Favorite Things to Do in Nassau (without excursions)

jessmarieislove

9 hours ago, mskaufman said:

Where did you see this.  We will be there in the next month and would like to know if there is a place to avoid.

I tried Googling this and looked on the Carnival forum and don't see anything about it.  I think it's a reference to that robbery that happened 10 years ago.  People hear about it and think it's something recent.

5 hours ago, CruisinCrow said:

I tried Googling this and looked on the Carnival forum and don't see anything about it.  I think it's a reference to that robbery that happened 10 years ago.  People hear about it and think it's something recent.

great assumption which is why its dangerous to assume or stereotype

pride.JPG

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mskaufman said:

We have been to Nassau a half dozen times.  We have gone to the beach and sometimes just walked around.  My wife is thinking that this trip she might just stay on the ship.

I find that sad.  We were just two weeks ago for probably the two-dozenth time).  We do something different every time, have always felt safe, and find the Bahamian people to be kind.  If it makes you feel safer, do something with a group.  I posted a review of our tour with Islandz Tours here: http://susancrow.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-new-riu.html  It was very enjoyable, we got to try lots of different kinds of rum and learned more about the history of the country.

In September, we did a day pass at Breezes (took the bus both ways), then walked up to Graycliff's to buy chocolates.  The most dangerous part about walking around Nassau is the traffic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nassau is one of those ports you always hear good and bad about.  It's always a good idea to check the state department's travel website for current travel advisories.  Currently they are recommending folks to exercise caution in Arawak Cay (the fish fry), especially at night.  

We went a number of years ago to Arawak Cay and have walked around Nassau previously, however at this time I don't know that I would feel safe doing what we did and would rather just pay the cab fare for that added bit of safety in Nassau.  

We've been to Arawak Cay and found the food just incredible.  The distillery was lots of fun and I really enjoyed the tour of Fort Fincastle and the Queens Staircase.  That is truly a sight to see!  

On 12/8/2019 at 9:07 PM, mikevet said:

is the Poop Deck restaurant still open?

Yes.

Great place for local food, good drinks and good view of the marina.

Very varied menu - apps to full meals. Plenty of seafood also.

Take a taxi, both because of distance and security.

I’ve been to Nassau more times than I can count over a 25 year span, so for our last cruise that stopped there, I planned on staying on the ship thinking that I’ve seen and done it all. Thankfully, my brother in law convinced the group to get a boat for the day and explore beyond the usual spots. It was, without a doubt, one of the most amazing days I’ve ever had in Nassau. We went to secluded beaches, and went swimming surrounded by turtles. I developed a completely new appreciation for Nassau. Here are some photos: 

E9614DB0-9CC7-4548-A1F2-D2CFE5B28D3C.jpeg

3233B8AE-A20E-44CF-A2E1-65D226498B19.jpeg

77814222-5CF5-493D-9935-16A7D2A3A525.jpeg

7233265E-B20D-40F4-984E-6D2FEC3F0099.jpeg

1AC1CF1D-677F-4DCF-8F57-E9080004DDAB.jpeg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tapi said:

I’ve been to Nassau more times than I can count over a 25 year span, so for our last cruise that stopped there, I planned on staying on the ship thinking that I’ve seen and done it all. Thankfully, my brother in law convinced the group to get a boat for the day and explore beyond the usual spots. It was, without a doubt, one of the most amazing days I’ve ever had in Nassau. We went to secluded beaches, and went swimming surrounded by turtles. I developed a completely new appreciation for Nassau. Here are some photos: 

E9614DB0-9CC7-4548-A1F2-D2CFE5B28D3C.jpeg

3233B8AE-A20E-44CF-A2E1-65D226498B19.jpeg

77814222-5CF5-493D-9935-16A7D2A3A525.jpeg

7233265E-B20D-40F4-984E-6D2FEC3F0099.jpeg

1AC1CF1D-677F-4DCF-8F57-E9080004DDAB.jpeg

Wow! Looks awesome! Can you share how and where it was booked?

36 minutes ago, want2go said:

Wow! Looks awesome! Can you share how and where it was booked?

We went with Bay West Adventures. We split the cost of the boat for the day between 12 family members, which made the per person cost cheaper than going on a shore excursion with 100 other people.

Bay West has a website, and you can book directly there. We did interact quite a bit with them via email as well. They were very responsive and professional.

The young man who was our boat captain for the day was the owner as well. From the cruise terminal, we walked along the water towards Señor Frog’s where he was waiting for us. We boarded the boat and we first made one stop so that we could purchase drinks and snacks to take with us. After that, we sailed to the coast of an island off Cable Beach where there were tons of turtles in the ocean. We went in the water and just swam while these huge turtles glided around us.

From there we sailed towards Rose Island (which is where those photos were taken). Our captain told us that he wanted to take us farther away to avoid the crowds. As we sailed, we saw sections of the beach with multiple large boats anchored off shore and hundreds of people milling around.  But we kept going until we had the beach all to ourselves. Once we got to where we were going, we were the only humans in sight. It was surreal to be in such a beautiful and secluded spot. 

After that, we worked our way back to the ship, but we made one more stop over an offshore reef so that we could snorkel for a few minutes. 

It was truly a wonderful day, and it was SO different than every other time I’ve been to Nassau. Normally I associate Nassau with hordes of day tripping cruise passengers clogging the streets, pushy vendors, and cheap souvenirs, but this visit felt like I went to a completely new destination. Absolutely worth every penny. 

Edited by Tapi

On 11/25/2019 at 11:29 AM, CruisinCrow said:

I find that sad.  We were just two weeks ago for probably the two-dozenth time).  We do something different every time, have always felt safe, and find the Bahamian people to be kind.  If it makes you feel safer, do something with a group.  I posted a review of our tour with Islandz Tours here: http://susancrow.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-new-riu.html  It was very enjoyable, we got to try lots of different kinds of rum and learned more about the history of the country.

In September, we did a day pass at Breezes (took the bus both ways), then walked up to Graycliff's to buy chocolates.  The most dangerous part about walking around Nassau is the traffic.

12 hours ago, DTZSCruise said:

Can you tell me how to take the bus to Breezes?

Also, did you enjoy your day there?  It is hard to find recent reviews.

Bus stop is across from the straw market - short walk from the pier.

Take the #10 bus. Fare is $1.25.

Some suggest walking a bit farther to McDonald’s to avoid the bus weaving through all the one-way streets downtown, but risk is high that the bus will be full by then.

Tell the driver where you want to get off. Locals are also very helpful in helping you find your stop. Chat up your bus-mates - most Bahamians are very friendly!

so last week i was more daring than years before. went further than straw market. went up to senor frogs and around the bend. then saw a hill approaching (wanted to go to the hotel for chocolate) but didnt go up. cut across the pedestrian path near the pirate museum. all that was ok to walk as far as the shady factor. headed back the main street past all the diamond places with the 8 ft high fence making sure you dont cross the street. all good and normal city.

then decided to head to queens staircase. that was like night and day. total slum town on the street i headed up to the hospital on. literally stank. walked over old smelly sneakers and horrible buildings in disrepair. past a lot that was just 4 bucks to park at (a steal). got to the hospital and saw the hill and with our 3rd member of our party with bad knees made the decision to give up. just really bad looking neighborhood regardless.  in a way reminded me of atlantic city. along the boardwalk billion dollar hotel. get one block away, total blight. 

no matter where you are the sidewalks are totally uneven and narrow. you HAVE to look down and watch where you are going even more than normal. it's almost comical how narrow the street next to the water is with 2 way traffic and parking. 

On 10/29/2019 at 10:45 PM, Domino D said:

Wow, if you were within a block of Fat Tuesday I'm surprised they were that concerned.  You were in the middle of the tourist area, like 2 blocks from the cruise terminal.  That area is usually really crowded, and pretty well patrolled by police.

If wander outside the normal tourist center, it can be more intimidating, but I would not have thought that about a block from the terminal. 

I agree about Blue Lagoon, we live it there. 

Over the years I’ve up and down Bay Street and Parliament St alone and with friends. It was still perfectly safe the last time I was there, maybe 5 years ago. I’m really sorry that’s not true any more. 

Some of the shops were very nice, like the Scottish Shop and the Land leather one. 

I used  to buy all of my Lancôme at the Beauty Spot? Shop? can’t quite remember, on Bay St. 

On 12/26/2019 at 10:50 PM, DTZSCruise said:

Can you tell me how to take the bus to Breezes?

Also, did you enjoy your day there?  It is hard to find recent reviews.

We did enjoy our day there but the hotel definitely needs some updating.  I prefer the RIU on Paradise Island, although it is more expensive.  

Here is my review and some pictures from that day (scroll about half way down the page): http://susancrow.blogspot.com/2019/09/mariner-of-seas.html

On 1/1/2020 at 11:39 PM, dawnbt said:

Is that walking distance from the pier?

John Watling's is about a 15 minute walk.  The Fish Fry is a mile and a half away so it's walkable as long as the weather isn't too hot.  We've taken the bus there and walked back.

Edited by CruisinCrow

On 8/25/2019 at 10:37 AM, jessmarieislove said:

I'm not a big "tourist-y" person. I really like to explore the places I visit. What are some of your favorite things to do in Nassau? I went on my first cruise last year, and I found a quiet spot down Junkanoo Beach, went to the Ardastra Gardens, and just did some walking. Since my next cruise will be an overnight in Nassau and this trip will be adults only, I'll have a lot more time to explore. I'm interested in what others have discovered. Thank you!

Hello,

Interested in going to the Gardens. Did you take a taxi there? Just wondering how much it will cost to get there and the best way to do it. I don't mind walking but have heard so many bad things about robberies, etc. in Nassau that I was thinking a cab ride might be safer. 

Thanks for your help,

Pam

13 hours ago, cruiselovin'girl said:

Hello,

Interested in going to the Gardens. Did you take a taxi there? Just wondering how much it will cost to get there and the best way to do it. I don't mind walking but have heard so many bad things about robberies, etc. in Nassau that I was thinking a cab ride might be safer. 

Thanks for your help,

Pam

We took the bus there.  It's not a long walk from where the bus drops you off (at the Fish Fry).  The bus is $1.25 a person.  I think a taxi would be $18 for 2 people.  That's the cost for a taxi from the port to Cable Beach anyway.  The zoo is a bit closer so it might cost a bit less than that.

10 hours ago, CruisinCrow said:

We took the bus there.  It's not a long walk from where the bus drops you off (at the Fish Fry).  The bus is $1.25 a person.  I think a taxi would be $18 for 2 people.  That's the cost for a taxi from the port to Cable Beach anyway.  The zoo is a bit closer so it might cost a bit less than that.

Thanks for the information!