7:00 am would I be able to make my 8:30 am flight out of Miami?  There are not really any other options for that day.  Any advice would be appreciated!

I would not even consider a flight that early.  First guests won't be getting off until around 30-45 minutes after arrival.

No way. Remember TSA at the airport. What happens if there is a delay in ship's arrival, etc.  You might make it to airport but not to plane.

Holy moly, no!  You say that you have no other options.  There MUST be other options, simply less desirable ones.

Can you try a different airlines or airport?  How about flying out of Dulles or Reagan in DC?  I know it's not ideal, but you'd probably have more options on the return.    

Posted (edited)

You are way too late in arranging flights for the busiest travel weekend of the year- might be best to stay till Monday or even Tuesday, or pay 3x normal prices.

Edited by Biker19

4 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

You are way too late in arranging flights for the busiest travel day of the year- might be best to stay till Monday or even Tuesday, or pay 3x normal prices.

Wow, yes, Thanksgiving is as late as it can be this year.  The 29th is the day after Thanksgiving.  (I'm so glad that I can DRIVE to my cruise on November 30!  😄 ) (although the day after Thanksgiving is NOT the busiest day of the year, it is very busy)

Posted (edited)

You will never make that flight. Try to reschedule for a later flight or stay over one night in Miami and fly home on Sunday or even Monday. Let us know how you make out. You must know that flying on Thanksgiving weekend is by far the most stressful time to fly. An 8:30AM flight from MIA is virtually impossible to make, especially on that specific weekend.

Edited by Corby114

1 minute ago, Corby114 said:

You will never make that flight. Try to reschedule for a later flight or stay over one night in Miami and fly home on Sunday. Let us know how you make out.

One night's stay would get her to Saturday.  🙂 

2 hours ago, ladydiedie said:

Hello fellow cruisers.  

I am flying from Baltimore to Miami for a cruise on November 23, 2019.  The flight down to Miami is fine but my return flight is November 29, at 8:30 am.  Our cruise arrives back in Miami at 7:00 am.  If I get special disembarked at 7:00 am would I be able to make my 8:30 am flight out of Miami?  There are not really any other options for that day.  Any advice would be appreciated!

Perhaps you are only looking at Miami airport?  Fort Lauderdale is not that far.  Many travelers cruise out of Miami but fly through FLL.  Southwest, for example, does not use MIA, only FLL.

There are flights you can get FLL to BWI on November 29.

Not cheap, but you are choosing to fly during the Thanksgiving holiday.

I don't know if this link will work, or if it will time out:

https://www.southwest.com/air/booking/select.html?int=HOMEQBOMAIR&adultPassengersCount=1&departureDate=2019-11-29&destinationAirportCode=BWI&fareType=USD&originationAirportCode=FLL&passengerType=ADULT&returnDate=&seniorPassengersCount=0&tripType=oneway&departureTimeOfDay=ALL_DAY&reset=true&returnTimeOfDay=ALL_DAY

(actually the 4:05 flight is "only" $207)

Merion Mom, sorry about the mistake. I thought the 29th was a Saturday. Still will never make a flight that early no matter what day of the week, especially a holiday weekend at MIA. That airport is always a zoo and I personally always plan accordingly.

1 minute ago, Corby114 said:

Merion Mom, sorry about the mistake. I thought the 29th was a Saturday. Still will never make a flight that early no matter what day of the week, especially a holiday weekend at MIA. That airport is always a zoo and I personally always plan accordingly.

You are sure right about MIA being a zoo!  😮

There are plenty of American flights out of MIA in the afternoon to BWI.

I wish that Ladydiedie would come back and explain why she thinks that she doesn't have options.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ladydiedie said:

Hello fellow cruisers.  

You will never make it. We had expedited departure and did not get our bags till 9:15 am. There is always the chance for a screw up, like issues with the gangway and alternatively debarking on deck 2 along with 300 other passengers as we experienced yesterday with Empress.

Add in security at the airport that can take at least 20 to 30 minutes. You should re-book your return flight, because you will not make an 8:30 am departure. 

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking